Author Topic: Is Covid Spiking in Boro Park?  (Read 57528 times)

Offline yaakov35

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is Covid Spiking in Boro Park?
« Reply #280 on: September 02, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »
Communities don't operate in a vacuum. A spike in Boro Park will ripple to lakewood and to Bergen county.
Comes back you worrying about yourself.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 02, 2020, 08:40:55 PM »

For example for me personally, I would love to go to Bingo in Monsey to buy cheaper meat for Yom Tov, but I literally do not feel safe doing so.

And again worried about yourself. What kind of sick people are we turning into?

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #282 on: September 02, 2020, 08:41:46 PM »

Must be sad to be you, thinking that no one cares about anyone or anything but themselves.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 02, 2020, 08:44:40 PM »
Must be sad to be you, thinking that no one cares about anyone or anything but themselves.
Lol. When I go into a store and see someone not wearing a mask it really does not bother me, free country. Obviously I'd prefer if they did, but I don't feel that I'm personally being affected by his decision. Might be irresponsible of him but my personal safety is not based on his actions.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #284 on: September 02, 2020, 08:44:46 PM »
No its called you living in a vacuum and assuming everyone else has corona and is spreading it and therefore they are an issue. That is sick and demented, and that's exactly what the world is turning on itself. Your safety doesn't depend on other people. It depends on  doing what God wants from us, and not doing what he doesn't. Like not being nasty to other people etc. Of course everyone needs to take basic precautions, but to go on and ramble about putting people at risk etc, is just really sad.
You switch arguments effortlessly, like a magician. Now you’re arguing over how many people have corona and how large our histhadlus has to be. Next, I guess you’re going to discuss how deadly it is or somehow bring cars into this.

Fact: If many people have COVID, and I can’t go to Shul because you’re not wearing a mask, you not wearing a mask does affect me. If it is beyond you how one can be upset about that then there’s no hope.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline SayWhat

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 02, 2020, 08:46:03 PM »
So a Yid worrying about the health of other communities is called "worrying about yourself??

You are so lost.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #286 on: September 02, 2020, 08:46:22 PM »
Lol. When I go into a store and see someone not wearing a mask it really does not bother me, free country. Obviously I'd prefer if they did, but I don't feel that I'm personally being effected by his decision.
When I go into a school and someone is shooting an AK47 it really does not bother me, second amendment. Obviously I’d prefer if they didn’t but I don’t feel like I am personally being affected.

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 02, 2020, 08:48:08 PM »
When I go into a school and someone is shooting an AK47 it really does not bother me, second amendment. Obviously I’d prefer if they didn’t but I don’t feel like I am personally being affected.
So if you truly feel that way about masks and covid, then I highly recommend professional help .

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #288 on: September 02, 2020, 08:49:58 PM »
So if you truly feel that way about masks and covid, then I highly recommend professional help .
I don’t. But in a similar vein people may feel that way, albeit at a lower level. And believe it or not, for some people, COVID is actually close to a death sentence.

Did you know that around 95% of gunshot victims survive, with most achieving a great quality of life afterwards?

Offline yaakov35

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 02, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »
I don’t. But in a similar vein people may feel that way, albeit at a lower level. And believe it or not, for some people, COVID is actually close to a death sentence.
Based on what I'm reading here it seems like a valid comparison for some.
Did you know that around 95% of gunshot victims survive, with most achieving a great quality of life afterwards?

Of the people shot... were talking about someone maybe having covid, whose maybe contagious, whose maybe able to spread it to you, and your maybe gonna catch it. Do you not see a difference? Maybe not, and that might explain us not understanding each other

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #290 on: September 02, 2020, 09:01:59 PM »
Lol. When I go into a store and see someone not wearing a mask it really does not bother me, free country. Obviously I'd prefer if they did, but I don't feel that I'm personally being affected by his decision. Might be irresponsible of him but my personal safety is not based on his actions.

It's absolutely astounding to me how someone can spend as much time as you do arguing about masks and still have no clue how they work or why they're important. It's like a willful ignorance. It must take tremendous effort not to absorb even one iota of the science.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #291 on: September 02, 2020, 09:02:45 PM »
Based on what I'm reading here it seems like a valid comparison for some.
Of the people shot... were talking about someone maybe having covid, whose maybe contagious, whose maybe able to spread it to you, and your maybe gonna catch it. Do you not see a difference? Maybe not, and that might explain us not understanding each other

But when one is afraid of catching COVID (perhaps one is older with severe underlying issues) and would like to attend Shul, but can’t because COVID is prevalent and people are refusing to wear masks, it’s quite understandable why he’d be upset. Do you need to do it for his sake? That’s another discussion. But his feelings are reasonable.

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 02, 2020, 09:27:06 PM »

The science on antibodies is undetermined. Telling people they don't need to be concerned because we think antibodies will protect for an unknown amount of time is bad policy.

I don't understand. 8 out of 25 million is not good enough for you?
Pollution probably (because its not proven) kills more than 8 in 25 million people each year yet we have not done anything like this for that.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 02, 2020, 09:28:56 PM »
I don't understand why there's one set of guidelines for all of nyc, and a special version for frum people in Brooklyn.
In queens I'd say less than 50% of people I see wear masks besides for in places where they are required or they will not be served.
And my neighborhood is far from heavily jewish.

Offline grodnoking

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 02, 2020, 09:33:27 PM »

Great comparison!

Someone who passes near someone who *may* have covid who is not wearing a mask has a slightly less chance of killing the person than 95%. Just slightly.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #295 on: September 02, 2020, 09:38:35 PM »

Great comparison!

Someone who passes near someone who *may* have covid who is not wearing a mask has a slightly less chance of killing the person than 95%. Just slightly.
If that is how you perceived my argument you weren’t really paying attention.

This was what I said
The mind blowing part (and the part that reveals your gaping ignorance) is your and others’ befuddlement at people being upset that others aren’t wearing a mask.

When you don’t wear a mask, *they* feel they can’t come to shul. How is that hard to understand? Them wearing a mask won’t protect them as much as you wearing a mask will protect them. So when you don’t wear a mask, they can’t come to Shul.

That’s not called live and let live, it’s called I want to live the way I want and screw you. Even true libertarians don’t believe that.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 02, 2020, 09:39:39 PM »

Pollution probably (because its not proven) kills more than 8 in 25 million people each year yet we have not done anything like this for that.

It is currently undisputed that having been infected with Covid makes your body create antibodies, and that those antibodies will help keep you immune from subsequent infection for some time. It is mostly agreed upon that the shortest amount of time that immunity lasts is between 3-6 months. Most also agree that the immunity will probably last longer, but no one knows yet how long. Given that the vast majority if those 25 million infections occured within the accepted minimum immunity period of 3-6 months, those cases do nothing but confirm that initial time frame. Beyond 6 months, the science is very much undetermined.

With regards to the frum community in particular, the bulk of our infections occured around 6 months ago. Other places or communities that had large outbreaks of the virus around that time have managed to keep the virus out of their areas. We can't look to them for data on reinfection because they haven't been exposed a second time yet. Unfortunately, as @S209 pointed out earlier, the frum community may very well be the guinea pigs when it comes to collecting reinfection data. Now that doesn't mean reinfections will be rampant. It could turn out that antibodies last for 2 years in most people. But it does mean that the book is still being written on the subject, and to assume immunity when we know nothing solid about it would be foolish.

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 02, 2020, 09:59:03 PM »

We don't know if the antibodies last 5 months, 6 months, 12 months etc.

I'd rather not have another March/April as we figure that out.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 02, 2020, 10:22:45 PM »
you can measure a persons Yiras Shomayim by how serious he takes masks

["-"]

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile