Poll

When Will This Board Be Closed?

As soon as a vaccine is found
By November 3rd 2020 (Elections)
Never, it will remain a conversation piece for years to come
Other

Author Topic: Poll: When Will This Board (Finally) Be Closed?  (Read 7608 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Poll: When Will This Board (Finally) Be Closed?
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 08:47:07 AM »
Business travel. If it's not pleasure it's a real inconvenience.

Why should I fly to China to meet someone if everything we discuss can be said over zoom? Why fly six times a year if I could just do two?

Why should my company have to spend so much on flights if we can arrange a virtual meeting?
Because you can't build trust over Zoom. And they've been saying this for decades.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 09:01:54 AM »
Gam Zeh Yaavor. Nothing good or bad lasts forever.
Sometimes something can be so catastrophic that it turns the Roman Republic into the Dark Ages (even though it may take a while). Remember the food shortages, talk of the possible collapse of the electric grid?  Add riots to the equation, and it was very easy to imagine a collapse of the US.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 10:13:50 AM »
Because you can't build trust over Zoom. And they've been saying this for decades.
+1,000,000
I don't see much day to day benefit from video calling. Unless you are meeting someone new or few other cases the video is just distracting and doesnt add much to the conversation.
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »
I'd wager that you're wrong. There will be an effective vaccine, it's only a question of how long it will take for it to be rolled out and for this to be over.
Perhaps it will need a booster, but that doesn't mean things won't go back to the old normal, more or less.

So you think just because there will be an effective vaccine at some point the world will return to its old ways?

While people have short memories, there are still certain areas where we have gone beyond the point of no return.

ROTFLMAO....

There's only one way out of this kind of a debt hole. It's been tried and tested for thousands of years. Hint (Though R&R don't seem to say thousands, only hundreds).

I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chinagel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 12:23:48 PM »
Similar to not being able to buy suits and shoes without trying them on?

Offline El Capitan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Haha I wish!
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 12:32:31 PM »
To all those saying a vaccine will end covid discussion. What makes you think both political parties will accept the vaccine?
Still looking for a good MS method :)

Mtrasb

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 12:37:55 PM »
To all those saying a vaccine will end covid discussion. What makes you think both political parties will accept the vaccine?
Why?

Do they each have to put in their own specific strain of autism?

Mtrasb

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 12:42:57 PM »
Zoom will never totally replace traveling for a face to face meeting. But there is a middle ground here and unlike before COVID, I think the necessity of each jaunt to China will be reassessed.

Offline El Capitan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Haha I wish!
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 12:46:17 PM »
Why?

Do they each have to put in their own specific strain of autism?
Because no one can agree on anything these days...
Still looking for a good MS method :)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2020, 12:56:02 PM »
So you think just because there will be an effective vaccine at some point the world will return to its old ways?

While people have short memories, there are still certain areas where we have gone beyond the point of no return.
What specifically?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2020, 01:19:09 PM »
I agree with you on this. 3 months ago I really thought life would never be the same. As time moved on and we see that all people want is life to be back to normal. So I really do think that once there's an effective vaccine life will go back to normal more or less. Maybe more hand washing and things like that. But I don't think it'll be like 9/11 that changed flying forever. 3 months ago I really did think that would be the case. Now I think life will be back to normal.
One of the greatest fallibilities of the human brain is thinking that things will always be as they are now. It's why people commit suicide and get depressed.

Certainly not limited to you, but 3 months ago you saw something and assumed it would stay that way forever. Now you see something else and change your assumption.

Things have a way of swinging back to how they were over time. Just ask a dieter what happens over time after they lose weight.

I haven't seen anything compelling to tell me things will be massively different in the future from what they were in the past because of COVID19.

1918 Spanish flu was far more deadly than COVID19 so far. What did that change long term other than all of the casualties? It was mostly an afterthought until now.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »
What specifically?

Did you click on the post I quoted to see what I was talking about?

ZIRP, soon to be NIRP and total yield curve manipulation. Major social and economic policy shifts. If indeed there will be a blue sweep as many are predicting, what kind of consequences do you think we will see? Don't you think that if that happens COVID-19 would have a lot to do with it as a contributing factor?
-- Dan

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2020, 01:54:54 PM »
I haven't seen anything compelling to tell me things will be massively different in the future from what they were in the past because of COVID19.

1918 Spanish flu was far more deadly than COVID19 so far. What did that change long term other than all of the casualties? It was mostly an afterthought until now.

I agree in theory that things are mostly going to bounce right back, but there are a few things to watch

1) Reversal of the urbanization trend? Manhattan is straight out collapsing. Buildings are reporting 30% occupancy. Between increasing taxes (Trum revoking the local tax deduction & Cuomo raising the possibility of taxing NY stock trades), ever-increasing improvements in virtual communication technologies, and liberal policies promoting anarchy & crime (the city is housing homeless people in hotels in prime neighborhoods), city life is becoming less and less palatable.

2) Permanent changes in Corporate travel habits? I think leisure travel will make up for any slack in corporate travel policies, but this is something to watch.

3) Global macro economics. Gold is up 30% for the year and at an all time record. While Trump has been remarkably cautious, there will no alternative but printing a large amount of USD. The government makes the burden of complying with US banking laws & sanctions more and more onerous. Will we see the USD lose it's position as the global reserve currency? Goldman Sachs is warning about this possibility. Its effects would be more geopolitical than economical, as the US being a net exporter stands to benefit from a lower USD value.

4) Any large seismic shifts will have a large impact on many lives as industries fail and others emerge in their place.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2020, 02:01:35 PM »
I agree in theory that things are mostly going to bounce right back, but there are a few things to watch

1) Reversal of the urbanization trend? Manhattan is straight out collapsing. Buildings are reporting 30% occupancy. Between increasing taxes (Trum revoking the local tax deduction & Cuomo raising the possibility of taxing NY stock trades), ever-increasing improvements in virtual communication technologies, and liberal policies promoting anarchy & crime (the city is housing homeless people in hotels in prime neighborhoods), city life is becoming less and less palatable.

2) Permanent changes in Corporate travel habits? I think leisure travel will make up for any slack in corporate travel policies, but this is something to watch.

3) Global macro economics. Gold is up 30% for the year and at an all time record. While Trump has been remarkably cautious, there will no alternative but printing a large amount of USD. The government makes the burden of complying with US banking laws & sanctions more and more onerous. Will we see the USD lose it's position as the global reserve currency? Goldman Sachs is warning about this possibility. Its effects would be more geopolitical than economical, as the US being a net exporter stands to benefit from a lower USD value.

4) Any large seismic shifts will have a large impact on many lives as industries fail and others emerge in their place.
1. I believe this trend started before COVID-19 with falling rents and urban exodus. This isn't a change so much as acceleration of the trend.
2. Short-term, definitely. But I think it will recover and then some within a few years, so I don't see this as a lasting change.
3. Gold always goes up in times of economic uncertainty. Not sure I'd make a long-term bet on systemic change there.
4. The industries that are failing, like retail, were failing before COVID-19. This is also an acceleration, not a change.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2020, 02:06:35 PM »
1. I believe this trend started before COVID-19 with falling rents and urban exodus. This isn't a change so much as acceleration of the trend.
2. Short-term, definitely. But I think it will recover and then some within a few years, so I don't see this as a lasting change.
3. Gold always goes up in times of economic uncertainty. Not sure I'd make a long-term bet on systemic change there.
4. The industries that are failing, like retail, were failing before COVID-19. This is also an acceleration, not a change.
Fair enough
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 02:46:01 PM »
This board will be closed when COVID isn't an all-encompassing topic in our lives. When that happens and what exactly that means remains to be seen.

Once it (IH"Y!) becomes a background issue it can be discussed further in the appropriate topic boards.

IMO.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 02:47:39 PM »
Maybe we can time it for next Tisha Bav. Considering how many members are gonna be losing 95% of their post counts 😈
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2020, 02:54:50 PM »
Maybe we can time it for next Tisha Bav. Considering how many members are gonna be losing 95% of their post counts 😈

A whole nother year of this? No thanks.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2020, 03:05:38 PM »

And instantly raising like/post ratios to compensate....
-- Dan

Mtrasb

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2020, 03:20:30 PM »

Most threads in this board would belong in General Discussion.