Author Topic: Realistic vaccine date- end of 2021?  (Read 83165 times)

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic vaccine date- end of 2021?
« Reply #840 on: April 18, 2021, 05:14:29 PM »
It's still only April. If Canada isn't fully vaccinated by late summer/early fall, there needs to be a national reckoning
It’s certainly possible but Canada sure has a dismal track record. Right now just 2% of their population is fully vaccinated. People getting first shots in Ontario this week were being scheduled for their second shots in August.
 https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/vaccination-coverage/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 05:17:30 PM by yzj »

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 22, 2021, 11:15:11 PM »
There are endless mRNA vaccine appointments available in NYC since the past week or two, even with J&J on pause. We’ve reached the tipping point despite less than half of Americans getting vaccinated. I find this to be very worrisome.

Yes, many of the most vulnerable have been vaccinated, but we still have a long way to go to put this pandemic behind us domestically, let alone globally.

I’m afraid many thousands of doses are going to waste daily, and that isn’t being sufficiently covered.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 22, 2021, 11:34:21 PM »
There are endless mRNA vaccine appointments available in NYC since the past week or two, even with J&J on pause. We’ve reached the tipping point despite less than half of Americans getting vaccinated. I find this to be very worrisome.

Yes, many of the most vulnerable have been vaccinated, but we still have a long way to go to put this pandemic behind us domestically, let alone globally.

I’m afraid many thousands of doses are going to waste daily, and that isn’t being sufficiently covered.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/21/vaccinations-downturn-jj-pause-soft-demand/

11% decrease in demand.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #843 on: April 22, 2021, 11:57:28 PM »

Aside from the regular FUD and anti-vax sentiment, I think the J&J pause plays a big part in the drop in demand. I also think that news of Pfizer and Moderna working on a second version may be influencing some people to wait for 2.0. There are probably a few other factors, like political and social distractions diminishing the urgency in some people's minds. Momentum will probably pick up again. I don't know what the catalyst will be.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 23, 2021, 01:11:37 AM »
Remember, older people who were eligible earlier usually have an easier time finding time to get the vaccine. Younger people who work, might still be interested, but have less opportunity to get it, so it will take time. (Also people in certain places of employment like schools were given a day off to get their shot) I wonder if there are less appointments available on weekends...

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 23, 2021, 08:00:11 AM »
Aside from the regular FUD and anti-vax sentiment, I think the J&J pause plays a big part in the drop in demand. I also think that news of Pfizer and Moderna working on a second version may be influencing some people to wait for 2.0. There are probably a few other factors, like political and social distractions diminishing the urgency in some people's minds. Momentum will probably pick up again. I don't know what the catalyst will be.

All good points, but what happens in the interim as many thousands of mRNA vaccine doses sit around unused.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 23, 2021, 08:07:20 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/21/vaccinations-downturn-jj-pause-soft-demand/

11% decrease in demand.

Stupid vaccine confidence poll that included already-vaccinated people in the survey.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #847 on: April 23, 2021, 08:10:45 AM »
All good points, but what happens in the interim as many thousands of mRNA vaccine doses sit around unused.

The same thing that happens to bread on a grocery store shelf: it either gets used, or it expires and gets tossed. And then we make some more, rinse and repeat as needed.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 23, 2021, 08:17:09 AM »
The same thing that happens to bread on a grocery store shelf: it either gets used, or it expires and gets tossed. And then we make some more, rinse and repeat as needed.

There’s gotta be a way to optimize this better so we can do with less waste and share with those who are desperately in need of what we have. That’s true for both bread and vaccines.

Waste is a product of cheit eitz hadaas, and when Moshiach comes there will be optimal resource management so that nothing goes to waste and no one hungers. We are already seeing the beginnings of natural pathways toward that goal.

/rant

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 23, 2021, 08:23:35 AM »
There’s gotta be a way to optimize this better so we can do with less waste and share with those who are desperately in need of what we have. That’s true for both bread and vaccines.

Waste is a product of cheit eitz hadaas, and when Moshiach comes there will be optimal resource management so that nothing goes to waste and no one hungers. We are already seeing the beginnings of natural pathways toward that goal.

/rant

+100. We live in a society with an insane amounts of waste. IMO, vaccines won't get special treatment.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: April 23, 2021, 09:15:24 AM »
Aside from the regular FUD and anti-vax sentiment, I think the J&J pause plays a big part in the drop in demand.
https://twitter.com/yougovamerica/status/1382692409495199748
https://twitter.com/benwakana46/status/1382436908689657867

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 23, 2021, 09:21:02 AM »
+100. We live in a society with an insane amounts of waste. IMO, vaccines won't get special treatment.
For America, it’s better to waste vaccines than to waste time and money optimizing delivery, and even more importantly, the most important factor by far is to reach maximum population by making it as readily available as possible.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 23, 2021, 04:54:17 PM »
[tweet]1385697948592451585[/tweet]

BREAKING: CDC panel votes to resume using Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine in the U.S.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 23, 2021, 07:12:36 PM »
For America, it’s better to waste vaccines than to waste time and money optimizing delivery, and even more importantly, the most important factor by far is to reach maximum population by making it as readily available as possible.

True, but what degree of waste is tolerable when other countries, even affluent western ones, don’t have adequate vaccine supply.

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 24, 2021, 11:51:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/yougovamerica/status/1382692409495199748

I think it would be more accurate to say that it dropped confidence by 28%
It was +26 and now it's -2

https://twitter.com/benwakana46/status/1382436908689657867

I can't see the image he posted. Is it a different poll?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #855 on: April 25, 2021, 12:01:57 AM »

I can't see the image he posted. Is it a different poll?
First is Johnson and Johnson specific (safe -15, unsafe +13)
Second is *all* COVID vaccines (More confident they’re safe 58%, less confident 23%)
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 25, 2021, 12:02:44 AM »
Is a team with a record of 25-15 10 games over .500 or 5 games over .500?

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 03, 2021, 04:17:59 PM »
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/07/29/johns-hopkins-press-conference-coronavirus-pandemic-latest/

Can any places other than China keep up social distancing protocols for another 15 months? Or are we going to continue to see increasing flare-up and waves as countries throw in the towel?

Bunch of boich svaros.
There has never been this much money thrown at making and distributing a vaccine before.

Widely available = enough to remove all commerce and lifestyle restrictions nationwide (or in other words, having the entire country act as if they live in WB, BP, CH or KJ).

I’d put money down that that won’t happen before summer 2021 at the very earliest.

This has actually aged pretty well...

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 03, 2021, 04:22:35 PM »
This has actually aged pretty well...
Welcome back :)

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: December 26, 2021, 02:04:42 PM »
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/07/29/johns-hopkins-press-conference-coronavirus-pandemic-latest/

Can any places other than China keep up social distancing protocols for another 15 months? Or are we going to continue to see increasing flare-up and waves as countries throw in the towel?

Well, it’s now the end of 2021 and....