Author Topic: COVID-19 Reinfection  (Read 47820 times)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: COVID-19 Reinfection
« Reply #400 on: May 23, 2022, 08:35:35 AM »
10 days for Omicron? Source?
Yes, refers to whatever variant one gets today.  Omicron may be more like "just the flu", but most people vastly prefer not getting the flu and not having a kid sick at home with it.

Source: the article I posted last week, which is based on CDC recommendations:
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/how-long-are-you-contagious-with-covid-and-how-soon-could-symptoms-start-heres-what-to-know/2817032/

What is the Incubation Period for COVID and How Long Are You Contagious?

"A person with COVID-19 is considered infectious starting two days before they develop symptoms, or two days before the date of their positive test if they do not have symptoms," according to the CDC.

Regardless of symptoms, those who test positive are advised to take specific precautions for at least 10 days.

"Lets say somebody is diagnosed with COVID and they are in a setting during a time that they might be infectious, we know that with COVID, for the first five days you need to be isolated because you can definitely be spreading COVID at that point," Chicago Department of Public Health Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady said during a Facebook Live Tuesday. "And then you need to be out in day six-10 in that mask."

and later in the same article:

How do you end isolation?

You can end isolation after five full days if you are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication and your other symptoms have improved (Loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation​).

If you continue to have fever or your other symptoms have not improved after 5 days of isolation, you should wait to end your isolation until you are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication and your other symptoms have improved. Continue to wear a well-fitting mask through day 10. Contact your healthcare provider if you have questions.

Do not go to places where you are unable to wear a mask, such as restaurants and some gyms, and avoid eating around others at home and at work until a full 10 days after your first day of symptoms.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 23, 2022, 08:38:45 AM »
Thanks Bio, I wasn’t aware of this at all.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 23, 2022, 08:39:42 AM »
Cloth mask enough? Or KN95?
KN95 stops about 95% of viral particles, so is better than a cloth mask which stops about 20%. 
The standard, cheaper blue medical/surgical mask is also good.
If it tends to slip off the nose, make a knot in the ear loops to shorten them slightly, and it should stay on.

Cloth mask is better than nothing, if that's the only thing one is able to wear.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 23, 2022, 08:48:06 AM »
Thanks Bio, I wasn’t aware of this at all.
If it's going around your neighborhood, you may want to make others aware of best practices, especially in your kids schools or day care, if that's relevant.

Most people are not aware.  Or don't care.  IDK which.  I'm not judging.  At least not out loud.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 23, 2022, 09:18:14 AM »
If it's going around your neighborhood, you may want to make others aware of best practices, especially in your kids schools or day care, if that's relevant.

Most people are not aware.  Or don't care.  IDK which.  I'm not judging.  At least not out loud.

There’s more to it than “not aware or don’t care”. There’s fatigue, community pressure, lack of leadership, constantly changing situation and guidance, politics, inconsistent government policies, local doctors downplaying things, etc. etc.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #406 on: May 23, 2022, 10:34:26 AM »
Or don't care.

This. At this point most people don't see it any different than the flu or any other virus. They don't wear masks for those either.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #407 on: June 01, 2022, 05:43:32 PM »
Decent odds it was a false negative.

I don't know what it was back then, but after feeling somewhat better for a while, I got various symptoms this week. Took a home COVID-19 test which came back negative. Went to the Dr. today thinking that it might be strep, COVID-19 test came back positive. Out of curiosity I asked to have my antibody levels tested.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan