Topic Wiki

Existing board-game threads:

Settlers of Catan

DO: Online Catan (Settlers)

What board games do you play?

good board game ideas for Pesach
^Don't necessarily rely on some of what was said there

Family Party Games

(Bavli (board game) - If you were curious)

DansDeals Amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/dp/[productcode]/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Author Topic: Board Games master thread  (Read 16270 times)

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
Re: Board Games master thread
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2023, 08:38:32 AM »
Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion is currently $25 at Target and Amazon.
It's a great price, but do your research first (watching this might be a good
start {I haven't seen it myself, but I've seen a few other videos by him}).
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2023, 08:01:07 PM »
Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2023, 10:35:25 AM »
75%-off sale going on here:
https://legacytoys.com/collections/daily-deals

Also, this is on again:
Target is currently having a buy-2-get-1-free promotion on various games and toys.
[...]

If you order 3 copies of something and then cancel 2 of them, you will receive that item at a 33% discount.
According to someone on the Internet, Target have stated that they are okay with this.
(The tax shown will be for all 3 items, but you will not actually be charged that.)

[...]

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2023, 01:40:28 PM »
Lakewood:
Toys for Thought has a copy of the mini version of the old edition of Jaipur on their sale table for $7.50.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2023, 04:29:55 PM »
Target and Amazon are both currently offering Horizons of Spirit Island for $15 (50% off).
Spirit Island is a complex cooperative game in which you play nature spirits trying to push colonists off an island;
Horizons is a lower-budget version with the same rules but fewer spirits*, tokens instead of certain pieces, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBSHZFLB
https://www.target.com/p/horizons-of-spirit-island-game/-/A-85008800

(*The spirits in Horizons are not in SI.)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2023, 03:09:50 PM »
Project L is on sale at Miniature Market for $22 (must create an account and log in):
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/asmprl01.html
It's a game of filling patterns with plastic Tetris-style pieces to earn more pieces, increase the size of your pieces, and get points.

Juicy Fruits is currently 50% off on Amazon ($14.99):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SBSY9Z3/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
It's a family-weight game of moving pieces around your board in a bit of a sliding-puzzle fashion to collect resources, with options to fulfill orders to free up more space and to buy useful/valuable tiles that will then take up space.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 03:23:02 PM by Randomex »

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2023, 11:10:01 AM »
Doesn’t really belong here but I didn’t know where to post it:

DW recently bought Sushi Go and we really enjoyed playing it with our kids. Easy to setup/learn (though perhaps harder to efficiently strategize) and quick to play makes this 2-5 player card game a real winner. It’s advised to be 8+ but my younger kids caught on right away, albeit not necessarily picking up on every nuance.

Was on DDMS in October at $5.91 and is currently selling on Amazon for ~$6.30

Now available in Five Below stores for $3.25 (packaged in a cardboard tuckbox rather than a tin).
You can check local availability here: https://www.fivebelow.com/products/sushi-go-card-game
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 11:14:03 AM by Randomex »

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2023, 11:26:01 AM »
The Star Wars Deck-Building Game is currently $15.19 at Amazon and Target:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLT6F5VY/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
https://www.target.com/p/fantasy-flight-games-star-wars-deckbuilding-board-game--no-aasa/-/A-87885670

It's a 2-player game that should take about 30-40 minutes. You can try the free
Star Realms demo (mobile/Steam) to see if you might enjoy the deck-building genre.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2023, 04:36:54 PM »
Camel Up is currently $15.99 at Target - https://www.target.com/p/camel-up-board-game/-/A-85822867

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 23, 2023, 01:16:23 PM »
The games copied by Kichel It! include: Taboo, Poetry for Neanderthals, Charades, and Celebrities (aka Salad Bowl, The Name Game, etc., available in several commercial versions).

If you have it, just how does the showdown work if you roll it?

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2023, 04:39:42 PM »
All things mentioned here end today:

$24 (down from 40) https://www.gamenerdz.com/turing-machine
It's a deduction game in which you try to find a secret sequence of 3 numbers. Each round, you make your own sequence of 3 numbers and use it to ask certain questions about the secret number (the trick is in your being forced to use the same sequence for all the questions). What kind of questions can be asked can vary from game to game.

Now it's $15, but it's OOS at the Target in Howell.

For more Target stuff, see my post in the deals forum.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 04:42:51 PM by Randomex »

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2023, 07:08:15 PM »
On sale at Amazon for $16 (all-time low, close to 50% off the average): Raiders of the North Sea: Viking edition.
The "Viking Edition" is the same as the standard except that metal and wood pieces are replaced by cardboard.

This is a game in which each player leads a clan of Vikings, building up your strength and raiding various locations. The main mechanism is that there are a number of public action spaces that you use to do things. On most turns, you'll put down a worker in one space and do that space's action, then take a worker from another space and do that action as well. Some workers are better than others - IIRC, some spaces can only be used by certain levels of worker or give a bonus to better workers.

Edit: The workers aren't associated with the players; any player can take any worker from the board.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 09:14:21 PM by Randomex »

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2023, 03:51:39 PM »
Juicy Fruits is currently 50% off on Amazon ($14.99):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SBSY9Z3/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
It's a family-weight game of moving pieces around your board in a bit of a sliding-puzzle fashion to collect resources, with options to fulfill orders to free up more space and to buy useful/valuable tiles that will then take up space.

Currently on sale for $16.63.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2023, 03:52:25 PM »
Escape-room-in-a-box product on sale at Amazon - $9.99 (69% off):
Hunt A Killer - Nancy Drew: Mystery at Magnolia Gardens

Lakewood:
If you'd be interested in a fantasy-themed, heavily app-driven adventure game for kids
ages 6-8 or so, the warehouse sale at 105 River Avenue has a number of copies of this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/340288/kids-chronicles-quest-moon-stones
(Go straight in from the entrance to the far back, then turn to look on the upper level of tables.
I didn't ask for a price as I wasn't considering buying it.)
The general idea is that you go to places on a map which you can then look around in within the app, finding items that
you then take the cards for. There are also characters at these locations. Characters, items, and locations each have a QR
code which you can scan in sequence to talk to the characters about the items/locations or use your items at the locations.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 03:58:56 PM by Randomex »

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2023, 04:25:43 PM »
(Go straight in from the entrance to the far back, then turn to look on the upper level of tables.
I didn't ask for a price as I wasn't considering buying it.)

I should've added: But all items are $10 or less.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2023, 03:33:15 AM »
Now it's $15, but it's OOS at the Target in Howell.

Now $18.49 (Trg, not Amz). I got the last copy in Brick. (Weight: 6.5 pounds.)

On the for-younger-children side, Oh No, Volcano! and Sorry! Sliders are also on sale.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2023, 03:56:34 PM »
Raccoon Tycoon at Kohl's for $12.50.

A light economic game of auctions and selling goods to a commodities board, with anthropomorphic animals in Victorian-era costume.
(Light for an economic game, that is. The rules aren't Connect Four simple.)

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2024, 02:50:29 PM »
Galaxy Trucker (2021 edition) is at an all-time low on Amazon ($20.96, avg $33.97):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093HBWYB4/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Be aware that it uses a sand timer.

Consists of 2 parts (repeatable for a longer game). In part 1, players build their spaceships in real time, taking tiles from the center with one hand. In part 2, you find out what happens to your ships along the way (you might be able to preview it during the first part at the cost of some building time). If your ship survives the run and manages to deliver anything, I think that counts as a success.

Offline Randomex

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2024, 10:32:14 PM »
Amazon is having a buy-one-get-one-50%-off sale (25% off if identical prices) on some games, some of which also
individually have their prices reduced. Here are a few I noted, although there's a bit of an issue in that most of the
prices here aren't very close to each other (Sushi Go Party and TtR London are the exception at $22 and $18):

Sleeping Queens (Gamewright) - 42% off (Well-known children's card game):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009XBY3A/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sushi Go Party (Gamewright) - not reduced (Sushi Go with more variety, a higher player count, and a score marker track):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CETNKE2/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Ticket to Ride: London - 28% off (A shorter, scaled-down version of Ticket to Ride):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SG5QWJY/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Lost Ruins of Arnak - 33% off (A somewhat heavier game):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CD3JVQB/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Note: I got this for about $28 from Target during a 33%-off sale. If you match the price closely, it's about $30 here.

Wingspan - 26% off (Some people like this somewhat heavier game about birds):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YQ641NQ/?tag=cl03f-20&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Note: The 26%-off price is comparable to online board game stores. The further 25%
off if you match the price is good, maybe with something from the Catan line.

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2024, 08:49:28 AM »
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!