Author Topic: COVID-19 Reinfection  (Read 47894 times)

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 Reinfection
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2020, 01:15:32 PM »
I think there's an assumption by most that everyone in Lakewood or Brooklyn either had it, or is immune from it.
Add Monsey.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2020, 01:18:01 PM »
I think there's an assumption by most that everyone in Lakewood or Brooklyn either had it, or is immune from it.
Which is ridiculous considering the steady trickle of new infections even if they are not numerous enough to cause concern.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2020, 01:22:00 PM »
Which is ridiculous considering the steady trickle of new infections even if they are not numerous enough to cause concern.
But without masks and distancing, there's no way to curb an outbreak until it's too late.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2020, 01:23:54 PM »
But without masks and distancing, there's no way to curb an outbreak until it's too late.
But what about after "too late" has already come and gone?

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2020, 01:34:19 PM »

That fact that there's a steady trickle which is not turning into a flood with exponential growth actually does strongly insinuate that there is a large degree of herd immunity. Obviously, it's statistically nearly impossible that 100% of the population was previously exposed, but it seems that the majority was.

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2020, 01:35:07 PM »
Why do you think so? If there is evidence of significant community spread we can change things then.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2020, 01:37:38 PM »
That fact that there's a steady trickle which is not turning into a flood with exponential growth actually does strongly insinuate that there is a large degree of herd immunity. Obviously, it's statistically nearly impossible that 100% of the population was previously exposed, but it seems that the majority was.

What are the benefits of herd immunity?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2020, 01:37:48 PM »
I think more importantly than the majority (which may or may not be the case) the people most likely to get and/or spread the virus are presumably immune. Anyone who comes in contact with many people on a daily basis (i.e. retail workers) is probably immune.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2020, 02:18:45 PM »
I think more importantly than the majority (which may or may not be the case) the people most likely to get and/or spread the virus are presumably immune. Anyone who comes in contact with many people on a daily basis (i.e. retail workers) is probably immune.
I recommend against presumptions

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2020, 02:31:02 PM »
I recommend against presumptions
Without evidence either way, that's all we have to work with.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2020, 02:31:49 PM »
In 1 CH case, the person donated antibodies.  Had new symptoms after a wedding in which people came from out of the NY area.  Tested positive for covid.
His symptoms are milder than the first time around. 
But reinfection was NOT widespread throughout the wedding, so we can safely say that reinfections are extremely rare. 
It shouldn't lead to panic or despair, but people should continue to be careful and sensible.

Closed areas where people are exhaling forcefully ( shul- people speak the tefillah; gym - exercise makes you breathe harder,  etc)  are of the most dangerous places.  A person at risk, should try to avoid them, or try to mitigate the dangers by wearing a mask or staying outside if possible, for example.

In NY, we have some sort of herd immunity, because we haven't seen widespread new infections, and even among those who haven't already had it.
But to those making weddings:  all your guests who are coming from out of town should at least take covid tests before coming. 
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2020, 02:40:41 PM »

But reinfection was NOT widespread throughout the wedding, so we can safely say that reinfections are extremely rare. 

The big question is if this is from the first to have it wear off. If it wears off then there is a good chance it will wear off from others too with time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2020, 02:44:38 PM »
In NY, we have some sort of herd immunity

What are the benefits of herd immunity?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2020, 02:54:17 PM »

What is herd immunity?
Herd immunity (or community immunity) occurs when a high percentage of the community is immune to a disease (through vaccination and/or prior illness), making the spread of this disease from person to person unlikely. Even individuals not vaccinated (such as newborns and the immunocompromised) are offered some protection because the disease has little opportunity to spread within the community.
____

If enough people are immune to covid, there are not enough infected people in a crowd to pass it around.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2020, 03:05:12 PM »
Hopefully herd immunity will at least slow the infection when it resurfaces in the community, enough that the elderly will have enough time to go back inside. Last time it exploded. Hopefully immunity will slow it from being an explosion.

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2020, 03:09:04 PM »

The big question is if this is from the first to have it wear off. If it wears off then there is a good chance it will wear off from others too with time.
yup.
Scared me when I first heard that reinfection was real.
At this point, I still think reinfection is rare, but I would avoid hanging out with  potentially infected people.   (Like my brother coming in for our niece's wedding) Unless they've had a covid test.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2020, 03:10:28 PM »

What is herd immunity?
Herd immunity (or community immunity) occurs when a high percentage of the community is immune to a disease (through vaccination and/or prior illness), making the spread of this disease from person to person unlikely. Even individuals not vaccinated (such as newborns and the immunocompromised) are offered some protection because the disease has little opportunity to spread within the community.
____

If enough people are immune to covid, there are not enough infected people in a crowd to pass it around.

A) People are still getting infected.
B) If immunity runs out in 3-12 months, as we are beginning to see and as is theorized based on the behavior of other coronaviruses, then the herd immunity cannot be relied on.

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2020, 03:12:48 PM »
In NY, it's not hard to take an anti body test every few weeks to make sure levels stay high enough to confer presumptive current immunity. I think it's covered by most insurance plans with no co pay. Most urgent cares ect will be happy for the free money. It's a 2 minute procedure.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2020, 03:16:26 PM »
In NY, it's not hard to take an anti body test every few weeks to make sure levels stay high enough to confer presumptive current immunity. I think it's covered by most insurance plans with no co pay. Most urgent cares ect will be happy for the free money. It's a 2 minute procedure.

I haven't seen that anyone has determined a level at which antibodies are considered high enough to confer immunity.

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2020, 03:20:47 PM »
I haven't seen that anyone has determined a level at which antibodies are considered high enough to confer immunity.

At the levels at which you are considered positive for antibodies. Below a certain level, you get a negative result. The CDC has admitted that there is temporary immunity conferred by infection and indicated by presence of antibodies, if I'm not mistaken. At this point, I believe there is nobody who got reinfected without losing their antibodies first.