Author Topic: Is Covid Spiking in Boro Park?  (Read 57503 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Is Covid Spiking in Boro Park?
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2020, 05:13:20 PM »
Nope. Cdc even took off the requirement for isolating for 14 days after travel and just says people should be careful.

The CDC is assuming that people are keeping the other precautions, such as social distancing, not gathering in large groups, and wearing a mask.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2020, 05:15:04 PM »
You can do a quarantine realistically.
We travelled to NY from the holy land, we weren't required by law to quarantine. However, we felt it irresponsible not to.
We didn't stay indoors for two weeks (like we have back in EY, but that's another story). We went outdoors, ate on shabbos with family outdoors. Went bike riding. Went to non-packed parks, etc.
I just don't get it. We know that even if there is so called herd immunity, you can still infect people at the wedding. Will you be able to live with yourself if one of those people die?
Unfortunately, that's not what a 14 day quarantine is.

The quarantine would allow you to go outside on to your property and leave for urgent  medical reasons, that's it.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2020, 05:15:30 PM »

This is why we aren't MO....
Literally an alternate universe.
I'm inspired by our commitment to Pikuach Nefesh.

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2020, 05:16:08 PM »

This is why we aren't MO....
Literally an alternate universe.
Speaking of which... a colleague of mine flew 2  weeks ago from California to ny. He's in Healthcare so he does need to quarantine per new york quarantine law. Anyhow he went to a Modox shul on his 14th day being in NY, and got an aliyah. After he walked away ome of the board members yelled at him that he's putting everyone in danger by coming to shul. So embarrassing people in public is fine if they don't follow rules how you like it. Point is, this would never happen in a Normal frum shul and its really insane how messed up people have gotten from this covid thing. Its very sad.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2020, 05:17:43 PM »
So then why are there infections stemming from weddings, with locals being infected by OOTers? What do you mean by not a risk? I'm confused
There were some isolated incidents that are just being blown out of proportion here. There are dozens of weddings with hundreds of people every night and we never hear stories. Few people here and there does not warrant everyone being called a risk.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2020, 05:18:19 PM »
Unfortunately, that's not what a 14 day quarantine is.

The quarantine would allow you to go outside on to your property and leave for urgent  medical reasons, that's it.
Like I said, I wasn't legally mandated to quarantine.

And attitudes like this, not understanding risk levels are what lead people to take no restrictions
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2020, 05:19:21 PM »
There were some isolated incidents that are just being blown out of proportion here. There are dozens of weddings with hundreds of people every night and we never hear stories. Few people here and there does not warrant everyone being called a risk.
So how do you define who is at risk? Or are we just OK with some people getting sick and maybe some people dying? Because Corona is over and that's the price we pay for living our normal lives?

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2020, 05:21:16 PM »
So how do you define who is at risk? Or are we just OK with some people getting sick and maybe some people dying? Because Corona is over and that's the price we pay for living our normal lives?
I'm sure you know numerous people who have died recently of covid.... In NY.  This isn't march anymore, they have more treatments and fact is far less people are dying. Get real. Every infected person isn't dropping dead now like they were then.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2020, 05:21:37 PM »

Like I said, I wasn't legally mandated to quarantine.

And attitudes like this, not understanding risk levels are what lead people to take no restrictions

I understand you weren't required to. I'm just saying that it is not a fair comparison to a legally mandated one.

I don't look at quarantine as a risk mitigation strategy - I look at it as a Lo Plug. If everyone comes up with a reason why they don't hav to follow it, then the whole thing breaks down.

Same attitude that lead to the spikes in FL/TX etc in the first place.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2020, 05:27:42 PM »
I don't know you're personal situation, but for most people the complications that arise from a 14 day quarantine are definitely not simple.

I think we're getting lost in semantics. The point is, people from OOT should not be coming in for simchos. If they feel it's important enough that they need to be there in person, there are remedies available to allow that to happen. Just because those remedies are difficult doesn't mean we should discard them and do as we please.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2020, 05:29:59 PM »
I think we're getting lost in semantics. The point is, people from OOT should not be coming in for simchos. If they feel it's important enough that they need to be there in person, there are remedies available to allow that to happen. Just because those remedies are difficult doesn't mean we should discard them and do as we please.
+100

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2020, 05:31:54 PM »
I'm inspired by our commitment to Pikuach Nefesh.
Safek pikuach nefesh?

https://mishpacha.com/where-life-comes-from/

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »
You don't think people coming from hotspots are a risk?
Most of the areas on the quarantine lists aren't hotspots, some of the states on the list aren't hotspots but fall within the parameters and even in the states that are, there are many areas with a very low number of infections but because they happen to be part off the same state they're automatically included.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2020, 05:33:51 PM »
I'm sure you know numerous people who have died recently of covid.... In NY.  This isn't march anymore, they have more treatments and fact is far less people are dying. Get real. Every infected person isn't dropping dead now like they were then.
I'm confused. They have treatements in NY but not in other locations?

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2020, 05:34:41 PM »
Safek pikuach nefesh?

https://mishpacha.com/where-life-comes-from/

We know that social distancing saves lives. This isn't really in dispute. The point is whether a seemingly onerous requirement is required. The answer is to follow the law as well as medical experts.

Also, the sugya is far more complicated as many times we DO treat a Safek P"N like a Vadai, but that's beyond the scope.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2020, 05:34:46 PM »

In the last 3 weeks, 2 of my friends buried their fathers. No, this wasn't in NY. The point is, people still do die from Covid, and the more people we allow to get infected, the greater the chances are that some will die.

You don't need to look very far to see infections that have happened at simchos. No, it was not "just a few." There have been cases every week since Tisha B'Av, and there were cases before the 3 weeks, as well. The more this happens, the more likely it is that locals get infected (see @Mikeoracle's frustrating personal account, and the resulting further spread within the local community). Dismissing it because we just can't be bothered is wrong, and I have yet to see any halachic basis for it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:43:11 PM by Lurker »

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2020, 05:34:53 PM »
Most of the areas on the quarantine lists aren't hotspots, some of the states on the list aren't hotspots but fall within the parameters and even in the states that are, there are many areas with a very low number of infections but because they happen to be part off the same state they're automatically included.
That may be true. So should we therefore say everyone is welcome? Or should we make an actual determination of where is there risk and take necessary precautions for those?

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2020, 05:36:58 PM »
I know people don't like it, but I'm going to use the car analogy. People die in car accidents and yet we still drive cars (just this week klal yisroel lost a 19 y/o), there is some point where we go back to normal life. The situation now is very different than it was in March.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2020, 05:37:09 PM »
I'm confused. They have treatements in NY but not in other locations?
Call it what you'd like. People aren't nearly as sick as they used to be and aren't dying like they used to in NY. Can't speak for other places.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2020, 05:38:17 PM »
Call it what you'd like. People aren't nearly as sick as they used to be and aren't dying like they used to in NY. Can't speak for other places.
LOL
I get it. Basically whatever the answer needs to be that you aren't inconvenienced