Author Topic: Is Covid Spiking in Boro Park?  (Read 58440 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Is Covid Spiking in Boro Park?
« Reply #540 on: September 29, 2020, 08:04:30 PM »
I'll be honest with you. Masks barely bother me breathing wise personally, but I see they do bother and affect some people tremendously. I don't think they're just being drama queens- I think it legitimately affects different people very differently. I'm not saying that people shouldn't wear masks if it bothers them, but dismissing their discomfort out of hand because it doesn't affect you that way does not seem right to me. (It took me a bit to realize this also, that some people legitimately can barely handle certain masks. Different people's bodies are designed differently.)

It's not about dismissing their comfort, it's about finding a middle ground that works. We do it with all kinds of religious obligations- yarmulkas, tzitzis, hats, jackets/bekeshes, hair coverings and stockings for women - there are always alternatives to dropping it completely. To throw a tantrum about the discomfort instead of finding ways to make it work is akin to Yehuda57's toddler crying about wearing socks. It's irrational.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 29, 2020, 08:10:12 PM »
I took a few "mask breaks" by going 20 ft away from the (outdoor) minyan. It's a worthwhile sacrifice.

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #542 on: September 29, 2020, 08:17:19 PM »
I'll be honest with you. Masks barely bother me breathing wise personally, but I see they do bother and affect some people tremendously. I don't think they're just being drama queens- I think it legitimately affects different people very differently. I'm not saying that people shouldn't wear masks if it bothers them, but dismissing their discomfort out of hand because it doesn't affect you that way does not seem right to me. (It took me a bit to realize this also, that some people legitimately can barely handle certain masks. Different people's bodies are designed differently.)

I literally used to say this exact spiel because I felt like I couldn't breathe. But after switching from cotton and KN95s to better disposable masks and concentrating on breathing, it became tolerable and eventually I'm totally fine with it. How many potential surgeons do you know who dropped out of med school because they couldn't handle the mask?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #543 on: September 29, 2020, 08:21:52 PM »
I literally used to say this exact spiel because I felt like I couldn't breathe. But after switching from cotton and KN95s to better disposable masks and concentrating on breathing, it became tolerable and eventually I'm totally fine with it. How many potential surgeons do you know who dropped out of med school because they couldn't handle the mask?
I think a lot has to do with practicing proper breathing methods. Breathing in deeply through the nose will do much better.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yard sale

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 29, 2020, 08:32:09 PM »
You are overdoing this to the point that you are not being honest with yourself.
It’s a complicated sugya. It’s dishonest to cast it as black and white. I’m not saying I buy into the other position.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 29, 2020, 08:33:23 PM »
Are you referring to the “shteimel” that the Bobobovitch rabbi wears ?
https://mobile.twitter.com/hasidic_1/status/1310977907779661829
Lol!
When the goy is hearing so much Lubovitch, Bovov never had a chance ;D

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #546 on: September 29, 2020, 08:45:27 PM »
It's a slippery slope. If we have to wear masks in supermarkets some people might think they have to wear it in shul.
Nominated
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline hllulbh1

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 29, 2020, 09:13:53 PM »
Yet not acknowledged by the one member who has claimed the outbreak is despite all of the precautions being kept

If it was me it was probably referring to the fact that the lack of leadership in other communities was being blamed yet leadership in Baltimore did their best but still weren’t able to prevent an outbreak.

It was me. They took many precautions in the bubble model, where only people with negative tests were supposed to be allowed in. They had rules and someone/people broke them, which may have been the source of infection. It could have been other source or sources as well, there wasn't contact tracing to pinpoint the definitive source. I have heard several different "breaches which were the source".

They did not institute masks until after the outbreak, when it obviously was too late.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #548 on: September 29, 2020, 10:11:03 PM »
Masks sure do. Distancing is also a practical problem, with shuls packed yomim noraim where are you going to distance. Some places (like Chaim Berlin and others) made extra minyonim to spread things out but that still doesn't get proper distancing,

Try a mask bracket?
https://amzn.to/3hZRYTT

https://www.today.com/shop/face-brackets-masks-t190588
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 29, 2020, 10:14:10 PM »
I know a few offices in BP that closed due to covid-19 spread
["-"]

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 29, 2020, 11:48:07 PM »
It's not about dismissing their comfort, it's about finding a middle ground that works. We do it with all kinds of religious obligations- yarmulkas, tzitzis, hats, jackets/bekeshes, hair coverings and stockings for women - there are always alternatives to dropping it completely. To throw a tantrum about the discomfort instead of finding ways to make it work is akin to Yehuda57's toddler crying about wearing socks. It's irrational.
Maybe you aren't dismissing it, but just a few posts up we had this:
Restrict your breathing? Are you wearing a gas mask, or something else that is not air permeable?

I wore a cloth mask while laining both days on RH (outdoors) and it certainly gets warm, but I switched to a KN95 while davening and immediately felt cooler.

I wore a cloth mask laining on YK morning (indoors) and felt a bit warm when I started laining, but by shlishi it was back to normal. I again switched to the KN95 after finishing and had the immediate cooling.

I actually forgot to change out of the KN95 for laining at mincha (oops) and that was the only time that I felt stifled, but that was a short laining.

You really need to experiment with masks in a non-davening setting and see what works for you.

If I was the Baal Mussaf/Shacharis I don't know if I could have done a mask for 2-3 hrs of straight chazanus, but for laining on an average Shabbos (I've been on every second or third Shabbos since Shavuous) and giving a daf shiur, I can't say that I felt that my breathing was restricted in a surgical or cloth mask.
Fake news. I davened with a mask the entire Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur and it was the easiest fast I've had in years. I hated the mask at first, but after playing around with different types and wearing them when necessary I've gotten used to it. I mean, I rip it off as fast as the next guy when it's not needed, but the drama over it is a bit like my toddler arbitrarily deciding wearing his socks is like walking on spikes.
Oh please.  We daven in wool jackets, wool blankets, and uncomfortable hats and sheitels. But the mask is where we draw the line?
Wearing masks and distancing doesn't seem to detract from davening...
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #551 on: September 29, 2020, 11:52:26 PM »
Maybe you aren't dismissing it, but just a few posts up we had this:
Can we agree that in communities where mask wearing is prevalent there seems to be a lower incidence of complaints and vice versa?

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #552 on: September 29, 2020, 11:55:47 PM »
Very true reasoning. With such a great absence of leadership it's really about time for Moshiach already.

Moshiach should come, but just because leadership disagrees with your opinion, doesn't mean that it's absent.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #553 on: September 29, 2020, 11:57:30 PM »
Moshiach should come, but just because leadership disagrees with your opinion, doesn't mean that it's absent.
I’m not sure you know what his opinion is, and his comment did not shed light on that.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 29, 2020, 11:58:41 PM »
Can we agree that in communities where mask wearing is prevalent there seems to be a lower incidence of complaints and vice versa?
Compaints or not don't change the facts.

What I do know as fact is when I flew and had to wear a mask, there were a few times I started getting a serious headache (usually after "wrestling" with my kids). As soon as I took off my mask it started getting better. After happening a couple of times I noticed the pattern...

For anyone to say "it doesn't restrict breathing" is utter nonsense.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Moshe123

• View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #555 on: September 29, 2020, 11:59:43 PM »
I’m not sure you know what his opinion is, and his comment did not shed light on that.

It was more a general comment and not really intended only as a reply to him.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #556 on: September 30, 2020, 12:31:37 AM »

What I do know as fact is when I flew and had to wear a mask, there were a few times I started getting a serious headache (usually after "wrestling" with my kids). As soon as I took off my mask it started getting better. After happening a couple of times I noticed the pattern...

It is also possible that you are from a small cohort of people that it has an outsized impact on

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 30, 2020, 12:36:05 AM »

Use a thinner mask.  An N95 filters much more closely than a regular surgical one.  A cloth one allows even more air through.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 30, 2020, 12:41:46 AM »
I was forced to wear a mask yk, it was very hard in the beginning, I found that if its adjusted  properly its not that bad,
make sure its not to small on you
Don't let it hang over your ear, it should be the closest to the skin of your face
Stick in a tissue on top of your nose to block your glasses from getting foggy
["-"]

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 30, 2020, 12:58:45 AM »
The mesorah was broken in a sense when the leaders went from being rabbonim to roshei yeshiva.
+1
Can't say specific to this issue, and it's not across the board of chareidi communities, but there absolutely is a specific manhigus that's specific to the shimush/siyata dishmaya/experience of one who is actively involved in מורה הוראה בפועל And involved directly with the tzibur on a regular basis. The Rosh yeshiva may indeed be orders of magnitude more scholarly, but that does not, in itself, make him a מורה הוראה בפועל