Author Topic: How to collect a big amount of UR points (Chase)  (Read 114691 times)

Offline HelpMe

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: How to collect a big amount of UR points (Chase)
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2012, 02:43:57 PM »
Chase confiscated many thousands of UR from my relative when they closed his account. They gave a check equal to 1 cent pp. I'm toying with the idea of going to small claims and asking for the real value of the points.
Any thoughts?
I would be happy and let it go. Check the T&C's and what it states about points when an account is closed.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2012, 02:46:51 PM »
I would be happy and let it go.
Why?  What is there to lose by trying?
Worst case is you're out the small court fees and a few hours.

Best case is they don't show up and lose by default or they show up and lose and have to pay out 2.5 cpp and maybe they'll even change their policy in the future about illegally confiscating points.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »
Assuming the OP does have a claim, how does it work (legally) with cashing the check? If you cashed it does that mean you accepted their offer of 1cpm?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2012, 02:48:35 PM »
Best case is they don't show up and lose by default or they show up and lose and maybe they'll even change their policy in the future about illegally confiscating points.

I'm confident that if their terms/policy change regarding this, it'll be a change in their (Chase's) favor.

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »
Hmmm, mixed opinions...
Companies usually cover themselves for anything in the T-C's, but AFAIK, the court doesn't always uphold their T-C's, if they decide it's not according to the law or they just see through it.

With 90k UR, I think it's worth a shot.  The one thing I'm worried about is infuriating the Chase crackdown dep. even more, those resulting in a permanent lifetime ban.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2012, 02:51:42 PM »
Assuming the OP does have a claim, how does it work (legally) with cashing the check? If you cashed it does that mean you accepted their offer of 1cpm?

I specifically made sure the check is not cashed yet. It's sitting securely in my drawer :)

I'm confident that if their terms/policy change regarding this, it'll be a change in their (Chase's) favor.
Only as much as the law allows.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »
the court doesn't always uphold their T-C's, if they decide it's not according to the law or they just see through it.
+1
With 90k UR, I think it's worth a shot.
+1.
$1,350 upside vs. $20 filing cost.
And maybe Chase will even have to eat the filing cost :)

The one thing I'm worried about is infuriating the Chase crackdown dep. even more, those resulting in a permanent lifetime ban.
I don't think the small claims case will make a difference one way or another.
Has anyone with a Chase A/A ever gotten their accounts back?  Do we know of a time limit?

I specifically made sure the check is not cashed yet. It's sitting securely in my drawer :)
Smart thinking!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2012, 02:53:32 PM »
Hmmm, mixed opinions...
Companies usually cover themselves for anything in the T-C's, but AFAIK, the court doesn't always uphold their T-C's, if they decide it's not according to the law or they just see through it.

With 90k UR, I think it's worth a shot.  The one thing I'm worried about is infuriating the Chase crackdown dep. even more, those resulting in a permanent lifetime ban.

Considering you got 1cpm, you'd only (at best) get another 1.5cpm (or less after costs and value of your time). Only you can decide if it's worth the risk. I wonder if they can legally void the check since you took them to court, that would mean that by taking them to SCC you're also risking the $900 of the check.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2012, 02:54:13 PM »
Good luck :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »
I wonder if they can legally void the check since you took them to court, that would mean that by taking them to SCC you're also risking the $900 of the check.
I strongly doubt that.  Worst case is you lose and go cash the check that day at a Chase branch :D

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2012, 02:58:23 PM »
I wonder if they can legally void the check since you took them to court, that would mean that by taking them to SCC you're also risking the $900 of the check.

Interestingly, it's a cashiers check. It's not the regular check sent out by banks for leftover funds, which usually state something like "void after 90 days".

but then again, it's drawn on Chase bank, so perhaps since they ARE the bank, they can void a cashiers check too? Who knows what these whackos can do...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2012, 02:59:16 PM »
Interestingly, it's a cashiers check. It's not the regular check sent out by banks for leftover funds, which usually state something like "void after 90 days".

but then again, it's drawn on Chase bank, so perhaps since they ARE the bank, they can void a cashiers check too? Who knows what these whackos can do...
Not if you cash it out after you leave court.  Anyway I doubt they can legally, it's not like the judge will rule they owe you nothing when Chase already admitted to owing $900.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »
Not if you cash it out after you leave court.  Anyway I doubt they can legally, it's not like the judge will rule they owe you nothing when Chase already admitted to owing $900.

Chase offering you a $900 check as a "settlement" to a non-existing claim can be yanked back by Chase so fast it'll make your head spin.

If you then cashed that check right after an adverse ruling, you'd be opening yourself to a check fraud indictment.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2012, 03:33:48 PM »

Chase offering you a $900 check as a "settlement" to a non-existing claim can be yanked back by Chase so fast it'll make your head spin.

If you then cashed that check right after an adverse ruling, you'd be opening yourself to a check fraud indictment.
It's not a settlement.  Chase acknowledged that they are blocking access to your rightfully earned points (as chase chose not to do further business with you) and they paid out what they consider to be the worth of the points.

I'd be happy to make another wager with you that there's zero chance of a court deciding to void the $900 payment, but you'll probably back out at the 11th hour, so what's the point?

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2012, 03:35:16 PM »
This happens at many stores as I have tried to explain in past posts. It is trial and error but you will be amazed at what’s out there. Also don't always believe them when it says you don't earn rewards on GC purchases!
+1
I bought TRU GC's during the amex gift chain promom and got the bonus points even though
1) I Used an Amex card
1) I bought a GC

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »
It's not a settlement.  Chase acknowledged that they are blocking access to your rightfully earned points (as chase chose not to do further business with you) and they paid out what they consider to be the worth of the points.

You're right its not a settlement. Hence the use of the quotation marks. If it was an actual settlement, they wouldn't as easily be able to yank it back if you tick them off.

They had zero obligation according to their T&C to give him 1cpm. They did it as a gesture of good will.

You watch how long that good will lasts after you sue them for an additional 1.5cpm.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
You're right its not a settlement. Hence the use of the quotation marks. If it was an actual settlement, they wouldn't as easily be able to yank it back if you tick them off.

They had zero obligation according to their T&C to give him 1cpm. They did it as a gesture of good will.

You watch how long that good will lasts after you sue them for an additional 1.5cpm.
-1.  It's not good-will to give a customer what they rightfully earned, it's in order not get sued for illegal forfeiture and seizure of earned rewards.  And what would they need that customer's good-will for, they don't even want them back as a customer!

And I'd be happy to bet again that if someone does take them to small claims that they won't lose the original payment, but only if this time you agree not to back out.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2012, 03:47:25 PM »
-1.  It's not good-will to give a customer what they rightfully earned, it's in order not get sued for illegal forfeiture and seizure of earned rewards.  And what would they need that customer's good-will for, they don't even want them back as a customer!

It's clear you either 1) haven't read the T&C about the closure of accounts, or 2) didn't understand them.

there's zero chance of a court deciding to void the $900 payment

I don't necessarily argue with that, but then again, that isn't what I said might happen either.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2012, 03:49:49 PM »
And I'd be happy to bet again that if someone does take them to small claims that they won't lose the original payment, but only if this time you agree not to back out.

You think if someone even entertains a bet, he's obligated to bet, even if he admits he's wrong?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
It's clear you either 1) haven't read the T&C about the closure of accounts, or 2) didn't understand them.

I don't necessarily argue with that, but then again, that isn't what I said might happen either.
You think Chase will void the $900 payment if someone sues them?  I'll be happy to take on that wager as well.

The Ts and Cs are talking about accounts in default or fraud.  As that's not what's going on here they can't just seize earned points.