Author Topic: Alternative Sports Around the World  (Read 832 times)

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Alternative Sports Around the World
« on: July 29, 2020, 11:23:14 AM »
This thread is inspired by The Amazing Race (TV show), where I saw an activity called sledging in new Zealand. It's essentially a going down white water rapids with with a little board and flippers. It's also called riverboarding and hydrospeeding.

In Croatia, I did canyoning (also called canyoneering), where you go through a river canyon in whatever way needed - hiking, swimming, cliff jumping, and rappelling.

Researching riverboarding, I stumbled upon bellyaking, which is basically lying down in a smallish kayak and using hand flippers.

Anyone do any interesting sports around the world, specifically water ones? Looking specifically for ones that people would likely never have heard of
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative Sports Around the World
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:00:39 PM »
Not sure if this is exotic enough, but I've done water zorbing in Prague, where you are put into a human sized "beach ball", they blow it up with air, then roll it onto the water and you have the opportunity to try to "walk on water".
(It's harder than you imagine)

Offline JuryDuty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:01:30 PM »
Not sure if this is exotic enough, but I've done water zorbing in Prague, where you are put into a human sized "beach ball", they blow it up with air, then roll it onto the water and you have the opportunity to try to "walk on water".
(It's harder than you imagine)

That's pretty funny, zorbing was in the same episode in The Amazing Race as sledging
Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 12:12:53 PM »
That actually is quite funny because I am not familiar with
The Amazing Race