Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 536790 times)

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #4360 on: August 09, 2021, 03:03:07 PM »
I don't think that was too common for COVID either.
Happened to me and my oldest daughter in April of 2020. Lasted a few days.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: August 09, 2021, 03:21:48 PM »
How about loss of taste/smell and otherwise feeling all well? That would probably be a Covid exclusive symptom.
In a time and place where covid is prevalent, it would make sense to start with the assumption that it's covid.  But even before covid, lots of things caused loss of smell without cold-like symptoms.  Sometimes due to chemical damage, as in smokers.  Sometimes due to physical blockage, like nasal polyps, that a person might be totally unaware of.  Or due to an infection that's already been cleared but this symptom remains.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/loss-of-smell/basics/causes/sym-20050804

In fact, although everyone knows that DDF was the first to clearly associate loss of smell with covid  :), this wasn't the first place to report the symptom.  Difference is that when it was reported elsewhere, doctors knew that it often occurred with respiratory infections, so didn't immediately list it as a covid-related symptom. 

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: August 09, 2021, 04:20:38 PM »

Happened to my wife and a few other family members. (Interestingly, all females.)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #4363 on: August 09, 2021, 04:23:29 PM »
Happened to my wife and a few other family members. (Interestingly, all females.)
Happened to my daughter purim time but she then tested negative for antibodies.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: August 09, 2021, 10:04:06 PM »
Both I and my wife had that. No stuffed nose, but lost smell a week later.

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: August 11, 2021, 08:49:46 AM »
I was told that there's been a big increase in prescriptions for HCQ and ivermectin in Lakewood.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: August 11, 2021, 08:42:45 PM »
I went to MYCARE (in Westgate) last night and asked for an Antibody test with a number. I was in-and-out in less than 10 minutes. This morning, I got a text with results, and I logged into my portal for them.

Now I need help figuring out what they mean. Can anyone shed some light on how high these are, and what the second line means? TIA

I took another antibody test this week, and here are the results:

I'm now officially accepting input as to whether or not I should get the vaccine, or test again in a few weeks to see my antibody level then.

Please base your answers on my specific situation, and not on your overall shittos about taking or not taking the vaccine. (If that's possible...)

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #4367 on: August 11, 2021, 10:54:22 PM »
I took another antibody test this week, and here are the results:

I'm now officially accepting input as to whether or not I should get the vaccine, or test again in a few weeks to see my antibody level then.

Please base your answers on my specific situation, and not on your overall shittos about taking or not taking the vaccine. (If that's possible...)

What would you be looking for in a few weeks?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #4368 on: August 11, 2021, 11:12:35 PM »
What would you be looking for in a few weeks?
Presumably, how close it gets to 15 which is the point of reference for this test.

So, in 90 days it went down 77 and it halved ~1.5 times.
If it decreases linearly, that's 85% of 1 per day and in another ~18 days, you would be below 15. In that case, I would think you should take the vaccine soon, so the 14 days post vaccine pass before the immunity wears off.
If it halves, it would seem that it takes ~60 to halve, in which case you would have more time.
Or maybe it decreases in a whole different pattern, I don't know. Maybe @biobook can answer this specific question, without getting into if you should get it anyway because of Delta.

Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: August 11, 2021, 11:13:57 PM »
ouch how often do you poke yourself?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #4370 on: August 11, 2021, 11:35:57 PM »
Presumably, how close it gets to 15 which is the point of reference for this test.

So, in 90 days it went down 77 and it halved ~1.5 times.
If it decreases linearly, that's 85% of 1 per day and in another ~18 days, you would be below 15. In that case, I would think you should take the vaccine soon, so the 14 days post vaccine pass before the immunity wears off.
If it halves, it would seem that it takes ~60 to halve, in which case you would have more time.
Or maybe it decreases in a whole different pattern, I don't know. Maybe @biobook can answer this specific question, without getting into if you should get it anyway because of Delta.

My question is what do these numbers mean to anyone? 15 is the threshold for a positive test, but why and what does that mean in terms of immunity? What would make someone more likely to consider the shot at 27 than 37?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: August 11, 2021, 11:46:17 PM »
Sorry for being vague. Let me be more specific and explain my dilemma.

There are three reasons why I want to wait for my antibody level to drop before getting the vaccine. The main reason is because I've heard from many people that they had crazy side effects from taking the vaccine when they already had antibodies. That is my primary fear.

Two smaller reasons are 1- that I want to have immunity for an extended period of time, so if I push off the vaccine, it will last until a later date, and 2- I don't want to take the risks, no matter how small, if I don't need a vaccine yet.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: August 12, 2021, 12:46:55 AM »

Or maybe it decreases in a whole different pattern, I don't know. Maybe @biobook can answer this specific question, without getting into...
:) Reminds me of a kid who once said "Can you tell me what <this word> means without telling me anything else?
So the answer is no, I can't answer the question, and I don't think anyone could.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: August 12, 2021, 01:01:19 AM »
But if I'm allowed to say a little more, I'll just add that between any two points you can draw a straight line, so although it looks like the antibody level decreases linearly you would need more points to be certain of that.  The values given by the test aren't necessarily steady points, the actual antibody level may fluctuate over the course of the day or the week so I don't think you can be certain how the antibody levels will drop.

But besides that, it's possible that antibodies decrease a lot, and you still have immunity due to B cells' ability to replace the antibodies rapidly and due to T cells.  On the other hand, it's possible to have high antibody levels and still get reinfected because the Delta variant is different or stronger than the one that infected you the first time.

So measuring antibody levels may not help in answering your question, and you may just want to go with the numbers that were given elsewhere... What was it?  That immunity seems to last at least 7 months?  And wait that amount of time before getting the vaccine.  Also, you might want to consider when you think you're most likely to be in close contact with people who might be infectious, such as in shul RH, YK, and aim for getting it before that. 

Truth is, I don't know what advice I'd give myself if I were in that situation, so certainly am not in a position to advise others.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: August 12, 2021, 01:11:27 AM »

The main reason is because I've heard from many people that they had crazy side effects from taking the vaccine when they already had antibodies. That is my primary fear.
It wasn't necessarily the level of antibodies that was responsible for their side effects. 
Do you know how long after the first infection they took the vaccine? 
Do you know how their side effects compared with their initial symptoms from covid, and how that compared with your own symptoms?
Not that any of these are necessarily relevant, but it may give you something else to consider.  I don't remember reading anything about why some people get more severe side effects than others.
Two smaller reasons are 1- that I want to have immunity for an extended period of time, so if I push off the vaccine, it will last until a later date, and 2- I don't want to take the risks, no matter how small, if I don't need a vaccine yet.
Those comments are from April, maybe you could ask if they still hold that way 3 months later.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: August 12, 2021, 08:33:25 AM »
It wasn't necessarily the level of antibodies that was responsible for their side effects. 
Do you know how long after the first infection they took the vaccine? 
Do you know how their side effects compared with their initial symptoms from covid, and how that compared with your own symptoms?
Not that any of these are necessarily relevant, but it may give you something else to consider.  I don't remember reading anything about why some people get more severe side effects than others.
Thank you so much for the insight!

I did hear from a few people who had high levels of antibodies that they had terrible covid symptoms for a day or two after. Although that is anecdotal, what is consistent is that people got bigger reactions to the second dose, which makes sense according to this theory.

I am wondering if I should get the J&J vaccine. I haven't personally heard of such reactions to that one. Have any insight on that?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4376 on: August 12, 2021, 08:50:38 AM »
There are three reasons why I want to wait for my antibody level to drop before getting the vaccine. The main reason is because I've heard from many people that they had crazy side effects from taking the vaccine when they already had antibodies. That is my primary fear.
My antibody levels were high. I got achy and tired for a day each time I got the vaccine. Certainly nothing crazy. Same reports from my friends that had antibodies.

With delta getting out of control, I'd say you should get a Moderna shot ASAP. Upside far outweighs the risks.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dawie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: August 12, 2021, 10:43:05 AM »
My antibody levels were high. I got achy and tired for a day each time I got the vaccine. Certainly nothing crazy. Same reports from my friends that had antibodies.

With delta getting out of control, I'd say you should get a Moderna shot ASAP. Upside far outweighs the risks.
i have no (known) antibodies (even after getting Covid at least once, maybe twice), got the second moderna yesterday and i'm sitting home with a low grade fever and feel worse (very sluggish, achy and heavy) than when i actually had the virus

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: August 12, 2021, 10:44:31 AM »
i have no (known) antibodies (even after getting Covid at least once, maybe twice), got the second moderna yesterday and i'm sitting home with a low grade fever and feel worse (very sluggish, achy and heavy) than when i actually had the virus
You had positive covid PCR tests?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4379 on: August 12, 2021, 10:47:22 AM »
Normal for anyone that had COVID. Certainly nothing "crazy" and should be gone by tomorrow.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.