Author Topic: Open letter to the Frum community  (Read 14920 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Open letter to the Frum community
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2020, 07:28:06 PM »
The point was putting the country first. At least that was the point you responded to that started this.  :)
I don't agree Nov should be only about policies.

So you're of the opinion that figureheads are important, sometimes even more so than policies. Most here are more concerned about the bills that get signed, and not by who signs them. Without putting a right or wrong to the difference of opinions, would you say that's a fair assessment?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2020, 07:28:24 PM »
Independent??
I’m assuming you mean she only cares about herself and no one else 🤷🏻‍♂️
GIYF as you don't seem to understand what that term means. Try getting out more.  ;)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2020, 07:30:54 PM »
A strong, black, independent women. You have any hair left?  :P

1. Why is she more Black than Indian?
2. She's possibly the most "establishment" of the people thought to be in the running for this position. What would you say qualifies her as "independent?"

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2020, 07:31:44 PM »
So you're of the opinion that figureheads are important, sometimes even more so than policies. Most here are more concerned about the bills that get signed, and not by who signs them. Without putting a right or wrong to the difference of opinions, would you say that's a fair assessment?
I would say that is what they claim. Some of the same individuals ripped on HRC flawed character. So when they say it was about policies I chuckle.

The character of the person is important. I have very little confidence a self-centered ego maniac will put the country first.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:36:46 PM by CountValentine »

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2020, 07:36:25 PM »
2. She's possibly the most "establishment" of the people thought to be in the running for this position. What would you say qualifies her as "independent?"
"The essence of a strong Black woman is to be independent."

That does not mean independent as in not a D or R. She can be a D or R and still be a strong black independent woman.
I am sure this is a concept most here will be unable to grasp.  ;)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2020, 07:42:16 PM »
I would say that is what they claim. Some of the same individuals ripped on HRC flawed character. So when they say it was about policies I chuckle.

The character of the person is important. I have very little confidence a self-centered ego maniac will put the country first.

Regardless of certain individuals here, to the point of the discussion regarding the letter, the other letter, and the counter-letter, a large segment of the Orthodox Jewish communities in the US believe in policies over people.

To your point about his ability to put country over self, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a president who would sully his legacy in exchange for real tangible benefits to the country that he couldn't take credit for. Most politicians put self over country every day, it's just a matter of how far each one will go. And for that, we have a system of checks and balances.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2020, 07:46:02 PM »
Regardless of certain individuals here, to the point of the discussion regarding the letter, the other letter, and the counter-letter, a large segment of the Orthodox Jewish communities in the US believe in policies over people.
I have no issue with that.
You could have made that point without quoting me as I was asking something different.
Now we can go another 10 pages but nothing will change.  :)

Offline Jellybelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2020, 08:07:15 PM »

Just to answer your comparison to HRC, I’m sure it’s been posted here in ddf, when telling people to vote for Trump in 2016, one of the rosh yeshivas in Lakewood said that corruption in governmental affairs is much worse than someone with personal flaws.

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2020, 08:17:39 PM »
Just to answer your comparison to HRC, I’m sure it’s been posted here in ddf, when telling people to vote for Trump in 2016, one of the rosh yeshivas in Lakewood said that corruption in governmental affairs is much worse than someone with personal flaws.
I'll bring back my plumber example; if you have a plumber who is a total scumbag in his personal life, but does a good job in plumbing, you hire him to get the job done. Whereas, if you have a plumber who was caught trying to put a brittle old rubber gasket on your drain, you never hire him again.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2020, 09:18:34 PM »
I'll bring back my plumber example; if you have a plumber who is a total scumbag in his personal life, but does a good job in plumbing, you hire him to get the job done. Whereas, if you have a plumber who was caught trying to put a brittle old rubber gasket on your drain, you never hire him again.
What are the chances that the plumber who is immoral in his personal life will also be dishonest in his business dealings with you?

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2020, 09:19:56 PM »

That does not mean independent as in not a D or R. She can be a D or R and still be a strong black independent woman.

Do you have any data points to show that she's strong or independent?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2020, 10:08:29 PM »

I am sure this is a concept most here will be unable to grasp.  ;)

With all due respect, you do a great disservice with your stereotyping, both to those included in your generalization, and to those excluded by it. This is the exact behavior you call out other members here for perpetuating, albeit with a different spin of the same bottle. In fact, the saying you quoted from Caroline Bird, a white woman, has been panned for the unfair expectation it puts on Black women to be superhuman and the trouble that comes from failure to meet those expectations.

You also conveniently skipped my first question, and doubled down on her ethnicity. She is no more a Black woman than an Indian one. All in all, her race does not define her. She is a sum of her actions to date, and by relegating her to no more than the color of her skin and her parents' place of birth, you do the job of the KKK for them.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2020, 10:10:29 PM »
Do you have any data points to show that she's strong or independent?

Her history as a prosecutor is well established. Her track record since then seems to contradict her previous record. I'd say she has the ability to be strong and independent, but given her most recent work, I'm not expecting much.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2020, 10:22:22 PM »
With all due respect, you do a great disservice with your stereotyping, both to those included in your generalization, and to those excluded by it. This is the exact behavior you call out other members here for perpetuating, albeit with a different spin of the same bottle. In fact, the saying you quoted from Caroline Bird, a white woman, has been panned for the unfair expectation it puts on Black women to be superhuman and the trouble that comes from failure to meet those expectations.

You also conveniently skipped my first question, and doubled down on her ethnicity. She is no more a Black woman than an Indian one. All in all, her race does not define her. She is a sum of her actions to date, and by relegating her to no more than the color of her skin and her parents' place of birth, you do the job of the KKK for them.
There is so many planes flying over your head I don't know where to start.

For the record she considers herself African American. If you have an issue with that then take it up with her, not me.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2020, 10:23:14 PM »
Will you leave him in the house unattended?  :)

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2020, 10:33:24 PM »
1. Why is she more Black than Indian?
She identifies as a black women. I would love to see someone go after her for not being black enough. This strong independent BLACK women will chew them up and spit them out.

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 12, 2020, 10:38:49 PM »
She identifies as a black women. I would love to see someone go after her for not being black enough. This strong independent BLACK women will chew them up and spit them out.
Yea,  I think it’s gonna get pretty nasty btwn her and Trump. That’s prob why Biden picked her, because he has no chance against trump. I’m dreading it, I thinking to just turn off all news and media till after elections.

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 12, 2020, 10:50:44 PM »
Yea,  I think it’s gonna get pretty nasty btwn her and Trump. That’s prob why Biden picked her, because he has no chance against trump. I’m dreading it, I thinking to just turn off all news and media till after elections.
Biden is smart knowing Trump will attack her. Let's see how that plays with the women. She is not going to back down.

Offline Jellybelly

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 12, 2020, 11:08:10 PM »
Biden is smart knowing Trump will attack her. Let's see how that plays with the women. She is not going to back down.
And the media will be on her side, no matter what
🙄

Online CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2020, 11:12:28 PM »
And the media will be on her side, no matter what
🙄
FOX won't and they have the highest ratings.