Author Topic: How to collect a big amount of UR points (Chase)  (Read 114648 times)

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: How to collect a big amount of UR points (Chase)
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2012, 03:50:07 PM »
if it would have happened to me i had over 100k in my account i would for sure go for it but u need to measure this risk v the return for you

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #161 on: January 09, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »
You think if someone even entertains a bet, he's obligated to bet, even if he admits he's wrong?
No, but if you back out at the 11th hour it makes you look suspect.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #162 on: January 09, 2012, 03:54:36 PM »
You think Chase will void the $900 payment if someone sues them?  I'll be happy to take on that wager as well.

You seem to think my disagreeing with your cavalier assertion about there being no risk with suing Chase means I want to bet.

I have no skin in this fight. I was merely pointing out that Chase can contractually pull that "settlement" check back.

If you want to put your money where your mouth is, agree to indemnify Avid Reader for any loss resulting from his forthcoming suit.

The Ts and Cs are talking about accounts in default or fraud.  As that's not what's going on here they can't just seize earned points.

Again:
It's clear you either 1) haven't read the T&C about the closure of accounts, or 2) didn't understand them.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2012, 03:56:02 PM »
No, but if you back out at the 11th hour it makes you look suspect.

So let me get this straight, if it's right before we actually bet, and I figure out I was wrong, I should bet anyway because it's right before we bet?  ::)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2012, 04:00:14 PM »
Where is steve2 when we need him?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2012, 04:01:30 PM »
Who needs him when we have AJK?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »

I don't understand you. I'm trying to help you by alerting you to a possible risk with suing, and you mention the only guy (to my knowledge) who Dan banned from DDF?

Who needs him when we have AJK?

Wow.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »
I don't understand you. I'm trying to help you by alerting you to a possible risk with suing, and you mention the only guy (to my knowledge) who Dan banned from DDF?

Wow.
Steve2 is not banned from DDF.

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2012, 04:04:06 PM »
The Ts and Cs are talking about accounts in default or fraud. 
I think you missed a part:

"and/or your Account is closed for any reason"
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2012, 04:07:10 PM »
I still don't see any court upholding the right of any company to nilly-willy confiscate earned points if the customer did nothing wrong besides not being a profitable customer.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »
If you want to put your money where your mouth is, agree to indemnify Avid Reader for any loss resulting from his forthcoming suit.
No problem, if Chase takes away the $900 I'll repay him the $900 and pay you $900 if you agree to pay me $900 if they don't take it away.
That's 2-1 odds for you.

Otherwise why am I putting skin in the game?

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »
No problem, if Chase takes away the $900 I'll repay him the $900 and pay you $900 if you agree to pay me $900 if they don't take it away.
That's 2-1 odds for you.

I will go one further. If Chase takes back 900 from AR I will give him 1k so he makes a profit. If they don’t take it away someone owes a charity of my choice 900. I will not profit at all. Anyone want to call my bluff?

I would still just let it go.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »

You're asking me? How would I know?

To me it just seems like you're trigger happy to bet.

I didn't personally attack you. I wasn't negative towards you. I didn't insult you.

I simply disagreed with your opinion (that there was zero risk), and stated my own: that it MAY be a risk.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #173 on: January 09, 2012, 04:19:11 PM »

The official reasons why Chase closed the accounts were do to changes in the credit file. I think Chase would have a pretty hard time justifying points forfeiture in front of a judge or arbitrator because of changes to a credit file. To be sure, the CR is stellar. 

Sure they can claim that their T&C's state they can do anything they want for any reason, but once in court, it will be up to the judge to decide if this was legal. Plenty of court cases exist where the judge tossed the T&C's because he felt they were unreasonable or not in accord with the law.

I have all the UR statements saved which show how the points were accumulated. It would be very interesting to see how this would play out in court.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »
I would still just let it go.
Why?

To me it just seems like you're trigger happy to bet.
Not at all.  In fact in 4 years of DDf you're the only person I can think of with whom I've had to resort to ask to a bet because you're so stubborn and refuse to acknowledge when you're wrong...hence the need to twice ask you to put your money where your mouth is in the past week and why I (justifiably or not) posted your PM.

And you didn't say there "may be a risk"  You said it a whole lot stronger than that:
Chase offering you a $900 check as a "settlement" to a non-existing claim can be yanked back by Chase so fast it'll make your head spin.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
The official reasons why Chase closed the accounts were do to changes in the credit file. I think Chase would have a pretty hard time justifying points forfeiture in front of a judge or arbitrator because of changes to a credit file. To be sure, the CR is stellar. 

Sure they can claim that their T&C's state they can do anything they want for any reason, but once in court, it will be up to the judge to decide if this was legal. Plenty of court cases exist where the judge tossed the T&C's because he felt they were unreasonable or not in accord with the law.

I have all the UR statements saved which show how the points were accumulated. It would be very interesting to see how this would play out in court.
+900

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2012, 04:34:47 PM »
Not at all.  In fact in 4 years of DDf you're the only person I can think of with whom I've had to resort to ask to a bet because you're so stubborn and refuse to acknowledge when you're wrong...hence the need to twice ask you to put your money where your mouth is in the past week and why I (justifiably or not) posted your PM.

And you didn't say there "may be a risk"  You said it a whole lot stronger than that:

The first time you asked me to bet, I admitted I was wrong before we actually bet, but you get upset I didn't bet anyway.

The second time you asked me to bet (today), I had no reason to bet. Why would I? All I mentioned was a concern that OP should be made aware of. (If I had known ahead of time the manner in which he ended up responding, I wouldn't have bothered.)

And, finally, with regard to "there may be a risk": Where I come from the word "can" means able. Chase would be contractually able, IMHO, to yank back the check if it so chose.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
Why?
The amount of time you will spend could be better spent on maximizing deals and earning more. I guess I just look at things differently.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2012, 04:40:02 PM »
The amount of time you will spend could be better spent on maximizing deals and earning more. I guess I just look at things differently.
In 2 hours you can do better than make $1,500?  Then why are you wasting time on DDF/FWF?  There are also decent odds Chase doesn't even show up to court.

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2012, 04:41:18 PM »

Hold on there. I was just pointing out what the T&C’s stated. I did not take a position one way or another on what would happen in court.