Author Topic: So shoot me  (Read 4563 times)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
So shoot me
« on: September 08, 2020, 12:45:05 PM »
I changed my mind, but wear a mask
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 12:49:40 PM by chevron »

Offline Sammy82

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: So shoot me
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 12:52:23 PM »
Agree with everything you said more or less. Just wondering, isn't the point of a mask for when you can't or likely can't social distance? That's where I see an issue. If the closest person is 100 feet away, WTH should I wear a mask? If I'm in a shul that safely provides 6ft between people and I know I will keep to it, so why should I have to wear a mask? Obviously if it's a shul that isn't social distancing, then that's a different story.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 12:53:59 PM »

Almao!!! You're a legend, dude.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 12:59:24 PM »
Agree with everything you said more or less. Just wondering, isn't the point of a mask for when you can't or likely can't social distance? That's where I see an issue. If the closest person is 100 feet away, WTH should I wear a mask? If I'm in a shul that safely provides 6ft between people and I know I will keep to it, so why should I have to wear a mask? Obviously if it's a shul that isn't social distancing, then that's a different story.

It's a bit of both. We discussed viral loads, i.e. if 100 people singing and 5 are infected, the viral load causes the other 95 to possibly be infected.

Hence masks, proper ventilation etc lower capacity and the like

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 01:01:42 PM »

A few reasons.
1) While 6 feet is generally used, many studies have shown that droplets travel much farther when one coughs or sneezes.
2) IINM, 6 feet is for outdoors. Indoors, aerosolized particles remain in the air for long periods of time and can move around the room with help of fans or HVAC.
3) Social distancing doesn't stop the particles from settling on surfaces. Unless those surfaces are cleaned regularly between people using them, a mask is the best way to keep those surfaces from becoming contaminated.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 03:43:13 PM »

Changed your mind regarding what, your opinion re covid?

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 04:04:44 PM »
Changed your mind regarding what, your opinion re covid?

No I changed my mind about the whole post.   Haha it was a piece of work!

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 01:52:17 AM »
Don't know what he said but virus particles can linger in the air indoors for a long time if you aren't wearing a mask, and one can get infected even 6 feet or more away from others.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 05:26:50 PM »
Don't know what he said but virus particles can linger in the air indoors for a long time if you aren't wearing a mask, and one can get infected even 6 feet or more away from others.

What about riding a bicycle outdoors? Is the risk of contracting or spreading COVID-19 greater than head injury risk, to justify the practice of wearing a face mask while riding a bicycle without a helmet?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 07:33:02 PM »
What about riding a bicycle outdoors? Is the risk of contracting or spreading COVID-19 greater than head injury risk, to justify the practice of wearing a face mask while riding a bicycle without a helmet?
:) I see it alot all over BOS

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 08:18:34 PM »
:) I see it alot all over BOS

It's probably very common in all "progressive" and "liberal" areas.
-- Dan

Offline biscotti

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 08:41:41 PM »

1) People should wear helmets while bike riding. Pointing out that a person is doing one thing wrong doesn't mean they are also wrong for doing another thing.

2) You're equating two different types of risk - risk to yourself (head injury) and potentially exponential risk to others (COVID-19). As another example, there's no hypocrisy in thinking its ok for you juggle flaming hammers and knives in your backyard (high risk of injury) while also not wanting you to knock over a line of people at the grocery store like dominoes (much lower risk of harm).

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 08:54:21 PM »
1) People should wear helmets while bike riding. Pointing out that a person is doing one thing wrong doesn't mean they are also wrong for doing another thing.

2) You're equating two different types of risk - risk to yourself (head injury) and potentially exponential risk to others (COVID-19). As another example, there's no hypocrisy in thinking its ok for you juggle flaming hammers and knives in your backyard (high risk of injury) while also not wanting you to knock over a line of people at the grocery store like dominoes (much lower risk of harm).

Plz dont juggle flaming whatever we had enough with wildfires

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 10:18:55 PM »
potentially exponential risk to others
What is your source for this while outdoors?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline biscotti

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 10:39:08 PM »
What is your source for this while outdoors?

I don't wear a mask (and do wear a helmet) while biking, assuming there aren't many people around. So I don't have a source, because I think it's probably fine.

Comment was only intended to explain the problems with the bizarre claim above, which used somebody's failure to wear a helmet as some sort of evidence that wearing a mask in those situations is wrong/hypocritical. The two types of risk are apples and oranges in terms of (i) who is being placed at risk - you or others (ii) degree of risk and (iii) potential ripple effects of that risk. Even if the risk of transmitting in this situation is minuscule, it's not hypocritical (some may reasonably even say it's admirable) to take precautions that serve to eliminate even a small risk to others that has a ripple effect. Definitely stupid not to wear a helmet though. 

But anyway, I'm driving this thread way off the rails... stay safe and stay considerate, everybody.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 12:16:17 AM »
Comment was only intended to explain the problems with the bizarre claim above, which used somebody's failure to wear a helmet as some sort of evidence that wearing a mask in those situations is wrong/hypocritical. The two types of risk are apples and oranges in terms of (i) who is being placed at risk - you or others (ii) degree of risk and (iii) potential ripple effects of that risk. Even if the risk of transmitting in this situation is minuscule, it's not hypocritical (some may reasonably even say it's admirable) to take precautions that serve to eliminate even a small risk to others that has a ripple effect. Definitely stupid not to wear a helmet though.  .

Wow. Talk about putting words and meaning into someone else's mouth/comment.

The point implied (and somewhat clarified in my comment in response to @moko's comment) was that the mask wearing has absolutely nothing to do with safety or risk aversion for oneself or others. It is pure symbolism and a statement, totally devoid of any logical substance.
-- Dan

Offline biscotti

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 12:40:51 AM »
Wow. Talk about putting words and meaning into someone else's mouth/comment.

The point implied (and somewhat clarified in my comment in response to @moko's comment) was that the mask wearing has absolutely nothing to do with safety or risk aversion for oneself or others. It is pure symbolism and a statement, totally devoid of any logical substance.

yup, that's exactly what I thought you were implying, and it's illogical for the reasons I explained.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 12:47:43 AM »
Here's what I don't understand When everything started going crazy there were a lot of decisions that were made.

So they started making all these hospitals and all that and they tell people to stay home and everything and now supposedly because they didn't use all these hospitals and because when people didn't die then all this whole stay-at-home order and all those whole hospitals were overreacting..

This is called cognitive dissonance.

I'm sorry that you people fail to see the bigger picture, it's why this world is in the shits.

And then I don't understand the people who shrugged everything off, overloaded the hospitals and blamed them.

Now I'm supposed to support widows and orphan's

I got a fundraiser request from chesed shel emes who has the bury so many bodies and all that

Hatzala used up their supplies and had a major fundraiser

But the sages of chelm assure us that everything is ok.

nobody here is calling for blanket shutdowns oh we are saying is be responsible.

But a mask makes you uncomfortable boohoo..

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 12:49:45 AM »

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 09:54:33 AM »
yup, that's exactly what I thought you were implying, and it's illogical for the reasons I explained.
How so? If there is little risk from passing someone outdoors then how is it anything but symbolism?
Feelings don't care about your facts