Author Topic: Campus Chabad House Torched  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline ah giten

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Campus Chabad House Torched
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 04:29:03 PM »
Go fund me?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 04:32:50 PM »
Go fund me?

Not yet. IINM the damage was bad enough that they may need to start fresh. You can donate direct: https://www.chabadde.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/3102968

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 05:06:47 PM »
Not to undermine the value of tzedaka, I always wondered how insurance works in cases like these, do they not cover anything?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 06:43:05 PM »
Not to undermine the value of tzedaka, I always wondered how insurance works in cases like these, do they not cover anything?

Depends on the individual situation, but even if they do cover anything, it's a long and complicated process until you see any money.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 06:45:26 PM »
Depends on the individual situation, but even if they do cover anything, it's a long and complicated process until you see any money.
Are you saying "even if they do" as in they usually wouldn't?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 06:55:14 PM »
Are you saying "even if they do" as in they usually wouldn't?

I'm saying that every case is different, depending on the state, the insurance company, the insurance policy, the specifics of each case .  And even when insurance does pay, it's never right away. There are always investigations and appraisals and paperwork and hoops galore until you see a penny.

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 07:00:32 PM »
I'm saying that every case is different, depending on the state, the insurance company, the insurance policy, the specifics of each case .  And even when insurance does pay, it's never right away. There are always investigations and appraisals and paperwork and hoops galore until you see a penny.

People should know to ask their insurance broker for a policy that pays easily, its very important.
If you own a business it can literally mean survival after a catastrophic incident.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 07:03:48 PM »
People should know to ask their insurance broker for a policy that pays easily, its very important.
If you own a business it can literally mean survival after a catastrophic incident.

100%. Same goes for Homeowners Insurance. It sounds kind of shady when I ask a broker if the company pays out easily, but I'm not interested in saving $2k a year to not get covered when I need it.

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 07:06:19 PM »
100%. Same goes for Homeowners Insurance. It sounds kind of shady when I ask a broker if the company pays out easily, but I'm not interested in saving $2k a year to not get covered when I need it.
Could not agree more, insurance is for comfort and security in time of loss, if there isn't the mentioned then Y.

Renters insurance is also a subject, its so cheap yet so many fail to buy it.

In general  I feel brokers do not have patience dealing with all these small policies but it's important for people to make sure they have the coverage they need.

Offline Berenstein Bear

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 09:59:01 PM »
Sorry to take keep this thread off-topic, but you mentioned renters insurance. Will renters insurance cover if it's an illegal apartment- basement? My landlord wants us to have it, but I can't imagine the insurance would come through in case of fire etc.. if our apartment isn't legal

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 10:26:10 PM »
Sorry to take keep this thread off-topic, but you mentioned renters insurance. Will renters insurance cover if it's an illegal apartment- basement? My landlord wants us to have it, but I can't imagine the insurance would come through in case of fire etc.. if our apartment isn't legal

Consult with your broker.
I'm not an expert but I'm guessing there will be an argument in case of loss as follows, was the illegality the cause of loss and why did the insurance accept payment if they wont cover a loss.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2020, 07:42:32 AM »
Some of their students started a small GoFundMe as a starter to the larger campaign that will be announced soon:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/donate-to-chabad-ud?utm_source=whatsapp-visit&utm_medium=chat&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet

This campaign is being run by the students of Chabad, it is the least we can do to kickstart the larger campaign that will be rolled out shortly. Please consider donating whatever you can to help contribute to fixing the damages caused by the fire.  The little blue house, which we students called home, will be missed, but it is time to give back and rebuild what we have lost.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 07:53:46 AM »
Update: they've determined it was definitely arson, but there were no cameras in the immediate vicinity. Investigation is ongoing.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 11:27:34 AM »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:46:02 PM by Lurker »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile

Offline Lurker

• View Profile

Offline Lurker

• View Profile

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 09:30:33 PM »
Thursday night, the Chabad House in Wilmington, DE was targeted by an arsonist. BH a shliach found the fire and was able to put it out before any real damage was caused.