Author Topic: Whoop Strap - anyone wearing?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Whoop Strap - anyone wearing?
« on: July 31, 2020, 02:08:30 PM »
Was thinking about getting a Whoop Strap -https://www.whoop.com (Here is an honest review - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/whoop-3-platform-review.html - albeit mixed).

Of course the two key questions are:
- Can it be worn on shabbos?
- Will it be as effective if I only wear it 24/6?

While I know that most poskim don't allow people to wear smart watches on shabbos (I say most, because I really don't know of any). This isn't quite the same - it has no display. It has sensors that measure your heart rate, breathing, etc. It also has no buttons.

Obviously, the full purpose of this is to capture your vitals so the idea that would imply that the HR sensor is a psik reisha d'nicha lei - because the only reason you wear it is to capture the data.

On the flip side, it's tracking your health so that you can improve, but short of a few studies where it's being used to track heart issues or for alzheimers research, most people that are using it, are not in a pikuach nefesh situation.

I'm curious if anyone here that's shomer shabbos is using it and/or what they've found out about it's use on shabbos.

(Obviously, if I do decide to buy one, I'd consult my LOR, but figured I'd ask for other people's experiences with it).

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Whoop Strap - anyone wearing?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »
I'm not wearing it but I've been very tempted to get it. Just not ready to bite that signicant cost on top of what I already pay for fitness, especially because many reviews say it's best at getting you to sleep more and that isn't happening here (although I know it should).

I would not wear on Shabbos but I'm curious what you'll hear!
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 07:08:17 PM »
Just giving this a bump - they're running a special for the Masters - use code GOLF30 at checkout, and your first month is free.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 07:19:51 PM »
Whoop strap meant something very different when I was a kid...
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.