Author Topic: COVID-19 Reinfection  (Read 48054 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
Re: COVID-19 Reinfection
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2020, 06:17:56 PM »
And you sound like a teenage gangbanger who beat a rap once and now thinks he's invincible.

What do you know about reinfection that makes this a fact?

Reinfection cases are extremely rare. Can you point to any that ended up on a ventilator? Of those (assuming you can find any) how many had double digit IgG antibodies verified recently?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2020, 07:03:15 PM »
Reinfection cases are extremely rare. Can you point to any that ended up on a ventilator? Of those (assuming you can find any) how many had double digit IgG antibodies verified recently?

They are rare in the sense that there have been few instances so far. The reason for that is there are few instances of a second exposure to the virus after a period of 6 months or more, which is usually how long it takes for the antibodies of coronaviruses to dissipate. The Jewish communities in Israel and NY/NJ are writing the book on this, and the anecdotal evidence suggests that reinfection is not rare at all. I don't know how many have been vented, and I don't know their ages, the severity of their first infections, the amounts of viral load they were exposed to the first or second times, and much else about them. Neither do you. Which brings me to my point.

You. Are. Rolling. The. Dice.

Everything about exposing yourself to intentionally get reinfected is a gamble. Do you know how exposed you were the first time? Do you know if you have any lung tissue scarring, any clotting, or any residual stress to your heart? Do you have any idea, or any control over, how much viral load you will be taking in the second time? Do you know if there were any contributing factors to your relatively light infection the first time? Do you know if there are any factors which can put you at greater risk now?

I'm not saying this ends badly. I'm saying you'd be writing the book. You'd literally be gambling your life. And this isn't Russian Roulette, with binary live or die options. There's a whole lot of ugliness in between.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2020, 07:23:28 PM »
They are rare in the sense that there have been few instances so far. The reason for that is there are few instances of a second exposure to the virus after a period of 6 months or more, which is usually how long it takes for the antibodies of coronaviruses to dissipate. The Jewish communities in Israel and NY/NJ are writing the book on this, and the anecdotal evidence suggests that reinfection is not rare at all. I don't know how many have been vented, and I don't know their ages, the severity of their first infections, the amounts of viral load they were exposed to the first or second times, and much else about them. Neither do you. Which brings me to my point.
Do you have any citations to back up what you are writing?
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2020, 08:09:01 PM »

You want citations to show that there is no data yet?

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »
I think it was PlatinumGuy who had posted this link, which shows the first 22 people whose re-infection could be confirmed.  16 recorded symptoms, and of those, 7 had symptoms that were worse the second time.  Three had mild symptoms the first time, serious symptoms the second time.
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/08/covid-19-reinfection-tracker/

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2020, 09:54:08 PM »
I think it was PlatinumGuy who had posted this link, which shows the first 22 people whose re-infection could be confirmed.  16 recorded symptoms, and of those, 7 had symptoms that were worse the second time.  Three had mild symptoms the first time, serious symptoms the second time.
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/08/covid-19-reinfection-tracker/

Fascinating! Of over 1,000,000 global cases we have 22 confirmed reinfections of which 4 are serious (and no data as to antibody levels in the interim).

If I were concerned about that level of prevalence I probably would avoid all prescribed medications (and definitely all vaccines 😉).
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2020, 09:58:53 PM »
You want citations to show that there is no data yet?

Fear of the unknown!
-- Dan

Offline etech0

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2020, 09:59:09 PM »
The problem with that is that many people who presumably had covid in March/April weren't tested since it was difficult and considered unnecessary. So that makes it harder to have confirmed reinfections at this point.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #188 on: October 06, 2020, 10:01:02 PM »
Fascinating! Of probably less than 10,000 global cases in which the genome was checked we have 22 confirmed reinfections with the genome checked again of which 4 are serious (despite the fact that very few of them live in locations that have been hit hard by the virus twice).

If I were concerned about that level of prevalence I probably would avoid all exposure.
FTFY
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2020, 10:03:39 PM »
I don't fear ending up on a ventilator, but I'm not dumb enough to test it.
If you're so worried, you would've been taking the same precautions every flu season.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 06, 2020, 10:04:30 PM »
The problem with that is that many people who presumably had covid in March/April weren't tested since it was difficult and considered unnecessary. So that makes it harder to have confirmed reinfections at this point.

Oh, I just remembered that I was NEVER tested for COVID-19, so I guess I wouldn't count as reinfection!
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #191 on: October 06, 2020, 10:04:51 PM »
If you're so worried, you would've been taking the same precautions every flu season.
You don't see the difference between them?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 06, 2020, 10:06:36 PM »
Fear of the unknown!

What does that have to do with the fact that you would be rolling the dice by intentionally reinfecting yourself? You're gambling, and the stakes are your health and your life. By all means, be fearless.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 06, 2020, 10:14:09 PM »
You're gambling, and the stakes are your health and your life. By all means, be fearless. Jaywalk!

FTFY (for context and reference. I'm a Brooklynite, that's part of my way of life).

(I don't think that is the case, but maybe the fact that I have ample Life and Disability insurance, not making the remote possibility of something happening to me a financial concern, is affecting my attitude).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:18:23 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 06, 2020, 10:21:30 PM »
Fascinating! Of over 1,000,000 global cases we have 22 confirmed reinfections of which 4 are serious (and no data as to antibody levels in the interim).

If I were concerned about that level of prevalence I probably would avoid all prescribed medications (and definitely all vaccines 😉).
This tells us nothing about the level of eventual prevalence, which we'll know only as more months pass.  It's just the first cases that can be confirmed as reinfections, so it's the only hint we have as to what reinfections will eventually look like.  Of 16 cases in which symptoms were recorded for both first and second infections, 44% (7) had a worse case the second time around.  So there's no reason to assume that you would recover as easily the second time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 06, 2020, 10:22:07 PM »
FTFY (for context and reference. I'm a Brooklynite, that's part of my way of life).

(I don't think that is the case, but maybe the fact that I have ample Life and Disability insurance, not making the remote possibility of something happening to me a financial concern, is affecting my attitude).

Yea, this isn't jaywalking. And if insurance and finances are affecting your attitude more than your kids and (future) grandkids, we're operating on completely different wavelengths.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 06, 2020, 10:26:41 PM »

Would it be an emotional concern, for your family?  Or do they just value you for your financial contributions?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #197 on: October 06, 2020, 10:30:35 PM »
This tells us nothing about the level of eventual prevalence, which we'll know only as more months pass.  It's just the first cases that can be confirmed as reinfections, so it's the only hint we have as to what reinfections will eventually look like.  Of 16 cases in which symptoms were recorded for both first and second infections, 44% (7) had a worse case the second time around.  So there's no reason to assume that you would recover as easily the second time.
I would guess that in order to forecast severity of a rejection one would need to know the reason for the severity of the first infection in that individual. Was it due to something in their biology? If yes, does that still apply? If it was something environmental such as viral load, how would one replicate it?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 06, 2020, 10:31:18 PM »
Would it be an emotional concern, for your family?  Or do they just value you for your financial contributions?

I specifically said that I don't believe that the lack of financial concern has any effect, but speculated that it might have some subconscious effect on my attitude. It's just one less thing to have concern over, definitely not what life is about.
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 06, 2020, 10:32:10 PM »
I would guess that in order to forecast severity of a rejection one would need to know the reason for the severity of the first infection in that individual. Was it due to something in their biology? If yes, does that still apply? If it was something environmental such as viral load, how would one replicate it?

And as I pointed out, it doesn't seem like there's any documentation of IgG levels in the reinfection cases prior to reinfection.
-- Dan