Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 522753 times)

Offline Moshke

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #3920 on: April 04, 2021, 11:36:00 PM »
Anyone know where I can take a PCR tonight for results before tomorrow night?
Chai urgent care.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: April 05, 2021, 12:40:32 AM »
Any urgent cares have vaccines available, or just Chemed?

Online Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: April 06, 2021, 12:00:38 PM »
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2021/04/exclusive-lakewood-emergency-responder-contracts-covid-2-months-after-being-vaccinated.html

TLS up to their usual antivax antics. There have been many cases of reinfection in Lakewood over the past year (confirmed this with multiple doctors - not enough for real concern though). How many of these reinfections has TLS reported? Zero.

Yet when there's one (1) case of reinfection after the vaccine - TLS breathlessly reports this EXCLUSIVE news.

As an aside, the numbers in Lakewood have been phenomenal over the past weeks (Ocean County numbers and Chemed numbers). (Though there are still people still contracting it, I know a young woman who just had a bad case right before yom tov.)

Chemed 7 day average:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 12:11:13 PM by Euclid »

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3924 on: April 06, 2021, 12:09:42 PM »

Yet when there's one (1) case of reinfection from after the vaccine - TLS breathlessly reports this EXCLUSIVE news.

FTFY

As an aside, the numbers in Lakewood have been phenomenal over the past weeks (Ocean County numbers and Chemed numbers). (Though there are still people still contracting it, I know a young woman who just had a bad case right before yom tov.)

Keep in mind anyone vaccinated, or otherwise asymptomatic, most likely isn't getting tested. How much that makes a difference for practical purposes... Who knows.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: April 06, 2021, 12:11:27 PM »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: April 06, 2021, 12:21:05 PM »
Keep in mind anyone vaccinated, or otherwise asymptomatic, most likely isn't getting tested. How much that makes a difference for practical purposes... Who knows.

Wish there was data studied/released comparing Ct of vaccinated vs. unvaccinated asymptomatic positives, even better if it was using the same tests/assays for an apples-to-apples comparison, additional bonus if they included Ct for symptomatic positives.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: April 06, 2021, 12:31:01 PM »
FTFY

in the general community u are correct but nursing home staff (at least here in NY) are still required to get tested twice a week. Most of us have been vaccinated already.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3928 on: April 06, 2021, 01:11:20 PM »
in the general community u are correct but nursing home staff (at least here in NY) are still required to get tested twice a week. Most of us have been vaccinated already.

I'd assume the same goes for many in medical fields, but I'm not sure how much that would impact Lakewood's numbers.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: April 07, 2021, 05:33:14 PM »
Repost from Tehillim thread:

Name added.

Ruchama Rena Basya bas Shifra Rus
Off the ventilator Bh! Still needs teffilos, long road to recovery.
Off oxygen bh
Coming home tomorrow iyh
מזל טוב

She had a baby girl a few hours ago!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: April 07, 2021, 07:11:22 PM »
Repost from Tehillim thread:
מזל טוב

She had a baby girl a few hours ago!

BH mazal tov! Hope mother and baby are well bez”h!
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Online Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: April 08, 2021, 04:18:24 PM »
Article Published by Torah Bytes for the Jewish Soul

Interview with Rabbi Avrohom Lefkowitz Shlita, Rav and Rosh Kollel of Kollel Bnei Torah, Lakewood, NJ

"Unfortunately, people talk about Lakewood and social distancing without knowing the facts. While social distancing is important, it is equally important for people to socially distance themselves from negative online chats and discussions that disparage Lakewood and are potentially more dangerous than the pandemic itself."

How has the pandemic impacted your kehillah?

We were affected like every kehillah, but I’d like to focus on the positive effects. Our kehillah bonded together in a significant way to support each other when mispallelim were sick, providing for their needs and being mevaker choleh. And the connection between mispallel and Rav was strengthened due to the many she’eilos that came up. The olam was given the opportunity to understand the importance of consulting with a Rav and recognizing that the Rav is and will be there for them.

From my own perspective, I was able to be mechazek everyone at a time when we were all anxious. Our Daf Hayomi shiur continued over the phone, as was done in other kehillos, and it will, b’ezras Hashem, go down in history as a continuation of this sacred limud in the most challenging of times. I was able to offer shiurim that never would have been offered otherwise, like a Zoom Pesach shiur showing how to kasher each part of the kitchen [with Zoom being also accessible using a traditional phone]. And my Rebbetzin was able to help out with her many messages of chizuk and guidance.

Can you comment on the divergent approaches between Lakewood and other communities regarding handling the pandemic?

Unfortunately, there is a lot of negative talk that needs clarification. From generations dating back to the Dor Hamidbar, there have been differences of opinion. But the general rule that binds us is that we listen to chachamim. There is no singular voice; we don’t have Moshe Rabbeinu to give us guidance. Each community needs to listen to its Rav. This is critical, because if we are to decide that a particular Rav is incorrect, it results in a total disregard for authority.

Each community, like Teaneck or Brooklyn, should follow its Rabbanim and doctors, and I would hope and expect that those communities feel the same about Lakewood. If Lakewood Rabbanim and doctors feel that the social distance policies we are following are safe, then I listen to them. When we have tax issues, we go to our accountant; when a health issue arises, we go to our doctor. No one ever doubts their instructions. It should be the same with responsible Rabbanim. We should accord them the same respect and trust as we do professionals.

How do you respond to criticism of Lakewood’s seeming leniency toward social distancing?

I think there needs to be reeducation about how Lakewood dealt with this pandemic. We were hit tremendously hard because there was no warning beforehand. But the minute the state instructed us to close down, we did. Lakewood Rabbanim fully supported state and health department mandates. Yeshivos, kollelim and shuls closed down. In my kehillah, as in most Lakewood kehillos, we did not go to shul until Hatzolah and the Rabbanim advised us to. By and large, everyone listened to the Rabbanim and authorities, and we can’t be held responsible for those who did not.

Unfortunately, people talk about Lakewood and social distancing without knowing the facts. While social distancing is important, it is equally important for people to socially distance themselves from negative online chats and discussions that disparage Lakewood and are potentially more dangerous than the pandemic itself. Bashing a community of close to one hundred thousand frum Jews has absolutely no to’eles and is a form of pure lashon hara.

Furthermore, we have to distinguish between Lakewood proper and out of Lakewood. No frum Yid would walk into a secular establishment without a mask and without strictly adhering to government and health department regulations. What we do inside our mosdos and shuls is an internal matter and we can’t control the media when they unjustly disparage our community.

In what way did the pandemic affect Lakewood’s vast chinuch network?

Chinuch was definitely affected but only in the short term, because Lakewood got their schools back up earlier than others. I think this really benefited the talmidim and saved their parents’ sanity. Before opening up, Lakewood mosdos also decided against introducing Zoom and exposing children to technology. Instead, they relied on using the phone.

Although this method is not as effective as Zoom, in the long run it protects against possible exposure to the internet, which is more hazardous than COVID. Baruch Hashem, we have not had the sort of interruptions that exist in other communities, to the credit of askanim, and particularly Agudas Yisrael, who intervened on behalf of yeshivos and served as liaisons with government officials.

What overriding message from this ordeal do you impart to your community?

The mesorah of the Gedolim after the Holocaust was not to say this happened because of a particular reason. Rather, the Rambam says that when there is a tzaarah in the world, a person should daven and take it to heart. Otherwise, he is considered to be an achzari. Hashem is sending a message.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3932 on: April 08, 2021, 05:34:34 PM »
What overriding message from this ordeal do you impart to your community?

The mesorah of the Gedolim after the Holocaust was not to say this happened because of a particular reason. Rather, the Rambam says that when there is a tzaarah in the world, a person should daven and take it to heart. Otherwise, he is considered to be an achzari. Hashem is sending a message.
Not sure where he gets this from. I can find a number of gedolim who did point to particular items.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: April 08, 2021, 06:07:03 PM »
If Lakewood Rabbanim and doctors feel that the social distance policies we are following are safe, then I listen to them.

Are there any Lakewood doctors on record as "feeling that the social distance policies we are following are safe?" The only signed letters I've seen from Lakewood doctors over the past year encourage mask-wearing and social distancing. Even if some are firmer than others, I haven't seen any medical professional saying that 500-person unmasked weddings are prudent or safe. What am I missing?

Offline Jellybelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: April 08, 2021, 06:17:17 PM »
If Lakewood Rabbanim and doctors feel that the social distance policies we are following are safe, then I listen to them.

Are there any Lakewood doctors on record as "feeling that the social distance policies we are following are safe?" The only signed letters I've seen from Lakewood doctors over the past year encourage mask-wearing and social distancing. Even if some are firmer than others, I haven't seen any medical professional saying that 500-person unmasked weddings are prudent or safe. What am I missing?
So basically you only listen to Rabbis when you understand them.
Got it

Online Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: April 08, 2021, 06:24:32 PM »
Got it
R' Lefkowitz is the one who said to listen to Rabbonim and doctors.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: April 08, 2021, 06:26:14 PM »
Got it
You only listen to Rebbes when they make sense and the question is within the spectrum their opinion is intended to decide. See dedicated thread for proof.

As the article says, just like you don’t follow your accountant or doctor if you know they’re wrong or divergent from prevailing beliefs, you don’t follow your rabbi.

במקום חילול ה׳ אין חולקים כבוד לרב
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: April 09, 2021, 09:59:08 AM »

Not everything could and should be in a signed public letter.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline iwlw2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: April 09, 2021, 11:22:34 AM »
Not everything could and should be in a signed public letter.
That's a bit of a copout. I don't believe that there is a single doctor in town that would have signed off on the weddings that were taking place through the summer and beginning of the winter, had someone asked them. The question is if anyone asked them....

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: April 09, 2021, 11:26:01 AM »
That's a bit of a copout. I don't believe that there is a single doctor in town that would have signed off on the weddings that were taking place through the summer and beginning of the winter, had someone asked them. The question is if anyone asked them....
IDK about the doctors, but many rabbanim participated in them.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.