Author Topic: Portable freezer recommendations  (Read 3642 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Portable freezer recommendations
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2022, 12:04:38 PM »
I've used regular coolers for years for a full week with raw meat and never had an issue. Just get a good quality cooler (Coleman/igloo 4-5 day) with a spigot to drain water, position the meat and ice properly, and try not to open too much. Replenish ice every day if the weather is real hot. And if you want, see about vacuum packing meat and Ziploc other foods to avoid getting wet

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2022, 12:11:35 PM »
And if you want, see about vacuum packing meat and Ziploc other foods to avoid getting wet

To clarify an common misconception (although that's not what you're implying here): vacuum packing food does NOT negate the need for a fridge or freezer.

Vacuum packing helps to extend the freshness of food, but only if kept at the correct temperature. I've seen people vacuum pack cold cuts for example and think it doesn't need to he refrigerated anymore - that's a recipe for food poisoning.

And of course, it helps avoid messes and leaks.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2022, 12:19:51 PM »

And of course, it helps avoid messes and leaks.

This was my point

Offline AYHG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2022, 12:48:02 PM »
I would suggest for anyone buying a sizeable cooler that they make sure to get one with a drain plug on the bottom. The standard basic ones don't have a plug, which means the entire cooler would need to be flipped in order to drain any melted ice.

I would also suggest getting one with rear wheels and an extendable (suitcase style) handle. Those are the easiest to move around.

We have one like this and we're very happy with it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-50-Quart-Xtreme-5-Day-Hard-Cooler-with-Wheels-Dark-Blue/23374667

On the other hand, getting one with wheels and handles positioned like this one will make it very awkward to maneuver without having it constantly knocking against your feet. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-40QT-Hard-Sided-Wheeled-Chest-Cooler-Red-and-White/24440233

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2022, 12:53:26 PM »
I would suggest for anyone buying a sizeable cooler that they make sure to get one with a drain plug on the bottom. The standard basic ones don't have a plug, which means the entire cooler would need to be flipped in order to drain any melted ice.

I would also suggest getting one with rear wheels and an extendable (suitcase style) handle. Those are the easiest to move around.

We have one like this and we're very happy with it. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-50-Quart-Xtreme-5-Day-Hard-Cooler-with-Wheels-Dark-Blue/23374667

On the other hand, getting one with wheels and handles positioned like this one will make it very awkward to maneuver without having it constantly knocking against your feet. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-40QT-Hard-Sided-Wheeled-Chest-Cooler-Red-and-White/24440233
Be careful with junky telescopic handles. Also, a longer but shallower cooler can be easier to access food inside, but those are getting harder to find these days

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2022, 02:33:32 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't check my meat; it's not like you'd be able to replace it if your bag is lost or delayed.  I've taken a carry-on cooler full of meat and chicken for a family for a few weeks, and we didn't run out.
44/50, 46/63

Offline AYHG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2022, 04:35:33 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't check my meat; it's not like you'd be able to replace it if your bag is lost or delayed.  I've taken a carry-on cooler full of meat and chicken for a family for a few weeks, and we didn't run out.

Personally, I wouldn't schlep meat on a flight anymore if traveling in the US and landing in any city with a trader joe's. They have Empire chicken and Teva ground meat, as well as a random cut of meat, often ribeye. I haven't had an issue relying on its availability from Phoenix, AZ to Williamsburg, VA and Knoxville, TN. You can call the store ahead of time to confirm they carry them if you're concerned about availability. We actually purchased our cooler at a Seattle Walmart upon landing there for a Rockies trip.

They also have pas yisroel breads. See here https://www.chabadwilliamsburg.org/media/pdf/1196/pxUg11968668.pdf

If the OP will be landing in SLC, this can be an option.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2022, 05:04:11 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't schlep meat on a flight anymore if traveling in the US and landing in any city with a trader joe's. They have Empire chicken and Teva ground meat, as well as a random cut of meat, often ribeye. I haven't had an issue relying on its availability from Phoenix, AZ to Williamsburg, VA and Knoxville, TN. You can call the store ahead of time to confirm they carry them if you're concerned about availability. We actually purchased our cooler at a Seattle Walmart upon landing there for a Rockies trip.

They also have pas yisroel breads. See here https://www.chabadwilliamsburg.org/media/pdf/1196/pxUg11968668.pdf

Unless too many people start relying on this...

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2022, 05:14:55 PM »
Will last as long you can put in fresh ice.

Successfully did this for longer than 5 days.
+1

Offline Abey

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2022, 08:58:02 AM »

will be landing in BZN. Thanks all for the advice! Will be using cooler although the thought of dripping ice and meat juice doesn’t excite me it should work…
If someone has a cooler with drain, wheels and lockable lid for check in please post as I can’t seem to find the trifecta, all are missing one of these features.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2022, 09:12:34 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't schlep meat on a flight anymore if traveling in the US and landing in any city with a trader joe's. They have Empire chicken and Teva ground meat, as well as a random cut of meat, often ribeye.

Very hard to believe that's true outside of main cities which have Jewish population
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Moshe Green

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2022, 11:47:45 AM »
Very hard to believe that's true outside of main cities which have Jewish population
he was speaking about williamsburg, VA not vilyamsburg, NY

Offline AYHG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2022, 02:38:41 PM »

I've been as surprised as you are, but I haven't yet come across a location that doesn't stock them in the past two years. I'm really interested to hear if someone out there found a location that doesn't stock them as I will then need to check with the stores in advance of travel. Another location out in the boondocks that stocked kosher meat iirc is Trader Joe's in Prescott, AZ.

Offline moka

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2022, 03:43:22 PM »
will be landing in BZN. Thanks all for the advice! Will be using cooler although the thought of dripping ice and meat juice doesn’t excite me it should work…
If someone has a cooler with drain, wheels and lockable lid for check in please post as I can’t seem to find the trifecta, all are missing one of these features.
Keeping meat and ice in separate ziplocks may help a little to prevent some juices from flowing.

Offline AYHG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2022, 07:29:10 PM »

Another option would be to deep freeze the meats and pack them tightly inside a suitcase or strong carton box for check in, and then buy a cooler at your destination. We did this twice some years ago and the meat was still mostly frozen upon arrival. The temperature in the cargo hold of most planes is around 45 degrees Fahrenheit, cold enough so that it doesn't melt quickly.

Offline Realshlomo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2022, 02:13:32 PM »
ACOPOWER Outdoor Solar Freezer and Cooler, Fridge -4°F 16/32/42/52-Quart Solar/AC/Car Charging Battery and Compressor Built-in (42 Quart) https://a.co/giQZnDP

I have one ordered looking to sell for $225.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 02:28:43 PM by Realshlomo »