Author Topic: Diners Club=Free Primary CDW  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Diners Club=Free Primary CDW
« on: June 07, 2008, 11:56:32 PM »
Any other diners club cardholders out there?

It's got quite a good amount of features, but the best is the free primary cdw, which I haven't seen on any other card.

It also has a decent mileage transfer reward program, and it gets you into a decent amount of international lounges (domestically it only gets you into EWR and MIA lounges)

Annual fee is $95, but is waived if you have a CitiGold checking account...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
Re: Diners Club=Free Primary CDW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 01:46:45 AM »
Every platinum card as far as I know has free CDW (Collision Damage Waiver). What they don't include is ALI (Additional Liability Insurance) and that is what costs about $12.95 a day.
-Eli

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:52:12 AM »
Every platinum card as far as I know has free CDW (Collision Damage Waiver). What they don't include is ALI (Additional Liability Insurance) and that is what costs about $12.95 a day.
The CDW that comes with many credit cards is secondary to your own insurance.  That means that if you damage the rental car the credit card company will first go to all of your own insurance policies and try to get them to pay up before they will pay.

Primary insurance means that the credit card will pay without ever contacting your insurance companies.

AMEX does offer the ability to make CDW primary for about $20 per rental, but only Diners Club offers it for free.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 01:56:09 AM »
Sorry my mistake. I didn't realize that because throughout all the years that I rented cars I never had my own insurance so the credit card was primary. Now that I have my own insurance if I rent a car I wouldn't even think of the credit card insurance.
-Eli

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 02:27:32 AM »
Any other diners club cardholders out there?

It's got quite a good amount of features, but the best is the free primary cdw, which I haven't seen on any other card.

It also has a decent mileage transfer reward program, and it gets you into a decent amount of international lounges (domestically it only gets you into EWR and MIA lounges)

Annual fee is $95, but is waived if you have a CitiGold checking account...
do you by any chance know if it works in israel as well, like the world mastercard?

Offline avrlev

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 07:23:19 PM »
how can i get a diners club per personal card (if i can't get a personal one at least a buss.) I'm trying already for some time, and no success

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »
how can i get a diners club per personal card (if i can't get a personal one at least a buss.) I'm trying already for some time, and no success
You can't.  Citi sold it to BMO and it's in a transition phase.
Anyway why do you want one?
The CO MC now has free primary CDW and has more benefits for less money.

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 02:39:50 PM »
The CDW that comes with many credit cards is secondary to your own insurance.  That means that if you damage the rental car the credit card company will first go to all of your own insurance policies and try to get them to pay up before they will pay.

Primary insurance means that the credit card will pay without ever contacting your insurance companies.

AMEX does offer the ability to make CDW primary for about $20 per rental, but only Diners Club offers it for free.
What difference is it, if they go first to your car insurance, or if the credit card insurance is primary? Is it so that your car insurance prices shouldn't go up due to a claim?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 02:54:57 PM »
What difference is it, if they go first to your car insurance, or if the credit card insurance is primary? Is it so that your car insurance prices shouldn't go up due to a claim?
Obviously.

Offline MLM

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 10:47:04 PM »
I have had diners specifically for the Primary Insurance. I loved the lounge in zurich. The one time i made a claim they were a breeze to deal with. I love the fact that I can put points to many different accounts other than mine it helps me top off missing points in my aa accounts specifically. I am overall happy with it. I also usually dont pay the annual fee.

Offline MLM

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 10:48:32 PM »

Does this cover in Israel? Also has anyone made a claim yet, are they easy to deal with?

Offline avrlev

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 04:52:25 PM »
chase closed out of the blue all my credit card with them (for no good reason never late, and paid in full every month, excellent credit) due to the fact that I have too much open credit card on my name, I called a few times spoke to a supervisor and refused to reopen any of them (I had a heck of a lot of credit on my chase cards)