Author Topic: Lakewood covid cases  (Read 529957 times)

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #4760 on: January 13, 2022, 10:31:38 AM »
they are incompetent
results not being sent
i get the fact that they are understaffed and new, but...
Their staff must be too busy faking giving of vaccines.

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Lakewood covid cases
« Reply #4761 on: January 13, 2022, 10:32:12 AM »
Anecdotally, my doctor told me last night that things are (finally!) starting to calm down WRT Covid. Although he did say that despite the overall wave being much milder illness, he did have a couple of patients in the last couple of days that needed to be hospitalized r"l. I asked him why the overall hospitalization rates in NJ are at an all-time high, he said he wasn't really sure. (parenthetically, despite MCAB for the most part not being as effective against Omicron, he found it ironic that people were coming and practically begging to take them anyway just in case, while those same people absolutely refuse the vaccination on the grounds that it's too new and unproven.... :o ::))
Do you also find it ironic to take tamiflu but not the flu shot? When you're sick and trying to get better it's very reasonable to  take riskier meds vs. taking a vaccine which may only possibly help you avoid serious illness..

Offline 4yourinfo

• View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: January 13, 2022, 10:32:55 AM »
Their staff must be too busy faking giving of vaccines.
Nice they do that there - I've been looking

Offline iwlw2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: January 13, 2022, 10:33:08 AM »
Doesn't he read DDF?
The question was in the context of what he is seeing in Lakewood, where many people contracted it because of the higher transmission rate, but still relatively very few needed to be hospitalized (as compared to the first wave for example). The question is why is that different then what seems to be happening in the rest of NJ where many people are getting it, and seemingly many are being hospitalized, and I daresay the general vaccination rate in NJ is higher than Lakewood, so if anything there should be less severe illness out there.

Offline 4yourinfo

• View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: January 13, 2022, 10:36:33 AM »
The question was in the context of what he is seeing in Lakewood, where many people contracted it because of the higher transmission rate, but still relatively very few needed to be hospitalized (as compared to the first wave for example). The question is why is that different then what seems to be happening in the rest of NJ where many people are getting it, and seemingly many are being hospitalized, and I daresay the general vaccination rate in NJ is higher than Lakewood, so if anything there should be less severe illness out there.
Prior infection = better immune response?

Offline iwlw2

• View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: January 13, 2022, 10:38:25 AM »
Do you also find it ironic to take tamiflu but not the flu shot? When you're sick and trying to get better it's very reasonable to  take riskier meds vs. taking a vaccine which may only possibly help you avoid serious illness..
I think that's kind of a weak example for a few reasons. First of all, I think the flu shot in any given year has a much lower effective rate at preventing serious illness than the vaccine has proven to do, in some years it does not even match up well with the prevalent strain. Also, I don't think anyone says they don't take the flu shot because they think it's dangerously new and unproven, they just don't really think it will necessarily help anyway/can't be bothered to take it. It would certainly be very ironic if someone who was pontificating about how dangerous the flu shot is, would be racing to take Tamiflu which was equally potentially dangerous for the same reasons, right after coming down with a mild case of the flu, just in case.....

Offline iwlw2

• View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: January 13, 2022, 10:40:16 AM »
Prior infection = better immune response?
It's possible, and I'm sure he'd agree that is a possible answer, but believe it or not, there are also many people even in Lakewood, where everyone already had covid in the first wave (and the second and the third) who are getting covid now for the first time.....

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #4767 on: January 13, 2022, 10:41:43 AM »
Even among those who had covid in March 2020, the severity varied greatly.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: January 13, 2022, 11:27:48 AM »
Anecdotally, my doctor told me last night that things are (finally!) starting to calm down WRT Covid. Although he did say that despite the overall wave being much milder illness, he did have a couple of patients in the last couple of days that needed to be hospitalized r"l. I asked him why the overall hospitalization rates in NJ are at an all-time high, he said he wasn't really sure. (parenthetically, despite MCAB for the most part not being as effective against Omicron, he found it ironic that people were coming and practically begging to take them anyway just in case, while those same people absolutely refuse the vaccination on the grounds that it's too new and unproven.... :o ::))
Head of CDC says that most hospitalizations are from Delta (hospitalizations always lag behind), and we won't see a huge increase in hospitalizations in a few weeks even though (Omicron) cases are very high now.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: January 13, 2022, 11:28:09 AM »
It's hard to know what "many" means in the two cases, because the population numbers are so different - Jewish population of Lakewood - about 100,000.  Population of "the rest of NJ" - almost 9 million.  You need to look at the actual numbers if you want to conclude that the hospitalization rate is lower in Lakewood than elsewhere.  Not saying it's not,  just that one doctor's gut sense isn't strong evidence.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: January 13, 2022, 11:30:38 AM »
A very large percentage of hospitalizations are with COVID, not from COVID. I'm sure there is a decent number of hospitalizations with COVID in Monmouth hospital right now.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline iwlw2

• View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: January 13, 2022, 11:38:18 AM »
It's hard to know what "many" means in the two cases, because the population numbers are so different - Jewish population of Lakewood - about 100,000.  Population of "the rest of NJ" - almost 9 million.  You need to look at the actual numbers if you want to conclude that the hospitalization rate is lower in Lakewood than elsewhere.  Not saying it's not,  just that one doctor's gut sense isn't strong evidence.
Hence the caveat at the beginning, anecdotal x data. With that disclaimer though, I have heard from Hatzala people as well that they are doing far less transports than in the first wave. And yet the overall hospitalizations in NJ were not as high then supposedly....

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: January 13, 2022, 11:57:11 AM »
Even among those who had covid in March 2020, the severity varied greatly.

But in aggregate you could still glean insights into overall severity.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: January 13, 2022, 11:58:37 AM »
But in aggregate you could still glean insights into overall severity.
Right. But you can't say that X person got it more sever now specifically because they never had it before.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4774 on: January 13, 2022, 12:14:21 PM »
Right. But you can't say that X person got it more sever now specifically because they never had it before.

You can glean some insight into that if you have sufficient data to eliminate Omicron with prior infection history in order to compare Omicron without prior infection to Alpha

Offline etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: January 13, 2022, 12:15:40 PM »
You can glean some insight into that if you have sufficient data to eliminate Omicron with prior infection history in order to compare Omicron without prior infection to Alpha
But not on a case by case basis, only in aggregate.

I've been wondering, those who had covid in march 2020, was that alpha or was that pre-alpha? (Is Alpha the first version or the first variant?)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: January 13, 2022, 12:26:35 PM »
But not on a case by case basis, only in aggregate.

I've been wondering, those who had covid in march 2020, was that alpha or was that pre-alpha? (Is Alpha the first version or the first variant?)

Alpha was late 2020, this was technically pre-Greek variants like D614G/G614

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: January 13, 2022, 01:19:03 PM »
Did the COVID cases in town plummet the last few days? Seems like things have quieted down

Numbers for the past few weeks, for what its worth:
(OCHD does not report on the weekend so Monday's number includes all weekend positives.)

W- 199
T - 229
M - 700

F- 327
T- 276
W-277
T-303
M-651

F-
T-136
W-108
T-71
M-243

F-
T-53
W-37
T-27
M-50

Online S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #4778 on: January 13, 2022, 02:24:40 PM »
A very large percentage of hospitalizations are with COVID, not from COVID. I'm sure there is a decent number of hospitalizations with COVID in Monmouth hospital right now.
That wouldn’t quite explain why an immediate relative of mine was kept in a hallway in the ER for a day and a half two weeks ago with cellulitis because there were no (half) rooms available, and the rest of the hospitals in the region couldn’t take him because they were on divert.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: January 13, 2022, 03:13:22 PM »
Numbers for the past few weeks, for what its worth:
(OCHD does not report on the weekend so Monday's number includes all weekend positives.)

W- 199
T - 229
M - 700

F- 327
T- 276
W-277
T-303
M-651

F-
T-136
W-108
T-71