Author Topic: Is Covid Spiking in Boro Park?  (Read 57521 times)

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is Covid Spiking in Boro Park?
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2020, 04:27:33 PM »
I live in an OOT community and have a son getting married this week in NYC.

The idea of rabbonim forbidding OOT's from attending a NY wedding is laughable. First, the Tristate rabbonim (yeshivish circles) have moved on. The only potential incentive for them to prevent OOT from attending would be if they believed it was halachically warranted AND it was protecting the NY-area residents. Certainly once the initial wave passed, many Rabbonim did not believe it was halachically warranted to shut down or limit communal life.  Adding to that, Tristate-area frum circles have achieved herd immunity (whether real or imagined, practically it is the same). Secondly, the number of OOT that will actually attend is very limited even without the Rabbonim getting involved, at least in our case and all those I have spoken to that are in our shoes. A large percentage of friends and older family members from OOT are regrettably (not a Covid editorial, but personally) not going to be attending. The majority of the OOT attendees will be the friends of the chason and kallah and they have been to countless weddings in the last 3 months and have been in camps and yeshivos without recent infections, so are unlikely to be newly infected. Third, law or not, people are traveling to/from NY for business, pleasure, family, etc. from OOT for multiple days and the quarantine laws are just not relevant. It is hypocritical that the law becomes a factor for Tristate weddings and not for other 'illegal' travel.

The fact is, as stated by by several commentors, those returning from weddings that are newly infected have not lead to known community spread. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak, that OOT weddings are not leading to detectable community transmission.
The main stream Rabbonim have moved on and don't care about OOT people coming or any of this. Herd immunity or not they've moved on. Mazel tov

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2020, 04:32:28 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something. Are there any doctors who are ok with this that these Rabbonim are comfortable saying it's ok to move on like everything is normal?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2020, 04:35:42 PM »
The main stream Rabbonim have moved on and don't care about OOT people coming or any of this. Herd immunity or not they've moved on. Mazel tov
What would be the reasoning behind this if true? Who are these "main stream Rabbonim"? But what is going to be when there are 20 cases a week? You advocated going back into lockdown and i don't want to need to do that..
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2020, 04:38:30 PM »
Sorry, not following quarantine laws is extremely selfish and at a minimum is illegal. I'm not a posek, but I know around the MO community, it's completely assur to break it.

If someone is going to break it anyway, they should wear an N95 at all times, not eat or drink near anyone, and maintain 6 feet distance. Even testing isn't reliable as it could still be in incubation period but still contagious.

The only exception to quarantine that I'm aware of is business travel for less than 24 hours. I don't think it's that big of a stretch to say being at a wedding, where people will likely be eating, dancing in close proximity, posing for pictures, as well as being in crowds of 50 people (if we're lucky and people follow that law) is far more likely to lead to spread vs. a business meeting.

There's a simple work around to attend a Simcha in compliance - quarantine for 14 days!

Someone mentioned that the weddings are fine when they were linked to 16 cases in BP. Just curious what's the death toll we're OK with on this is? If only 1 person dies from being exposed to an OOT person who broke the law, are we OK with that? Where's the cutoff?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2020, 04:50:44 PM »
If someone is going to break it anyway, they should wear an N95 at all times,

Does N95 make a difference in spread to others over any other type of mask?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2020, 04:52:03 PM »
There's a simple work around to attend a Simcha in compliance - quarantine for 14 days!
Is this supposed to be a joke?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2020, 04:53:57 PM »
Is this supposed to be a joke?
No, it's not. If the Simcha is too important to attend over Zoom, figure it out without putting others at risk.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2020, 04:54:44 PM »
Does N95 make a difference in spread to others over any other type of mask?
That's what they say... Better than some of the cloth types, but the N95 is laav dafka. Just get a very good mask.

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2020, 04:55:25 PM »
I live in an OOT community and have a son getting married this week in NYC.

The idea of rabbonim forbidding OOT's from attending a NY wedding is laughable. First, the Tristate rabbonim (yeshivish circles) have moved on. The only potential incentive for them to prevent OOT from attending would be if they believed it was halachically warranted AND it was protecting the NY-area residents. Certainly once the initial wave passed, many Rabbonim did not believe it was halachically warranted to shut down or limit communal life.  Adding to that, Tristate-area frum circles have achieved herd immunity (whether real or imagined, practically it is the same). Secondly, the number of OOT that will actually attend is very limited even without the Rabbonim getting involved, at least in our case and all those I have spoken to that are in our shoes. A large percentage of friends and older family members from OOT are regrettably (not a Covid editorial, but personally) not going to be attending. The majority of the OOT attendees will be the friends of the chason and kallah and they have been to countless weddings in the last 3 months and have been in camps and yeshivos without recent infections, so are unlikely to be newly infected. Third, law or not, people are traveling to/from NY for business, pleasure, family, etc. from OOT for multiple days and the quarantine laws are just not relevant. It is hypocritical that the law becomes a factor for Tristate weddings and not for other 'illegal' travel.

The fact is, as stated by by several commentors, those returning from weddings that are newly infected have not lead to known community spread. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak, that OOT weddings are not leading to detectable community transmission.
Camps without recent infections? There have been multiple campers returning home and testing positive. Another mesivta bochur in Lakewood from a large yeshivish camp was symptomatic and tested positive yesterday. This after the camp emailed the parents about another boy who tested positive as well.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2020, 04:55:58 PM »
No, it's not. If the Simcha is too important to attend over Zoom, figure it out without putting others at risk.
The fact that you can call 14 day quarantine simple shows how unrealistic you're being.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2020, 05:00:27 PM »
The fact that you can call 14 day quarantine simple shows how unrealistic you're being.

Just because something is extremely inconvenient, that doesn't make it unrealistic.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2020, 05:03:20 PM »
Just because something is extremely inconvenient, that doesn't make it unrealistic.
Anyone calling 14 day quarantine simple is unrealistic.

ETA: If you say "while it's extremely inconvenient, the only way to keep everyone safe is to quarantine for 14 days" we can discuss it, if you can't acknowledge the difficulty of 14 day quarantine you're not being realistic. Unlike some other people here, I find your posts to generally be realistic even when I disagree.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:08:11 PM by avromie7 »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2020, 05:07:20 PM »

I've done it a bunch of times now. It's really not that complicated. It's a pain in the rear, but it is fairly simple.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2020, 05:07:46 PM »

Sorry, not following quarantine laws is extremely selfish and at a minimum is illegal. I'm not a posek, but I know around the MO community, it's completely assur to break it.

This is why we aren't MO....
Literally an alternate universe.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2020, 05:07:53 PM »
You can do a quarantine realistically.
We travelled to NY from the holy land, we weren't required by law to quarantine. However, we felt it irresponsible not to.
We didn't stay indoors for two weeks (like we have back in EY, but that's another story). We went outdoors, ate on shabbos with family outdoors. Went bike riding. Went to non-packed parks, etc.
I just don't get it. We know that even if there is so called herd immunity, you can still infect people at the wedding. Will you be able to live with yourself if one of those people die?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2020, 05:09:31 PM »
Calling every person traveling a risk is exactly why we won't have any more restrictions in regular frum communities. Get real.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2020, 05:10:00 PM »
I've done it a bunch of times now. It's really not that complicated. It's a pain in the rear, but it is fairly simple.
I don't know you're personal situation, but for most people the complications that arise from a 14 day quarantine are definitely not simple.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2020, 05:10:21 PM »
Calling every person traveling a risk is exactly why we won't have any more restrictions in regular frum communities. Get real.
You don't think people coming from hotspots are a risk?

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2020, 05:11:18 PM »
You don't think people coming from hotspots are a risk?
Nope. Cdc even took off the requirement for isolating for 14 days after travel and just says people should be careful.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2020, 05:12:50 PM »
Nope. Cdc even took off the requirement for isolating for 14 days after travel and just says people should be careful.
So then why are there infections stemming from weddings, with locals being infected by OOTers? What do you mean by not a risk? I'm confused