Author Topic: ANA redemption on United  (Read 86037 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: ANA redemption on Continental
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2010, 06:32:37 PM »
Dan,

if im understanding you correctly, by tranferring my *points to US, i can use them to fly on any *A airline and avoid paying high taxes and fees.
Am i correct that:
Flying to TLV on any *A airline using US miles will cost me 75K in coach (60K starpoints) or 115K in business (95K starpoints) but much less fees.
Flying to TLV on any *A airline using ANA miles will cost me 60k in coach (50k starpoints) or 90k in business (75k starpoints) but alot more in fees.

So in summary, you are recommending US as a transfer from starpoints if i want the better availability of flight to israel which *A has and dont want to pay alot of fees?

If all of the above is correct, why would anyone transfer points to another airline and get stuck with all sorts of fees?
If you use less points (ANA) but pay $500 in fees and even if we value starpoints at 2.2 cents a piece, thats the equivalent of almost 23,000 starpoints! Making the total ~73K in points.
Instead use 10,000 more points (US), pay $100 in fees which is the equivalent of around 4500 starpoints and your total will be ~64K.

Sorry if i seem repetitive and confusing. Trying to book these tix to israel at a good rate is getting me quite confused. The above may be a totally different story if flying from NYC. I am researching booking from ORD...
You are correct if you are trying to fly on an airline to TLV that charges a fuel surcharge (which apparently ANA passes on, altough it's possible that there are some carriers for which ANA won't pass on the fuel surcharge)

But if you are trying to fly on CO or US to TLV then ANA seems to be the best bet.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »
You are correct if you are trying to fly on an airline to TLV that charges a fuel surcharge (which apparently ANA passes on, altough it's possible that there are some carriers for which ANA won't pass on the fuel surcharge)

But if you are trying to fly on CO or US to TLV then ANA seems to be the best bet.

You say that ANA is the best bet for CO or US because ANA wont charge me the fuel surcharge when i fly on them? When i look at continental flights from ORD to TLV on ITA matrix, there seems to be around $500 in fees including a fuel surcharge. Did you mean that US would be the best for flying to TLV on CO or US?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
You say that ANA is the best bet for CO or US because ANA wont charge me the fuel surcharge when i fly on them? When i look at continental flights from ORD to TLV on ITA matrix, there seems to be around $500 in fees including a fuel surcharge. Did you mean that US would be the best for flying to TLV on CO or US?
I meant exactly what I said.
Domestic airlines don't have fuel surcharges on award tickets.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mordys

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 11:26:51 PM »
Book a BusinessFirst reward?
90K via ANA.
what are the taxes and fuel surcharge with ANA?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 10:26:25 AM »
what are the taxes and fuel surcharge with ANA?
When I called them they told me they don't charge a fuel surcharge for travel on Continental.
EWR-TLV on CO or PHL-TLV on US would be 60K in coach or 90K in Business when using ANA miles.

SPG:ANA is 20K:25k and AMEX:ANA is 1:1.

Offline md

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2010, 10:54:40 AM »
When I called them they told me they don't charge a fuel surcharge for travel on Continental.
EWR-TLV on CO or PHL-TLV on US would be 60K in coach or 90K in Business when using ANA miles.

SPG:ANA is 20K:25k and AMEX:ANA is 1:1.
In general, how is their availability?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2010, 11:15:09 AM »
In general, how is their availability?
It will be the same as whatever Continental or USAirways offers.
You can also check Star alliance availability by logging in with an ANA mileage account here:
https://aswbe-i.ana.co.jp/p_per/sky_ip_per_en/preAwdSearchLogin.do

Offline Smirk

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 11:38:51 AM »
So if i have Amex points that i want to transfer to CO for 115k redemption on business it would be better to transfer to ANA for a 90k redmption?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 12:10:15 PM »
So if i have Amex points that i want to transfer to CO for 115k redemption on business it would be better to transfer to ANA for a 90k redmption?
That depends.

-Continental elites get expanded award availability.
-You should check on the exact tax amount from ANA and CO.
-ANA miles have a "hard" 36 month expiration limit.
-There is a 3,000 mile per passenger penalty for award redeposits, if the miles from the award would have expired in the meantime they can't be redeposited or used as the penalty amount.
-Departure date changes are free, but no changes are allowed for routing.
-ANA officially only allows you to redeem miles for certain relatives and they limit the number of people you can redeem for to 10.
-

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »
From another post, but it's worth mentioning in this thread for reference sake:
Quote from: Dan
Just called ANA.
They really did not want to figure out the taxes as I have no ANA miles in my account, but after some prodding ("I'm not transferring points from AMEX until I know the taxes") they said it was $79 for EWR-TLV on CO.

Directly from CO it's $43, but they also charge an expedite fee within 21 days and charge 75K miles instead of 60K miles with ANA.

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 03:13:22 PM »
As a reference point, I initiated a few transfers of SPG to ANA. The first on 4/2, the second on 4/4 and the third on 4/7 (because of the daily maximums) the first transfer already posted to my ANA account when I checked on 4/7 (it shows a transfer date of 4/2 on my ANA account, but it is hard to believe it was done same day) the rest still did not post.
I saw another reference of someone who intiated a few transfers in the middle of a calender month and the points all posted on the same day on the second of the next month. This might be an indication that ANA process their transfers on the 2nd of every month no matter when the transfer was intiated and if you time it right you can have points post within a few days.

Does anyone else have any more info to corroborate any of this?

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 10:42:18 AM »
As a reference point, I initiated a few transfers of SPG to ANA. The first on 4/2, the second on 4/4 and the third on 4/7 (because of the daily maximums) the first transfer already posted to my ANA account when I checked on 4/7 (it shows a transfer date of 4/2 on my ANA account, but it is hard to believe it was done same day) the rest still did not post.

Update, the 2nd and 3rd transfers initiated on 4/4 and 4/7 posted to my ANA account this morning. So they might do a sweep every weekend....

Offline mendelsl

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Continental flight through ANA
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2010, 11:47:25 PM »
I put a trip on hold with continental airlines, can I transfer the points to ANA and they continental will take those miles for the ticket?

or do i have to rebook the trip with ANA?

Thanks

Offline Monsey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Continental flight through ANA
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2010, 01:55:13 AM »
I put a trip on hold with continental airlines, can I transfer the points to ANA and they continental will take those miles for the ticket?

or do i have to rebook the trip with ANA?

Thanks
I dont know about continental in particular but most airlines can only book an award ticket using miles held by that airline so you would have to book it through ana. You can cancel the reservation that you put on hold, wait a couple of hours or till the next morning till the flight is back in the system and then book it through ana. In general its best to check award availability in the morning because reservations on hold which expire at midnight usually are back in the system at about 6 or 7 am (i was told so by a delta agent)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2010, 09:36:41 AM »
You'll have to rebook on ANA after the points are already transferred.

I got USAirways to hold an award ticket for a month, but most airlines won't do that.

In my experience mileage tickets either go back into award inventory immediately upon cancellation or they don't go back.  I'm not sure about any 6 hour cycle...

Offline yossik

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2010, 07:55:50 PM »
Can someone please post here the proper link for ANA, and guidance on how to reserve for the best rates to TLV?
Thanks

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2010, 05:34:45 PM »
Is it worth it to transfer to ANA for use on domestic *A flights.

I couldnt see the taxes/fees, but from ORD to JFK (or something like that would be 17,000 km round trip which is like 13,600 starpoints).

Granted, its not as great as LAN for domestic, but is it an alternative thats better than using 25k on a domestic flight when there is no availability on AA or AA doesnt fly that route?

Can anyone see, or does anyone know, what taxes and fees would be for ANA flying on CO (for example) within the USA?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
Is it worth it to transfer to ANA for use on domestic *A flights.

I couldnt see the taxes/fees, but from ORD to JFK (or something like that would be 17,000 km round trip which is like 13,600 starpoints).

Granted, its not as great as LAN for domestic, but is it an alternative thats better than using 25k on a domestic flight when there is no availability on AA or AA doesnt fly that route?

Can anyone see, or does anyone know, what taxes and fees would be for ANA flying on CO (for example) within the USA?
Mike, can you check on the taxes for ORD-LGA on UA(17K ANA) or CLE-YYZ on CO (14K ANA)?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2010, 06:10:26 PM »
There may be other good values, like IAH-HNL in BusinessFirst on CO for 68K ANA.

What else looks good?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:14:06 PM by Dan »

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2010, 07:39:58 PM »
Just called ANA...

From ORD to YOW would be 17,000 miles round trip. She said taxes and fees would be like $5 or $10!!! (Max $20) This was on United. I wonder what it would be if i was flying on Air Canada or something like that.

She also said it must be round trip (no one-ways).

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:03:00 PM by David »