Author Topic: going to israel  (Read 5958 times)

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
going to israel
« on: October 14, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »
 I would like to go to israel this yr sometime which cc should i get to get there the cheapest way ? thanks in advance!!

Offline eli1571

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: going to israel
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:07:25 PM »
which cc should i get to get there the cheapest way ?
do u mean get an israeli cc or which card to use to fly there pls write the question clearer

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »
sorry im new to the whole miles idea i only have a cash back citi card and a blue for business amex and i would like to switch to the starwards card and what other card should i get for non amex? and how many miles would i need to accumlate to get there? what would be the quickest way to do it?  sholuld i start with churning aa cards or get a contintal card or both

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 06:03:24 PM »
Well just a little note on the side switching ur card to a starwood card will not give u the sign up bonus. And also y wud u churn both the continental and the aa since u can't really use their miles as one y not stick to one of them

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 07:12:36 PM »
You can get 30K AA miles with the current Citi CC signup promotion, if you can get approved for 3 of those then 90K miles can get you an economy ticket on El Al. (the promotion is for Visa, MC and amex Citi cards- do a search on the forums, i posted a link for these.)

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:26:56 PM »
thanks! do i have to get all 3 or could i get for my wife and share the miles?  and how many miles do you need for business seats?

Offline fest

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:44:40 PM »
no,u can not share miles-but u can give ur wife a seat with your miles or vice versa,and biz is 67500 each way(and its possible to go non-stop with elal.good luck

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:05:05 AM »
is the aa card the best way to do it? just get 3 cards for me and 3 for my wife my wife and off we go to israel is it that simple?

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 11:25:21 AM »
In order to get the 30K bonus you need to spend $750 on each card within first 4 months (if necessary US mint coins can help you there) Just remember that some have reported not being able to apply for more than 1 card per 60 days so this might take you a while to accumulate all 3 unless you get lucky and get approved for more than one at a time (In early July I applied for MC and Amex versions and got approved for both so YMMV) Also keep in mind that the current promotion for signup bonus of 30K expires on Dec 31- no way to know for sure if they will extend (the last one expired on Aug 31 and they extended until end of the year) or if the bonus will go back to 25K per card.
As others have mentioned availablity on El Al using AA points can sometimes be hard but personally I know some people that do this all the time so I guess as long as you book enough in advance and not in the highest season you should be fine.

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »
If u want to go continental then u can try their card and also if i remember there's also some sort of signup bonus for opening a checking account with them something like 25000 miles and same for cc so that's already 50 k

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »
how many miles do you need with continental to fly to israel? is it better then the 30k form aa or maybe i should get both would that help? thanks for all the info!!!!

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 01:49:30 PM »
Not sure how many u need on continental i think that some1 posted here that u need 90k for economy but just to make sure u know that u can't combine the aa and co miles so if u want to fly with ur wife on the same flight make sure u stick to the same ff program for the 2 of u 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »
The Starwood card will be your best bet for spending.  As far as churning goes, I churn everything I can get my hands on!

Continental will charge 75K in coach and 115K in BusinessFirst to TLV effective 10/27.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 03:02:48 PM »
could you still get the 25k for opening a chase account and US Airways is offering 25k and they fly to israel is it worth getting it? and which Starwood card should i get personal or the business card is there a differance? thanks!!

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 10:45:11 AM »
 just wanted to make sure that you understood that even thou CO and US will both be Members of *A as of 10/25. You cant combine the 25k  from both to have 50k in 1 of the 2 programs.

Also with the SPG card it takes 2 SPG pts for every CO mile (same with UA,BTW). The reg Amex with membership rewards gets transferred as 1 MR to 1 CO, but no 5k bonus for every 20k being transferred. Dont remember off hand if US is a member of MR, it is with SPG

also before going the US route try to see what its like for cashing out for a TLV tkt, CO lately has had seats available even more so for those who are Plats with CO. Sorry but I have no history with US, but I strongly suggest doing your homework before moving any pts into miles

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 07:46:21 PM »
just wondering which airline miles program its easier to get a ticket to israel aa  or co thanks which cc should i use more?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 08:32:10 PM »
just wondering which airline miles program its easier to get a ticket to israel aa  or co thanks which cc should i use more?

AA can be used on ElAl,AA & BA,AA & Iberia

CO can be used on CO,USAir (from Philly), with connecting in Europe Lufthasa,Swiss,Austrian,British Midlands,Turkish (Id rather not, good Carrier, Lousy Govt),Lot, Air Canada. Now this wont be till 10/27. Since CO is switching to Star Alliance no way to know now what it will be like trying to cash in CO miles for a flight to TLV on the other Members till after CO is offically a part of SA

It would seem it should be easier to use CO miles but 1 never knows. UA does a very good job of blocking the use of its Miles on the other Members planes, CO says it wont follow suit, but 1 never knows what in the end will be till then

Thusly my Suggestion since its 10/22, dont do anything for another 2 weeks and after 11/1 call CO with some dates and see what they answer you and do the same with AA

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 08:53:55 PM »
AA can be used on ElAl,AA & BA,AA & Iberia

Don't forget Royal Jordanian  ;D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 09:10:25 PM »
Don't forget Royal Jordanian  ;D

Yep I forgot RJ getting old aint no joke

that aside I actually had a res in Biz on RJ for Pesach '08 till I was able to get TK instead. I wouldnt have minded RJ except the 5+ hrs layover in AMM going in and it was an RJ to AMM from TLV with 3+ hrs layover, so I ended in Coach on TK instead of Biz on RJ. No problems davening on TK dont know what it would have been like on RJ.

Many Israelis actually fly RJ on paid tkts when heading to Asia as its alot less time since they fly over all the Muslim Countries that LY doesnt, and they have daily flights while LY has a couple of flights per week. Then it usually costs alot less $$ too.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 09:41:27 PM »
Yep I forgot RJ getting old aint no joke

that aside I actually had a res in Biz on RJ for Pesach '08 till I was able to get TK instead. I wouldnt have minded RJ except the 5+ hrs layover in AMM going in and it was an RJ to AMM from TLV with 3+ hrs layover, so I ended in Coach on TK instead of Biz on RJ. No problems davening on TK dont know what it would have been like on RJ.

Many Israelis actually fly RJ on paid tkts when heading to Asia as its alot less time since they fly over all the Muslim Countries that LY doesnt, and they have daily flights while LY has a couple of flights per week. Then it usually costs alot less $$ too.
Beaubo also pointed out to me another good thing about RJ:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/5533
JFK-AMM: 9,235 kms. (20,000 SPG via LAN)
AMM-TLV: 109 kms. (2,400 SPG via LAN)