Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 530989 times)

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #3420 on: February 04, 2021, 08:21:56 PM »
I agree with the sentiment, too. It's great. What those precautions are and how much you're willing to sacrifice in order to keep your grandparents in your life... that's where things get dicey. Wearing a crappy mask around your chin while eating a snack in Bubby's kitchen after having danced at a different chasuna every day that week isn't doing Bubby any favors.
Yet not spending significant time with them is a surefire recipe for degenerative decline.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3421 on: February 04, 2021, 08:49:24 PM »
Yet not spending significant time with them is a surefire recipe for degenerative decline.

You do realize this whole conversation is taking about *after* someone tested positive for Covid?

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3422 on: February 04, 2021, 08:54:57 PM »

100%. So if that's a priority for you, maybe don't go to weddings. Having your cake and eating it isn't really an option.

*you doesn't mean *you*
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: February 04, 2021, 08:55:15 PM »
You do realize this whole conversation is taking about *after* someone tested positive for Covid?
No. It started that way, but I don't believe
yes. so we don't dismiss our grandparents from our lives for a few years. Rather we take some precautions and then leave the rest to Hashem.
was meant after testing positive. Especially with the "few years" in there.

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: February 04, 2021, 08:56:53 PM »
100%. So if that's a priority for you, maybe don't go to weddings. Having your cake and eating it isn't really an option.

*you doesn't mean *you*
What does that mean?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3425 on: February 04, 2021, 09:00:41 PM »
What does that mean?

It means that we change how we live when we have kids because they become our priority. During a pandemic, if having our elderly and higher risk family members in our lives is important to us (as it should be), other things need to be sacrificed. We can't do whatever we want and then put our elderly at risk because we don't want them to be lonely.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3426 on: February 04, 2021, 09:16:21 PM »
No. It started that way, but I don't believe was meant after testing positive. Especially with the "few years" in there.

Exactly. It started one way and then was switched to a completely different scenario. So now people who said, "hold up, if you've tested positive, don't be visiting grandma" are made to look like they're saying "never visit grandma, ever".

That's an extremely dishonest way to have a discussion, and chiming in in the middle of that to speak about degenerative decline based on positions no one actually took is equally dishonest.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #3427 on: February 04, 2021, 09:33:12 PM »
And those arguing with him weren't arguing for total shutdown, only for a better balance
Well,  better balance is up for discussion.   I'm trying to be reasonable and find my own responsible balance. I think I'm taking quality of life a notch up from you. But I respect your opinions because I don't think k there is a right or wrong here.

No. It started that way, but I don't believe was meant after testing positive. Especially with the "few years" in there.
Not sure what you mean. Just to clarify my stance.  All I said was feeling fine, go to grandma with precautions.  Obviously once we got a positive then grandma (and the rest of the world) is off limits until further notice.    And I had a seperate issue with testing testing no reason.  Thats all
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 09:36:53 PM by Mordyk »
#TYH

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: February 04, 2021, 09:41:56 PM »
Well,  better balance is up for discussion.   I'm trying to be reasonable and find my own responsible balance. I think I'm taking quality of life a notch up from you. But I respect your opinions because I don't think k there is a right or wrong here.
Not sure what you mean. Just to clarify my stance.  All I said was feeling fine, go to grandma with precautions.  Obviously once we got a positive then grandma (and the rest of the world) is off limits until further notice.    And I had a seperate issue with testing testing no reason.  Thats all
What is the issue with testing? Testing just saved you from going to your Bubby and infecting her.

Online PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: February 04, 2021, 09:43:00 PM »
What is the issue with testing? Testing just saved you from going to your Bubby and infecting her.
'Unnecessary'
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: February 05, 2021, 12:18:44 AM »
Gonna chime in with my own experience. We finally made it to Brooklyn and visited my wife’s grandparents first time all year. We decided to be extra careful, despite the fact that we’ve been more careful than almost anyone around us, and never been knowingly exposed. But just to be extra cautious (and that’s the way I truly felt, as if it was basically unnecessary), we visited one outside, and the other 15 feet away with a mask. Turns out we developed symptoms within 48 hours and I easily could’ve killed one of them that’s immune compromised. I know I would’ve been at fault and could never forgive myself. 
Visibly Jewish

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: February 05, 2021, 12:20:19 AM »
Gonna chime in with my own experience. We finally made it to Brooklyn and visited my wife’s grandparents first time all year. We decided to be extra careful, despite the fact that we’ve been more careful than almost anyone around us, and never been knowingly exposed. But just to be extra cautious (and that’s the way I truly felt, as if it was basically unnecessary), we visited one outside, and the other 15 feet away with a mask. Turns out we developed symptoms within 48 hours and I easily could’ve killed one of them that’s immune compromised. I know I would’ve been at fault and could never forgive myself.
Wow

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: February 05, 2021, 01:04:25 AM »

yes. so we don't dismiss our grandparents from our lives for a few years. Rather we take some precautions and then leave the rest to Hashem.
I just want to point out something that should be obvious. A person who in normal times makes sure to be present in the lives of their elderly relatives, and takes covid very seriously, isn't going to suddenly cut off all contact (dismiss them from their lives for a few years, as you put it). They'll call more, find ways to interact in person as safely as they can, etc. If someone uses covid as an excuse to lessen their interactions with elderly relatives, they probably weren't doing much interaction before covid to begin with.

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: February 05, 2021, 07:37:44 AM »
I just want to point out something that should be obvious. A person who in normal times makes sure to be present in the lives of their elderly relatives, and takes covid very seriously, isn't going to suddenly cut off all contact (dismiss them from their lives for a few years, as you put it). They'll call more, find ways to interact in person as safely as they can, etc. If someone uses covid as an excuse to lessen their interactions with elderly relatives, they probably weren't doing much interaction before covid to begin with.
There is still a noticeable decline in very old people due to the lack of socialization, such as: not going to minyan, not having Shabbos sleepover company, and yes, not being touched, kissed, and hugged. That being said, it's better to be alive!

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: February 05, 2021, 07:50:22 AM »
I don't have any issue with that (I myself visited my parents with my kids). I'm just saying, if that's the case - then why wouldn't you want to know that one of you is positive to avoid infecting grandparents?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: February 05, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »
I don't have any issue with that (I myself visited my parents with my kids). I'm just saying, if that's the case - then why wouldn't you want to know that one of you is positive to avoid infecting grandparents?
Then why don't we all test every morning just in case?
#TYH

Offline Mordyk

• View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: February 05, 2021, 09:34:52 AM »
There is still a noticeable decline in very old people due to the lack of socialization, such as: not going to minyan, not having Shabbos sleepover company, and yes, not being touched, kissed, and hugged. That being said, it's better to be alive!

See what I wrote some time ago.
We recently had a family kiddush and when we asked my grandmother that is mid 70s to consider not coming she said she is not going back to lockdown. She is single and quarantine really messed with her psychological health. So she would rather be around than be locked up and healthy.  Which is very sad and we can't judge.
#TYH

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: February 05, 2021, 09:36:49 AM »
Then why don't we all test every morning just in case?

If you're in high-risk situations every day, testing a couple times a week isn't a horrible idea.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: February 05, 2021, 09:37:59 AM »
If you're in high-risk situations every day, testing a couple times a week isn't a horrible idea.

How often do medical staff in COVID wards test? They probably all already have COVID and/or vaccination in any case.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: February 05, 2021, 09:45:08 AM »
How often do medical staff in COVID wards test? They probably all already have COVID and/or vaccination in any case.

I'm not sure, but IIRC it was pretty regularly. And those are people who have full PPE and are trained in proper PPE use.