Author Topic: Is Covid Spiking in Boro Park?  (Read 58350 times)

Offline hllulbh1

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is Covid Spiking in Boro Park?
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2020, 12:34:06 PM »
And this is the source to go out of town to a wedding? Really? His psak to have more than 25 people in shul wearing masks shows this? Are you for real?

Responding to something taken out of context does not equal broken telephone.

That was NOT the context that this psak was mentioned in. There was discussion about dina d'malchusa dina being the end all and be all and this psak was mentioned to show there are definitely exceptions to the rule.

The source for out of town weddings, davening and learning without masks and social distancing is the fact that countless morei horaah, rebbes, rabbonim and roshei yeshiva are making, participating and encouraging regular weddings, learning and davening. Go to shuls and chasunah halls in Lakewood, Monroe, Monsey and Boro Park and you will see the facts on the ground. These include weddings with large contingents of travelers from OOT.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:37:45 PM by hllulbh1 »

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2020, 12:37:58 PM »
That was NOT the context that this psak was mentioned in. There was discussion about dina d'malchusa dina being the end all and be all and this psak was mentioned to show there are definitely exceptions to the rule.

The source for out of town weddings, davening and learning without masks and social distancing is the fact that countless morei horaah, rebbes, rabbonim and roshei yeshiva are making, participating and encouraging regular weddings, learning and davening. Go to shuls and chasunah halls in Lakewood, Monroe, Monsey and Boro Park and you will see the facts on the ground. These include weddings with large contingents of travelers from OOT.

That absolutely was the context you used but maybe that is not how you intended it. So let's get this straight, you are following the psak of your rov to wear a mask when you go to shul but for a chasuna, then you are going to ignore that same rov? Why?

This really does sound like a case of כי בשרירות לבי אלך
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Is Covid Spiking in Boro Park?
« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2020, 12:38:35 PM »
Not to invoke Godwin's Law or anything, but this is eerily similar to circa 1938.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:43:16 PM by Euclid »

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2020, 12:42:08 PM »
I was raised that Dina D'Malchusa covers everything, unless it is in direct conflict with halacha. I was raised that we try to get laws we don't like changed, but we do not ignore them. You say there is no basis for this, and I'll have to verify this independently, but I have yet to see anything quoted from contemporary halacha that explicitly allows for laws to be broken or ignored if they aren't of a financial nature.
You were not raised with Baltimore City Politics.
Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline SayWhat

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2020, 12:45:00 PM »
Not to invoke Godwin's Law or anything, but this is eerily similar to circa 1938.
My Shul does not require masks, so I switched to a shul that does. Judaism doesn't prevent the use of common sense. 

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2020, 12:52:52 PM »

Yea, they are most definitely unique in their corruption.... ain davar chadash. I don't see how this changes anything, especially in the context of our current conversation.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 25, 2020, 01:02:37 PM »
These rules are city or state?

Offline hllulbh1

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 25, 2020, 01:13:38 PM »
That absolutely was the context you used but maybe that is not how you intended it.

If that is how it was used, you are correct that is not how I intended it.

So let's get this straight, you are following the psak of your rov to wear a mask when you go to shul but for a chasuna, then you are going to ignore that same rov? Why?

This really does sound like a case of כי בשרירות לבי אלך

The shul requires masks because "when in Rome...". Several local rabbonim who require masks in their shuls did not require masks at weddings they made in the Tristate area because they believe, as many other Morei Horaah, that they are not necessary. My Rov does not believe masks are required at weddings al pi halacha.

If we required (at a chasunah in the Tristate area) masks, social distancing, quarantine or testing it would be extremely odd, as the 20 weddings in the TriState area that these same people have been to in the last month did not require them. You may call it  שרירות לבי but it is also the the norm. To quote from this week's daf yomi, puk chazi mai ama  d'bar- go out and see how the people on the outside act.

Offline hllulbh1

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2020, 03:48:51 PM »
Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Maryland and Montana have been removed from the NY quarantine requirements.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2020, 04:09:12 PM »
In fairness, frum Baltimore does not seem to be having higher spread than NY/NJ right now and I don't see much of a reason why someone from there should need the same guidelines as someone from FL.

Online yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2020, 06:08:10 PM »
People like to talk about how out of towners are bringing it to weddings and spreading it to out of towners there. I know first-hand about a wedding in BP where a local brought it, and spread to at least three other locals...

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 25, 2020, 07:03:20 PM »
In fairness, frum Baltimore does not seem to be having higher spread than NY/NJ right now and I don't see much of a reason why someone from there should need the same guidelines as someone from FL.
This might be just anecdotal, but if you followed my posts on the other threads- I have been sick for the last 3 weeks, as well as a bunch of other family members and wedding attendees (BP wedding), which seems pretty clear that it originated with someone from Baltimore that attended the Aufruf and then tested positive. Additionally a few other families I know were infected by me before I realized that I was sick with Covid.
Just a reminder- when "they say" that people are having it much "Milder" now than back in March and April, they are mainly referring to the danger part. B"h my levels were fine, and so were most of the other people I know- but a few of us (myself included) were pretty sick for close to 3 weeks. I was barely able to function, and it was a horrible experience. In any other context we would never use the term "milder" or "not so bad"- except when compared to what was going on back then.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 25, 2020, 08:01:44 PM »
This might be just anecdotal, but if you followed my posts on the other threads- I have been sick for the last 3 weeks, as well as a bunch of other family members and wedding attendees (BP wedding), which seems pretty clear that it originated with someone from Baltimore that attended the Aufruf and then tested positive. Additionally a few other families I know were infected by me before I realized that I was sick with Covid.
Just a reminder- when "they say" that people are having it much "Milder" now than back in March and April, they are mainly referring to the danger part. B"h my levels were fine, and so were most of the other people I know- but a few of us (myself included) were pretty sick for close to 3 weeks. I was barely able to function, and it was a horrible experience. In any other context we would never use the term "milder" or "not so bad"- except when compared to what was going on back then.
While in Baltimore they are blaming their cases on people at NY chasunas. https://baltimorejewishlife.com/news/news-detail.php?SECTION_ID=1&ARTICLE_ID=134304

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #213 on: August 25, 2020, 08:04:21 PM »
While in Baltimore they are blaming their cases on people at NY chasunas. https://baltimorejewishlife.com/news/news-detail.php?SECTION_ID=1&ARTICLE_ID=134304

I think I may have a solution...

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2020, 08:29:25 PM »
I think I may have a solution...
You don't say?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 25, 2020, 08:31:07 PM »
You don't say?

Shhhh.... It's a secret.

Offline SayWhat

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 25, 2020, 09:54:55 PM »

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 25, 2020, 10:17:48 PM »

Sad to see Hatzalah blatantly violating Daas Torah.

Offline hllulbh1

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 26, 2020, 12:19:01 AM »
Those are your sentiments, never mine.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 27, 2020, 01:25:00 AM »
In my neighborhood Wal-Mart, Target, Shoprite etc...   almost 100% mask compliance by the non-jews, walk into a Shul not a mask to be seen. For hundreds of years jews have been blamed for pandemics and for spreading disease, based on the way certain segments of the Frum communities are behaving maybe there are right.

Grow up, stop acting like a selfish spoiled child and put on a mask if for no other reason than that is what the rest of society is doing.     

I just can't get this. Walk into non-Jewish store, everyone is wearing a mask, besides for the super-frum lady who pretends to be born yesterday. Cashier reminds her to wear a mask, so she puts her hand near her nose and continues shopping. Seen ignorance to this degree a bunch of times already, as if "I didn't know" and "I don't have a mask" is still a good excuse 5 months later. What about chillul hashem? Derech eretz? Or simply not acting like a selfish retard in public? Just wear a damn mask, why is so hard to understand?
Visibly Jewish