Morocco - Dec. 2020

Likely:
Saudi Arabia
Oman

Rumored:
Qatar  HMMM
Kuwait

« Last edited by jew on October 26, 2023, 12:40:44 AM »

Author Topic: Peace In The Middle East Master Thread  (Read 136230 times)

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Peace In The Middle East Master Thread
« Reply #480 on: December 16, 2020, 12:28:48 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-12-16/what-biden-should-do-about-israel-and-palestine

"His priority should be undoing the mess created by the Trump administration."

lol
To contact the author of this story:
Hussein Ibish at hussein.ibish@gmail.com

To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Bobby Ghosh at aghosh73@bloomberg.net

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Israel And The UAE Are Heading Towards Peace
« Reply #482 on: December 17, 2020, 09:02:49 AM »
If I had to guess based on the wording, I would say this is Indonesia (or Pakistan).
So it seems like my second guess was right.

https://twitter.com/i24news_en/status/1339563317950623749
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline BP16

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 17, 2020, 01:42:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/dahrinoor2/status/1338228503095992323
What are the benefits for Israel? I dont think its a place for tourism? 

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 17, 2020, 02:08:51 PM »
Now you tell me ? I already had a wedding planned there.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #485 on: December 17, 2020, 02:36:25 PM »

Trade. Security cooperation. Incoming tourism.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan

Offline JudahMcB

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 17, 2020, 05:03:44 PM »
Peace with a nuclear capable Muslim nation.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 18, 2020, 10:31:51 AM »
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #489 on: December 18, 2020, 11:07:43 AM »
You Tube Video
Is my line below the TL/DR?
WOW!!!!

https://en.globes.co.il/en/article-agreement-signed-to-operate-israel-uae-oil-pipeline-1001346340

There's an interesting twist to this story, which I don't see addressed. IIRC Iran has joint ownership with Israel of the Eilat-Ashkelon pipeline.

ETA: It seems like there might have been some change, with another corporation set up (eapc.co.il) that manages the assets of the original corporation. It's very complex, and I don't have the time now to research it.

https://www.davar1.co.il/125818/
There was a big article written in one of the Israeli financial newspapers a month or two ago that I enjoyed reading. It was an in depth analysis about a possible oil pipeline that would release the gulf states from the threat of Iranian attacks against oil tankers in the Hurmuz strait. Such a pipeline from the Gulf to Europe with Israel as the focal point of transfer would arguably be safer and cheaper and would benefit both countries greatly.
Which could possibly have been THE major drive for the entire agreement. It would be a total game changer for the entire oil transport industry by cutting travel time and avoiding the Suez Canal besides the Straits of Hormuz.
I think it's universally accepted that Iran is the major impetus in getting the deal done. This is merely another detail.

A new pipeline is definitely something workable (though I would assume the Israelis will have learned something from their historical experience of a join pipeline with a foreign nation on their own soil). If it's the same pipeline it would be interesting how a pipeline built in partnership with Iran (Sha's regime) to bypass the Suez canal, would be used by Arab nations to avoid the Iranians.

Was anyone able to find updated information about the ownership? Is Iran out, or are they still entitled to their share of the fees paid to use the pipeline?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 18, 2020, 11:29:12 AM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/18/progressive-defense-biden-448062

Well that was a nice run while it lasted.
Progressives line up their own national security recruits for Biden

Some 100 candidates listed for senior posts have no corporate ties but a history of questioning foreign policy orthodox
Dozens of groups contributed, including the Progressive Change Institute; Common Defense; the Revolving Door Project; Friends of the Earth U.S., Progressive Democrats of America; the Project on Government Oversight; EarthRights International, the Center for Economic and Policy Research; the Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft; Win Without War; Peace Action; Women's Action for New Directions; National Iranian American Council Action; the American Economic Liberties Project; and the Arab American Institute.....
Trita Parsi, co-founder of the Quincy Institute and a former United Nations official, is being recommended to oversee Middle East affairs on the National Security Council.
Who is Trita Parsi?
https://www.tritaparsi.com/
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/06/the-middle-east-is-more-stable-when-the-united-states-stays-away/

That aged well ::)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trita_Parsi

Lobbying controversy and defamation lawsuit
In 2007, Arizona-based Iranian-American blogger[12] Hassan Daioleslam began publicly asserting that NIAC was lobbying on behalf of the Islamic Republic of Iran. In response, Parsi sued him for defamation. As a result of the lawsuit, many internal documents were released, which The Washington Times national security correspondent Eli Lake stated "raise questions about whether the organization is using that influence to lobby for policies favorable to Iran in violation of federal law." The documents included e-mail correspondence between Parsi and Mohammad Javad Zarif, then Iran's ambassador to the United Nations.[13] E-mail correspondence of Daioleslam said, "I strongly believe that Trita Parsi is the weakest part of the Iranian web because he is related to Siamak Namazi and Bob Ney... I believe that destroying him will be the start of attacking the whole web. This is an integral part of any attack on Clinton or Obama."[14][15]

In September 2012, a U.S. federal judge John D. Bates threw out the libel suit against Daioleslam on the grounds that "NIAC and Parsi had failed to show evidence of actual malice, either that Daioeslam acted with knowledge the allegations he made were false or with reckless disregard about their accuracy." Bates also wrote, "Nothing in this opinion should be construed as a finding that defendant’s articles were true. Defendant did not move for summary judgment on that ground, and it has not been addressed here."[16]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 11:32:18 AM by aygart »

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 19, 2020, 05:42:06 PM »
YWN:”Hagaon HaRav Yitzhak Yosef, the Sephardic Chief Rabbi of Israel traveled to Dubai on Thursday in the first-ever visit by a sitting chief rabbi to an Arab country. Rav Yosef lit Menorah in Dubai. During his visit he plans to attend a ceremony building a mikvah and dedicate a new Shul in Abu Dhabi.

Rav Yosef has so far visited the first Kosher restaurant of the UAE at the Armani in the Burj Khalifa.”

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 19, 2020, 11:36:01 PM »
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/18/progressive-defense-biden-448062

Well that was a nice run while it lasted.Who is Trita Parsi?
https://www.tritaparsi.com/
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/06/the-middle-east-is-more-stable-when-the-united-states-stays-away/

That aged well ::)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trita_Parsi

Lobbying controversy and defamation lawsuit
In 2007, Arizona-based Iranian-American blogger[12] Hassan Daioleslam began publicly asserting that NIAC was lobbying on behalf of the Islamic Republic of Iran. In response, Parsi sued him for defamation. As a result of the lawsuit, many internal documents were released, which The Washington Times national security correspondent Eli Lake stated "raise questions about whether the organization is using that influence to lobby for policies favorable to Iran in violation of federal law." The documents included e-mail correspondence between Parsi and Mohammad Javad Zarif, then Iran's ambassador to the United Nations.[13] E-mail correspondence of Daioleslam said, "I strongly believe that Trita Parsi is the weakest part of the Iranian web because he is related to Siamak Namazi and Bob Ney... I believe that destroying him will be the start of attacking the whole web. This is an integral part of any attack on Clinton or Obama."[14][15]

In September 2012, a U.S. federal judge John D. Bates threw out the libel suit against Daioleslam on the grounds that "NIAC and Parsi had failed to show evidence of actual malice, either that Daioeslam acted with knowledge the allegations he made were false or with reckless disregard about their accuracy." Bates also wrote, "Nothing in this opinion should be construed as a finding that defendant’s articles were true. Defendant did not move for summary judgment on that ground, and it has not been addressed here."[16]

Trump is more likely to remain POTUS than Biden is to hire Parsi for this position. Aside for his policies and the unlikeliness he will get security clearance, Biden is hiring Washington swamp and this guy never worked for the government.

All you're showing is that some lefties asked Biden to hire him.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 19, 2020, 11:38:45 PM »
Trump is more likely to remain POTUS than Biden is to hire Parsi for this position. Aside for his policies and the unlikeliness he will get security clearance, Biden is hiring Washington swamp and this guy never worked for the government.

All you're showing is that some lefties asked Biden to hire him.
I hear, but it is more that they are supposedly progressive for the sole reason that they are pro Iran.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 19, 2020, 11:47:55 PM »
I hear, but it is more that they are supposedly progressive for the sole reason that they are pro Iran.
I don't know much about this topic but a cursory look on his Wikipedia page would suggest many reasons to identify him as a progressive

Early life and education[edit]
Born in Behbahan, Iran into a Zoroastrian family, his father was a politically active university professor, at Jondi-Shapoor University of Ahvaz, who had been jailed twice, first by Mohammad Reza Pahlavi and then following the Iranian Revolution by Ruhollah Khomeini,[1] and Parsi moved with his family to Sweden at the age of four in order to escape the political repression in Iran.[2] Parsi earned a master's degree in International Relations at Uppsala University and a second master's degree in Economics at Stockholm School of Economics.[3] As an adult, Parsi moved to the United States and studied foreign policy at the Johns Hopkins School for Advanced International Studies, where he received his Ph.D.[4] in International Relations under Francis Fukuyama.[3]

Career[edit]
Early in his career Parsi worked for the Swedish Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York, where he served in the Security Council, handling the affairs of Afghanistan, Iraq, Tajikistan, and Western Sahara, and on the General Assembly's Third Committee, addressing human rights in Iran, Afghanistan, Myanmar and Iraq.[3]

He has served as an adjunct professor of International Relations at Johns Hopkins University SAIS, an adjunct scholar at the Middle East Institute and as a Policy Fellow at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington DC.[5]

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 19, 2020, 11:49:49 PM »
I don't know much about this topic but a cursory look on his Wikipedia page would suggest many reasons to identify him as a progressive
What do you see there that suggests it?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 19, 2020, 11:57:23 PM »
What do you see there that suggests it?
Addressing human rights issues is a progressive policy

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 19, 2020, 11:58:39 PM »
Addressing human rights issues is a progressive policy
Lol

Also where do you see that he addressed human rights?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 12:02:57 AM by aygart »

Online tavster

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
-- Dan