Author Topic: Google Sheets help  (Read 15664 times)

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Google Sheets help
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2023, 09:44:47 PM »
I have a spreadsheet that runs a function on opening. It takes a few seconds to run. How can I prevent users from editing anything until it finishes running?
I tried making an alert first thing when it opens saying "please wait" but it seems to break execution of the code and it takes basically the same amount of time to run the function as it is to display the wait message.

It's a multi sheet spreadsheet so I don't know which sheet will open when a user opens it. As of now I just have a big cell with big letters saying "please wait" on one of the pages with an alert when the function finishes running.

My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Online Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2023, 10:28:34 PM »
I have a spreadsheet that runs a function on opening. It takes a few seconds to run. How can I prevent users from editing anything until it finishes running?
I tried making an alert first thing when it opens saying "please wait" but it seems to break execution of the code and it takes basically the same amount of time to run the function as it is to display the wait message.

It's a multi sheet spreadsheet so I don't know which sheet will open when a user opens it. As of now I just have a big cell with big letters saying "please wait" on one of the pages with an alert when the function finishes running.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41103337/prevent-editing-of-cells-while-script-is-running
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2023, 01:29:01 PM »
Hopefully the attachment is clear. Conditional formatting is always a pain for me.
I'm trying to compare two tables (or ranges I'm not sure the correct term). If the left one is equal or higher than the right one then it should turn red. And if it's lower than it should turn green.

So b4 vs L4, b5 vs L5, c4 vs m4...

I can't get it to work.

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2023, 05:59:23 PM »
Hopefully the attachment is clear. Conditional formatting is always a pain for me.
I'm trying to compare two tables (or ranges I'm not sure the correct term). If the left one is equal or higher than the right one then it should turn red. And if it's lower than it should turn green.

So b4 vs L4, b5 vs L5, c4 vs m4...

I can't get it to work.
You mean something like this?

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2023, 06:59:35 PM »
You mean something like this?

Yes. I didn't want to have separate rules for each column. But I realized from your response that I was missing the equals sign in my rule...

Thanks