Author Topic: COVID-19 Reinfection  (Read 48010 times)

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 Reinfection
« Reply #140 on: October 04, 2020, 11:06:41 PM »
They only found one guy in Nevada out of the who US.
That's for a simple reason. Most reinfections can be explained as relapses. There are very few documented reinfections, which are cases where the genome was documented to be different, ruling out a relapse.

There have since been more cases confirmed and there are dedicated sites tracking this.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #141 on: October 04, 2020, 11:14:53 PM »
Can very well be false positive. I know people who were positive on pcr with no symptoms, retested the next day and were negetive. Same goes with antibodies, a lot of false positives.

He had a headache and tested positive. And felt better right after. Might very well be fake positive and by chance had a headache.

Im not doubting this whole reinfection thingy but I believe we are missing facts. We are going through a change of weather now which causes colds. People get a cold and they think it's reinfection. They confirm it via pcr which is possibly false.

My main problem with this reinfection thing is how come the NYT hasn't picked it up? They only found one guy in Nevada out of the who US.
It’s almost impossible to “prove” a reinfection, but they’ll be coming soon. What is your source that the PCR tests have a large number of false positives? They are *very* accurate if from a reputable company (99.5+%)

If anything, it’s more likely to be a false negative.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2020, 11:31:08 PM »
DW and I recently retook antibody tests. Unlike the previous antibody tests we took which just gave a binary result, the current test gave an IgG reading.  DW was over the threshold, while my number was just beneath.

I am seriously considering to seek deliberate reinfection in order to boost my IgG antibodies (and possibly get other benefits), I just need to work out the proper timing (and find someone to give it to me).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2020, 11:35:45 PM »
DW and I recently retook antibody tests. Unlike the previous antibody tests we took which just gave a binary result, the current test gave an IgG reading.  DW was over the threshold, while my number was just beneath.

I am seriously considering to seek deliberate reinfection in order to boost my IgG antibodies (and possibly get other benefits), I just need to work out the proper timing (and find someone to give it to me).
And finally you see why @aygart doesn't recommend immunity bracelets.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2020, 11:39:44 PM »
It’s almost impossible to “prove” a reinfection, but they’ll be coming soon. What is your source that the PCR tests have a large number of false positives? They are *very* accurate if from a reputable company (99.5+%)

If anything, it’s more likely to be a false negative.
As I wrote im familiar with actual false positives. While the test is extremely sensitive and I've read that it may pick up viruses which are similar to covid or old dead covid etc it's also very possible that the false positives are a result from human errors in the lab or dr office mixing up tests and names etc.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2020, 11:42:09 PM »
That's for a simple reason. Most reinfections can be explained as relapses. There are very few documented reinfections, which are cases where the genome was documented to be different, ruling out a relapse.

This is exactly my point. Since most cases we know as reinfection might as well be relapses. Hence why I said that the cases is missing all needed facts to "confirm" a reinfection.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2020, 11:43:58 PM »
As I wrote im familiar with actual false positives. While the test is extremely sensitive and I've read that it may pick up viruses which are similar to covid or old dead covid etc it's also very possible that the false positives are a result from human errors in the lab or dr office mixing up tests and names etc.
Those aren’t false positives. It very rarely pick up other viruses, hence they are called 99.5% specific. If it picks up old COVID that wouldn’t be a false positive, it would mean you had COVID at some point. The administrative errors you may have experienced are also not false positives, and they have nothing to do with COVID. That is a facility specific problem, as it would be in the case of strep or any other test occurred.

Why would you assume something is a false positive? Again, false negatives are far more likely to occur than false positives.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2020, 11:48:01 PM »
This is exactly my point. Since most cases we know as reinfection might as well be relapses. Hence why I said that the cases is missing all needed facts to "confirm" a reinfection.
There weren’t any recorded cases of tests picking up old virus particles months later, only 6-10 weeks later. It’s more likely that there would be reinfections after 6 months (which was always suspected) than that there would be old virus picked up at that point (which would be surprising).

Of course, as I said, nothing is “proven” until the genome of each infection is checked. Since nobody in our community had the particles checked in a lab the first time, it’s unlikely we’ll see any “confirmed“ reinfections any time soon. But what makes you so confident that means what you think it means, not what the doctors think it means?

I’m going to take a flyer here. Were you “sure” we had herd immunity just 4 weeks ago?

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2020, 12:28:14 AM »
Those aren’t false positives. It very rarely pick up other viruses, hence they are called 99.5% specific. If it picks up old COVID that wouldn’t be a false positive, it would mean you had COVID at some point. The administrative errors you may have experienced are also not false positives, and they have nothing to do with COVID. That is a facility specific problem, as it would be in the case of strep or any other test occurred.

Why would you assume something is a false positive? Again, false negatives are far more likely to occur than false positives.
I didnt use false positive in a biological term, I used it as an overall name in cases where test results show positive does not mean reinfection.

I’m going to take a flyer here. Were you “sure” we had herd immunity just 4 weeks ago?
You did not see me talking about herd immunity. I did assume that we are not gonna go back to Pesach levels since a lot of people already had it.

As for the fact that we had a 3 month clean clean slate in brooklyn and all of the sudden it started spiking again (not reinfections - im talking about new cases) i can't find an explanation for this. Other than the fact that this virus is still very unknown.

The only explanation which I heard that makes a little sense is that its been discussed that some people have natural immunity / t-cells that protect against covid. It might have protected them from the original strain but now there is a new strain out there and their natural immunity does not protect them against this.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2020, 12:31:12 AM »
I didnt use false positive in a biological term, I used it as an overall name in cases where test results show positive does not mean reinfection.
You did not see me talking about herd immunity. I did assume that we are not gonna go back to Pesach levels since a lot of people already had it.

As for the fact that we had a 3 month clean clean slate in brooklyn and all of the sudden it started spiking again (not reinfections - im talking about new cases) i can't find an explanation for this. Other than the fact that this virus is still very unknown.

The only explanation which I heard that makes a little sense is that its been discussed that some people have natural immunity / t-cells that protect against covid. It might have protected them from the original strain but now there is a new strain out there and their natural immunity does not protect them against this.
The other explanation is that at least a few of the many baseless assumptions you used to form the prediction are wrong. The first place to check is there.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 05, 2020, 02:35:11 AM »
The other explanation is that at least a few of the many baseless assumptions you used to form the prediction are wrong. The first place to check is there.
Which baseless assumption are you talking about?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2020, 07:53:19 AM »
Which baseless assumption are you talking about?
I didn’t see you talking about anything, so I’m asking you. Did you believe we had herd immunity? Be honest, did you simply say “We’re not going to go back to Pesach levels” or did you think we had population herd immunity?

Just about every assumption you made.

Viruses come in waves, it takes time for new infections to spread in a community, doubling and doubling until they explode. This is not at all surprising to doctors.

There is zero evidence of any new strain out there.

There is no evidence of “natural immunity”, only evidence that some people did not get it when exposed to it once, and possibly some (temporary) cross-reactivity from other coronaviruses.

Online gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2020, 08:17:51 AM »
(and find someone to give it to me).
I hear 770 is beautiful this time of year.
You can always try simchas bais...

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2020, 08:32:14 AM »

For a self-proclaimed cynic, you seem awfully cool about rolling the dice a second time on a virus with a less than awesome track record in your age demographic. I mean, it's not like you have people relying on you if your gamble goes south...
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2020, 09:37:41 AM »
I hear 770 is beautiful this time of year.
You can always try simchas bais...

Unfortunately 770 isn't as crowded as it should be this time of year.
-- Dan

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2020, 09:49:43 AM »
For a self-proclaimed cynic, you seem awfully cool about rolling the dice a second time on a virus with a less than awesome track record in your age demographic. I mean, it's not like you have people relying on you if your gamble goes south...

"Rolling the dice"? "Less than awesome in your age demographic"?

What are you smoking?

Did you even pay attention to what I wrote?

Let's be clear: I had COVID-19 back in March with very mild symptoms (and the positive outcome of weight loss).

I currently HAVE antibodies, though the level on the test is just below what they define as POSITIVE.

My two adult sons, one of whom had loss of taste and smell and possibly slightly more severe symptoms than I had (it's hard to judge as everything is subjective) have very low antibody count.

I would like to get exposed/reinfected in order to be able to have an abbreviated quarantine upon arrival in EY, and in order to boost my IgG immunity.

If I get reinfected I plan to self-quarantine until clear.

What exactly am I risking?

And as for the age group, while some of my friends had more severe symptoms than I did, AFAIK those that did have other health issues.

My bout with the Flu exactly a year ago was more severe than my bout with COVID-19.
-- Dan

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2020, 10:01:16 AM »
"Rolling the dice"? "Less than awesome in your age demographic"?

What are you smoking?

Did you even pay attention to what I wrote?

Let's be clear: I had COVID-19 back in March with very mild symptoms (and the positive outcome of weight loss).

I currently HAVE antibodies, though the level on the test is just below what they define as POSITIVE.

My two adult sons, one of whom had loss of taste and smell and possibly slightly more severe symptoms than I had (it's hard to judge as everything is subjective) have very low antibody count.

I would like to get exposed/reinfected in order to be able to have an abbreviated quarantine upon arrival in EY, and in order to boost my IgG immunity.

If I get reinfected I plan to self-quarantine until clear.

What exactly am I risking?

And as for the age group, while some of my friends had more severe symptoms than I did, AFAIK those that did have other health issues.

My bout with the Flu exactly a year ago was more severe than my bout with COVID-19.
Can you guarantee that you'll get a low viral load? That's big factor in symptom severity.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2020, 11:25:01 AM »
Can you guarantee that you'll get a low viral load? That's big factor in symptom severity.

There's only one thing that guaranteed: Taxes!
-- Dan

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2020, 11:41:55 AM »
There's only one thing that guaranteed: Taxes!
And....

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2020, 11:44:12 AM »
-- Dan