Author Topic: ANA redemption on United  (Read 85838 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: ANA redemption on Continental
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »
From ORD to YOW would be 17,000 miles round trip. She said taxes and fees would be like $5 or $10!!! (Max $20) This was on United.
$5-$10 sound too low. UA charges $42.50 in taxes for a redemption on this route.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2010, 08:07:36 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2010, 08:18:04 PM »
$5-$10 sound too low. UA charges $42.50 in taxes for a redemption on this route.

CO also charges $42.50 sounds like the ANA agent didnt realize that YOW is up in Canada and didnt include all the fees and taxes for an Intl Flight

CO for their non-stop EWR-YOW takes 20k r/t but its 25k from ORD since its either on UA or via EWR. either way its all $42.50

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2010, 09:21:39 PM »
I want to get to Israel for sukkos, and would use 60k on ANA, but its only worth it (taxwise) if I can get on one of the US carriers. Problem is they don't show any availability on CO, United or US. I have heard it said that CO availability usually opens up closer to the time. Any info on how safe it is to wait for that???

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2010, 09:29:36 PM »
I want to get to Israel for sukkos, and would use 60k on ANA, but its only worth it (taxwise) if I can get on one of the US carriers. Problem is they don't show any availability on CO, United or US. I have heard it said that CO availability usually opens up closer to the time. Any info on how safe it is to wait for that???

depends on what dates you are looking to fly

IMO after YK and right after Succos ends to come back, most likely little to No chance. CO wont have any problem selling their flights at those times except for the flights flying on Shabbos or YT

Any other time of the year Id say if the flights were empty there would have been a good chance.This is for Coach, Biz is a different creature and CO would rather sell the BF seats to those willing to UPgrade using their miles and paying the co-pay ($$)

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2010, 09:37:12 PM »
So I don't know what to do, bec. with ANA anything other than US carriers its waay too much taxes, US carriers have no avail.
With Alitalia there is also alot of taxes...

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
Re: Continental flight through ANA
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »
http://www.ana.co.jp/asw/wws/us/e/

You have to sign up for an account to check avail.
With US carriers (Continental, US Airways, United) expect to pay $75 in fees, with any other carriers you are looking at $500! 

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »
So I don't know what to do, bec. with ANA anything other than US carriers its waay too much taxes, US carriers have no avail.
With Alitalia there is also alot of taxes...

U do realize you are looking to go during the Most sort after time period and from what I heard so far from numerous friends outside of the NY area its gonna be packed over there more so this yr then in many a yr recently

go before YK and return say after Weds 10/6 your chances will be better, if you cant then look and see what it costs to pay for a tkt and Im sure what ANA will charge you is alot less but alot more then the $47 that CO or US or DL will.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2010, 09:46:59 PM »
I am wondering, if I book on ANA using US from PHL to Frankfurt, then Lufthansa to TLV will I pay US fees, or Lufthansa? Or a little of each?

I am willing to go the week before but even that doesn't have any US carriers avail.

I know I'm waking up late!

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2010, 09:57:39 PM »
I am wondering, if I book on ANA using US from PHL to Frankfurt, then Lufthansa to TLV will I pay US fees, or Lufthansa? Or a little of each?

I am willing to go the week before but even that doesn't have any US carriers avail.

I usually didnt book my tkts till July-Aug but once I saw everyone asking about going over,I Jumped and grabbed a great combo on great dates.

as I said I think this yr is worse then most in the past since alot of people decided to head over, last yr was a pickins festival

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2010, 10:09:50 PM »

A little of each.  Mikeoracle tried this in another thread.

US has availability 09/14-10/06 by the way...

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2010, 10:17:09 PM »
A little of each.  Mikeoracle tried this in another thread.

US has availability 09/14-10/06 by the way...

just like I thought. since most people dont want to go for 3 weeks and be there over YK.

Coming back I imagine that Motzei Shabbos flights will be packed as its time for Y' tzias Yerushaliyim 10/2 . I used to love hanging by the Plaza and watch everyone run around like chickens w/o their heads, now its the DC more so. This usually is the for the next day as well and then it lessens up as most have left that came simply for YT

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2010, 10:20:39 PM »
There's Star Alliance availability every day.
This is where CO and US miles really shine.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2010, 10:27:15 PM »
There's Star Alliance availability every day.
This is where CO and US miles really shine.

I had trouble finding it for a 3rd friend who wanted to go over when we were, even on some days with those 12 hr layovers and getting in at 3am. But I was looking for smooth connections = NY-ZRH-TLV and not NY-ZRH-FRA-TLV and something that didnt get them in Erev YT

I guess its back to ANA for me
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:37:37 PM by steve2 »

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
 Dan youre Right I found on CO

9/19 10:15am - 11:33am EWR-IAD this is coach

5:47pm - 7:30am IAD-BRU

9/20  7pm - 11:20pm BRU-TLV  my friend said no way even if its Free

or 9/18 11:25pm-1:55pm EWR-WAW (LOT)

9/19 10:55pm- 2:35am WAW-TLV this is Biz again my friend wasnt interested and said hed rather buy atkt and fly without those crazy layovers

the only thing back was 10/4 5am-9am TLV-WAW

5:35pm-9pm WAW-EWR in coach

10/6 has alot of options but with 2 stops

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2010, 01:24:01 AM »
In case anyone else wants to find good routes:
ANA award chart

Great Circle mapper

ANA Award Availability (login required)

Wouldn't this also be a good choice for domestic tickets including several stops, ie DEN-YYZ-LGA-DEN (total 3292 flight miles) for 22,000 miles?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2010, 01:32:29 AM »
Wouldn't this also be a good choice for domestic tickets including several stops, ie DEN-YYZ-LGA-DEN (total 3292 flight miles) for 22,000 miles?
"No stopovers...within the country of origin are permitted on international routes."

But otherwise yes, for a domestic ticket under 4,000 total miles it seems that 4 stopovers are allowed for just 22,000 miles, quite the bargain!

Theoretically, this routing, with a stop in each city, should be allowed for 22,000 miles.  In actuality they may not allow that, it would require a phone call to find out.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:35:42 AM by Dan »

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2010, 09:40:16 AM »
"No stopovers...within the country of origin are permitted on international routes."

But otherwise yes, for a domestic ticket under 4,000 total miles it seems that 4 stopovers are allowed for just 22,000 miles, quite the bargain!

Theoretically, this routing, with a stop in each city, should be allowed for 22,000 miles.  In actuality they may not allow that, it would require a phone call to find out.

Stupid question: What defines a stopover? If you "stopover" and change planes in a city, is that considered a stopover? ORD-EWR-YYZ all within 5 hours, and returning YYZ-EWR-ORD...would that be allowed?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2010, 10:40:36 AM »
Stupid question: What defines a stopover? If you "stopover" and change planes in a city, is that considered a stopover? ORD-EWR-YYZ all within 5 hours, and returning YYZ-EWR-ORD...would that be allowed?
Changing planes is not a stopover, it's a connection, so that would be fine.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »
Changing planes is not a stopover, it's a connection, so that would be fine.

At what point (after how long in that city) is it considered a stopover and not a connection?