Author Topic: COVID-19 Reinfection  (Read 48011 times)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 Reinfection
« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2020, 12:00:35 PM »

I would like to get exposed/reinfected in order to be able to have an abbreviated quarantine upon arrival in EY, and in order to boost my IgG immunity.

What exactly am I risking?

Losing the respect of DDFers.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #161 on: October 05, 2020, 12:02:27 PM »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 05, 2020, 12:07:06 PM »
Losing the respect of DDFers.
He’ll still get our prayers & sympathy emojis.

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2020, 12:34:39 PM »
"Rolling the dice"? "Less than awesome in your age demographic"?

What are you smoking?

Did you even pay attention to what I wrote?

Let's be clear: I had COVID-19 back in March with very mild symptoms (and the positive outcome of weight loss).

I currently HAVE antibodies, though the level on the test is just below what they define as POSITIVE.

My two adult sons, one of whom had loss of taste and smell and possibly slightly more severe symptoms than I had (it's hard to judge as everything is subjective) have very low antibody count.

I would like to get exposed/reinfected in order to be able to have an abbreviated quarantine upon arrival in EY, and in order to boost my IgG immunity.

If I get reinfected I plan to self-quarantine until clear.

What exactly am I risking?

And as for the age group, while some of my friends had more severe symptoms than I did, AFAIK those that did have other health issues.

My bout with the Flu exactly a year ago was more severe than my bout with COVID-19.

Hashkaficlly speaking, maybe last time you had the שמירה of שומר פתאים ה. You didn't do anything irresponsible, just going about your daily life. Not sure that that would apply when you are purposely infecting yourself. Sounds like we might be assuming that we have a whole lot more control of events than we actually have.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #164 on: October 05, 2020, 01:05:31 PM »
Hashkaficlly speaking, maybe last time you had the שמירה of שומר פתאים ה. You didn't do anything irresponsible, just going about your daily life. Not sure that that would apply when you are purposely infecting yourself. Sounds like we might be assuming that we have a whole lot more control of events than we actually have.
Not at all.

ממה נפשך: if we have knowledge/control, then having a high level of IgG antibodies, but just below the threshold to be considered positive for antibodies, and wanting to boost those, would lead me to wanting to be reinfected while the level is still relatively high, in order to maintain high levels. I look at this as my own vaccine booster shot.

And if we don't have any knowledge and/or control, then no-matter what I do I will either get it again or not (just like I got it the first time around despite being a lot more careful than anyone else around me. The big difference this time around would be that I would be attempting to get it deliberately, and be extra careful to isolate as to not give it to anyone who doesn't want it.
-- Dan

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2020, 07:52:14 PM »
I am seriously considering to seek deliberate reinfection in order to boost my IgG antibodies (and possibly get other benefits), I just need to work out the proper timing (and find someone to give it to me).
Did you get your LOR to weigh in?
What would I do if I never had it? As I said before, I don't know. Now that I've had it, I have 0 fear of catching it again, even if it will be accompanied by symptoms. Whether I would do it, might be a question to ask my LOR.
What would the tzad heter be for someone to catch it intentionally?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 05, 2020, 08:06:53 PM »
Did you get your LOR to weigh in?

Not yet. I might ask when if/when it becomes practical. Though based on how guidance has been issued, I would probably want to get a doctor's opinion first in order to ask the שאלה.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2020, 08:15:14 PM »
Not yet. I might ask when if/when it becomes practical. Though based on how guidance has been issued, I would probably want to get a doctor's opinion first in order to ask the שאלה.

This is a very big qualifying factor to the extent that the whole idea becomes mostly a theory. Either way it should illustrate how unwise immunity passports would be.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline 4yourinfo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2020, 12:15:59 AM »
DW and I recently retook antibody tests. Unlike the previous antibody tests we took which just gave a binary result, the current test gave an IgG reading.  DW was over the threshold, while my number was just beneath.

I am seriously considering to seek deliberate reinfection in order to boost my IgG antibodies (and possibly get other benefits), I just need to work out the proper timing (and find someone to give it to me).
I hope my theory doesn't end up killing Anyone - how about just not wear a mask שב ואל תעשה

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2020, 08:40:58 AM »
I hope my theory doesn't end up killing Anyone - how about just not wear a mask שב ואל תעשה
And how would that help or make any difference? (I don't wear a mask except where it's enforced).
-- Dan

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2020, 09:39:24 AM »
And how would that help or make any difference? (I don't wear a mask except where it's enforced).
This sounds like a terrible idea.

Just wear a mask like everyone else. My God.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2020, 11:04:47 AM »

I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2020, 03:37:04 PM »

Why? I'm not infecting anyone, nor do I fear infection (not that wearing a mask would protect me if I did fear infection). 
-- Dan

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2020, 03:41:33 PM »
Why? I'm not infecting anyone, nor do I fear infection (not that wearing a mask would protect me if I did fear infection).
So, your plan is to be exposed, and then what? Stay home for 14 days not knowing if you actually caught it?

Also, wouldn't the risk of ending up on a vent be enough to make you hesitant to go along with your plan?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2020, 04:42:51 PM »
So, your plan is to be exposed, and then what? Stay home for 14 days not knowing if you actually caught it?

Also, wouldn't the risk of ending up on a vent be enough to make you hesitant to go along with your plan?

Now you're asking about my plan, while before you were asking why I don't I just wear a mask "like everyone". Those are two totally separate questions.

Obviously staying isolated without knowing that I got it (and my antibodies rising) would be pointless.

I have no fear whatsoever of ending up on a ventilator.

You sound like someone that didn't have COVID-19 yet. I did, which is (part of) why I don't live in fear.
-- Dan

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2020, 04:48:05 PM »
Now you're asking about my plan, while before you were asking why I don't I just wear a mask "like everyone". Those are two totally separate questions.

Obviously staying isolated without knowing that I got it (and my antibodies rising) would be pointless.

You sound like someone that didn't have COVID-19 yet. I did, which is (part of) why I don't live in fear.
The problem with your plan is you could be contagious before you know you have it as you could be contagious before you teat positive, even with daily testing.

If you wear a mask and practice distancing between that and your existing anybody levels, odds are you don't get it.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 06, 2020, 05:03:33 PM »

I'm not saying I don't hear your line of reasoning (whether it's true or not that you will boost your antibody count is beyond my immunology knowledge) and it could very well be true.
I just don't get your arguments here at all. It's not at all clear to me that people who are careful are "living in fear" and are afraid of ending up on a ventilator.
Acknowledging the fact that it is possible that infection can lead to being on a ventilator- not sure why that means living in fear. And not sure what having had the virus before has anything to do with that. Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it's not statistically possible for someone else (or for you in case of reinfection for that matter).

For me, the biggest fear is being a link in an infection chain which is responsible for killing someone. That to me is frightening. I have no idea why having had COVID before would make any difference for that fear.
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2020, 05:22:44 PM »
I'm not saying I don't hear your line of reasoning (whether it's true or not that you will boost your antibody count is beyond my immunology knowledge) and it could very well be true.
I just don't get your arguments here at all. It's not at all clear to me that people who are careful are "living in fear" and are afraid of ending up on a ventilator.
Acknowledging the fact that it is possible that infection can lead to being on a ventilator- not sure why that means living in fear. And not sure what having had the virus before has anything to do with that. Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it's not statistically possible for someone else (or for you in case of reinfection for that matter).

For me, the biggest fear is being a link in an infection chain which is responsible for killing someone. That to me is frightening. I have no idea why having had COVID before would make any difference for that fear.

I agree with you that most people that are careful are probably not "living in fear", but the undertone that I sensed from @shaulyaakov's responses to my posts was one of fear, of which I have none.

As someone who has had COVID-19 with no difficulty breathing whatsoever, and has a realtively high level of antibodies (just a drop below the threshold to be considered "positive" for antibodies) I really don't see a real risk to me of ending up on a ventilator. I think I'm quite transparent with my experiences and feelings, why would such a risk even be introduced to the discussion?

And I fully agree that the fact that I have (virtually) no risk of ending up on a ventilator means nothing to other, which is why I specifically wrote:

If I get reinfected I plan to self-quarantine until clear.

That might not have been explicit enough. Let me be clear (though I haven't worked out the logistics, which is part of why it hasn't happened yet) my plan is to ISOLATE and get tested while isolated with the assumption that I have it. Under no circumstance would I want to put anyone else at risk.
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2020, 05:26:13 PM »

And you sound like a teenage gangbanger who beat a rap once and now thinks he's invincible.

the fact that I have (virtually) no risk of ending up on a ventilator

What do you know about reinfection that makes this a fact?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2020, 05:47:47 PM »
I don't fear ending up on a ventilator, but I'm not dumb enough to test it.