Author Topic: The Great American Road Trip, by PBaruch & Family (August 2020)  (Read 11176 times)

Offline Definitions

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: The Great American Road Trip, by PBaruch & Family (August 2020)
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 10:41:34 PM »
I'm surprised that RVs are not more popular with frum folks as it largely solves the problem of storing kosher food for an extended period of time.  I think once you try it you will be hooked.
Rvs are expensive. I guess it depends on multiple factors if it's worth it
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 10:44:35 PM »
Rvs are expensive. I guess it depends on multiple factors if it's worth it

$75.00 a day is expensive?
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 10:45:29 PM »
I'm surprised that RVs are not more popular with frum folks as it largely solves the problem of storing kosher food for an extended period of time.  I think once you try it you will be hooked.
I think it may have to do with the fact that RV companies don't have loyalty points or credit cards like airlines and hotels do.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2020, 10:48:27 PM »
$75.00 a day is expensive?
I thought you were referring to RVs in general.

Yes getting these one way rv deals is worth it if it's a good route.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2020, 10:53:15 PM »
I thought you were referring to RVs in general.

Yes getting these one way rv deals is worth it if it's a good route.

You can get good deals even without looking for 1 way rentals, although those can be insanely cheap.  We paid approximately $630 for the week long rental for our Death Valley trip, or about $90 per night.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2020, 10:56:48 PM »
there sre far better solutions such as all suites hotels.
Renting an RV is a fairly expensive proposition unless your super flexible with where you'll leave from and are willing to fly out to get it.
In New England, a large class C will run about $200 a night and the space is lousy.
It's still on our bucket list but more as an adventure and not for creature comforts. A 2 bedroom suite (which usually manage to get) provides far better accomodations and kitchen space than an RV.

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2020, 10:59:26 PM »
Renting an RV is a fairly expensive proposition unless your super flexible with where you'll leave from and are willing to fly out to get it.
In New England, a large class C will run about $200 a night and the space is lousy.
It's still on our bucket list but more as an adventure and not for creature comforts. A 2 bedroom suite (which usually manage to get) provides far better accomodations and kitchen space than an RV.

You're comparing apples to oranges.  The whole point of an RV trip is to get out in nature and have the flexibility to move around on a whim. 

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2020, 11:03:54 PM »
You're comparing apples to oranges.  The whole point of an RV trip is to get out in nature and have the flexibility to move around on a whim.
then what does that have to do with solving the kosher travelers food storage issues? Like I said , it's a great adventure (though I'm planning a multi day kayak/raft excursion for next summer first) but there are better ways to solve creature comforts than an RV. Having spent some time in a stationary travel trailer which is more spacious than comparable size RVs, the space and privacy is horrible if you have 5/6 kids and a baby who needs a dark quiet room to sleep in

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2020, 11:07:37 PM »
then what does that have to do with solving the kosher travelers food storage issues? Like I said , it's a great adventure (though I'm planning a multi day kayak/raft excursion for next summer first) but there are better ways to solve creature comforts than an RV. Having spent some time in a stationary travel trailer which is more spacious than comparable size RVs, the space and privacy is horrible if you have 5/6 kids and a baby who needs a dark quiet room to sleep in

It solves the kosher food problem when traveling because you have a fridge and freezer, can stock up on kosher food at the beginning of a trip or wherever you can find it, and then not worry about kosher food for an extended period of time.  We often travel in places where there is no access to kosher meat or cheese. 

Online EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2020, 11:20:11 PM »
Exactly this is rather the reason why RV's aren't so popular with frum folks. Your average frum guy will rather look for a nice resort than covering half of a continent in a week with a RV. That's why your TR are standouts :)

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2020, 11:57:02 PM »
Exactly this is rather the reason why RV's aren't so popular with frum folks. Your average frum guy will rather look for a nice resort than covering half of a continent in a week with a RV. That's why your TR are standouts :)

Good point, lol. 

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 06:56:53 AM »
Depending how far apart your hotels are, it may be difficult to keep frozen foods frozen while on the road.  This can be a problem if you've brought along two weeks worth of meat, for example.  Additionally, any kashering you do only has to get done once in an RV.  That said, there is absolutely an upper limit for how many kids you can take along comfortably in an RV.
44/50, 46/63

Offline ponash123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2020, 11:07:36 AM »
Amazing TR, thank you!

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 03:49:18 PM »
Another amazing trip and equally well-done TR - thanks! We also love taking family trips in the US and visiting national parks, so I especially enjoy gleaning travel ideas from your TRs. This summer we were in northern MN and WI among other places and got some great ideas from your TR. Unfortunately Isle Royale was closed unless you wanted to pay $300pp to fly in, and houseboats in Voyageurs were all booked up, but we still had a great time.

Even though we've been to most of the places in this TR, we've always wanted to try an RV but have found the logistics daunting (it also helps that we have tons of hotel points so almost never pay for lodging), so I'd love some pointers about how to feel secure enough to go ahead with it. Specifically:

Are there any websites or generally good strategies to use to find good deals on RVs, whether 1-way or just cheap rates?
Are there specific RV rental companies that are more reliable, and any to avoid?
Are there any that include unlimited miles as is standard with car rentals?
In hindsight, were there any red flags you missed or questions you wish you had asked to avoid getting an RV Poopypants? :)
Any tips about how to find good places to stay each night?
Did you have prior RV experience, and any advice about how to handle unique RV issues like emptying tanks, leveling, etc., to ensure a successful first experience?

Offline PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2020, 04:45:08 PM »
Another amazing trip and equally well-done TR - thanks! We also love taking family trips in the US and visiting national parks, so I especially enjoy gleaning travel ideas from your TRs. This summer we were in northern MN and WI among other places and got some great ideas from your TR. Unfortunately Isle Royale was closed unless you wanted to pay $300pp to fly in, and houseboats in Voyageurs were all booked up, but we still had a great time.

Even though we've been to most of the places in this TR, we've always wanted to try an RV but have found the logistics daunting (it also helps that we have tons of hotel points so almost never pay for lodging), so I'd love some pointers about how to feel secure enough to go ahead with it. Specifically:

Are there any websites or generally good strategies to use to find good deals on RVs, whether 1-way or just cheap rates?
Are there specific RV rental companies that are more reliable, and any to avoid?
Are there any that include unlimited miles as is standard with car rentals?
In hindsight, were there any red flags you missed or questions you wish you had asked to avoid getting an RV Poopypants? :)
Any tips about how to find good places to stay each night?
Did you have prior RV experience, and any advice about how to handle unique RV issues like emptying tanks, leveling, etc., to ensure a successful first experience?

1. I would check with each RV rental company to see if they have any specials.  Here is a partial list:

El Monte 1-way specials
https://www.elmonterv.com/rv-rental/cool-deal-detail/ONE-WAY-SPECIAL/

Great Alaskan Holidays
https://www.greatalaskanholidays.com/alaska-rv-rentals/specials/

Cruise America
https://www.cruiseamerica.com/

Apollo RV
https://www.apollorv.com/reloc.aspx

Road Bear RV
http://www.roadbearrv.com/en/rental-deals
http://www.roadbearrv.com/en/rental-deals/one-way-specials

https://www.imoova.com/

https://www.transfercarus.com/

2.  We have rented from El Monte, Apollo and Great Alaskan, as best as I can recall.  I do not know if there are any to avoid.  We have always had some issues with the rentals but I wouldn't characterize the issues we had as a reason to avoid that company in the future.  @Something Fishy once mentioned reading negative things about Apollo but we did not have any issues when renting from them and, at the time, they were one of the cheapest.

3. I think there are some that do include unlimited miles for an added fee, but you would have to check with each rental company.  Generally, it is not an option.

4. No red flags that I can specifically point out.  All I can say is that I have learned to check all of the major systems of the RV before you take off.  Make sure the AC, generator and refrigerator work.  Check to see that the outlets work.  Make sure the shower and sink work.  Turn on the stove and ovens.  It pays to spend a few extra minutes before you leave to make sure everything works rather than realizing later on and having to call the RV company and try to diagnose the problem.  With this particular 1 way rental, the RV was definitely beat up a lot more than any other rental we had in the past - but then again it was $75 a night.  Other 1-way rentals can be brand spanking new RVs that need to be relocated from the factory to the rental company - so you can really luck out there.

5. We like KOA campgrounds as they are a chain and are fairly consistent throughout.  We have also found other non chain campgrounds that we liked very much.  I'd suggest doing some research about the locations you want to visit.  National parks have some really nice campgrounds but those are often without any hookups.  You can also camp on BLM land for free but again, no hookups.  Info can be found here:  https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/camping.  Another option is to camp at farms, vineyards and breweries by purchasing a membership here:  https://harvesthosts.com/.  The cost is $79 or $119 per year.  Finally, if you are on the road and want a free place to stay for the night, most Walmarts allow you to stay overnight in the parking lot.  This list is by no means exhaustive. 

6.  We started renting RVs without any prior experience - just jumped right in.  The rental company will show you a video before you take off, which will contain a number of useful tips.  There are also many videos on YouTube that you can watch, to learn the basics.  Emptying tanks is not hard at all.  It's not a pleasant job but I don't understand why people make such a big fuss about it.  Likewise, leveling isn't a big deal.  Most RVs you rent do not have auto leveling.  The rental company provides you with one of those bubble levels.  Once you know which side needs to be adjusted, you drive the RV onto one of those small ramps that you are provided with.  I am sure it will be a little daunting your first time out, but once you get the hang of it everything will be fine and you will have a great time.

I hope I answered all of your questions.  If I missed anything, please let me know.

Offline CRACKERJACK

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2020, 01:53:20 PM »
mods please put that in an rv thread wiki

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2020, 10:36:00 PM »
Awesome TR! Thanks for all the time and effort you put into writing it!