Author Topic: Israeli Payment Apps for Foreigners  (Read 1228 times)

Offline JudahMcB

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Israeli Payment Apps for Foreigners
« on: September 09, 2020, 06:02:52 PM »
I have a daughter in seminary this year who needs to send/receive money to/from her Israeli roommates. They don't have Paypal, Venmo, Zelle, etc. - they only use Pay (https://www.pepper.co.il/en) or PayBox (https://www.payboxapp.com). AFAIK, both of these apps require a bank account in Israel and ask for a mispar zehut when you sign up. Anyone have experience getting around this without opening a bank account in Israel? She already has a Schwab debit card with free ATM withdrawals but I'd rather not have her have to get cash all the time. Any other suggestions?

Offline JudahMcB

• View Profile
Re: Israeli Payment Apps for Foreigners
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 03:07:00 PM »
I have a daughter in seminary this year who needs to send/receive money to/from her Israeli roommates. They don't have Paypal, Venmo, Zelle, etc. - they only use Pay (https://www.pepper.co.il/en) or PayBox (https://www.payboxapp.com). AFAIK, both of these apps require a bank account in Israel and ask for a mispar zehut when you sign up. Anyone have experience getting around this without opening a bank account in Israel? She already has a Schwab debit card with free ATM withdrawals but I'd rather not have her have to get cash all the time. Any other suggestions?
Have another child spending a gap year in Israel this September. Anyone find a solution to this? 

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 11:11:20 AM »
There's really no way around it.  Does she/he need to only send, or both send and receive?

Offline JudahMcB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 01:23:16 PM »
There's really no way around it.  Does she/he need to only send, or both send and receive?
Both

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 08:21:18 PM »
One can open up an Israeli bank account (definitely at postal bank, possibly others) as a foreigner. I think once you have that you can use bit which is another Israeli payment app.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline JlmBoi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 03:30:48 AM »
One can open up an Israeli bank account (definitely at postal bank, possibly others) as a foreigner. I think once you have that you can use bit which is another Israeli payment app.
Afaik you need to be full Israeli with TZ (not any of the alternative TZ people use) for bit.
The chiddush of DDF is the way Dan Deals with all us crazies 🤪

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 04:47:59 AM »
Afaik you need to be full Israeli with TZ (not any of the alternative TZ people use) for bit.

+1

I have 2 alternative TZ, on my drivers license and bituach leumi, and I have bank accounts at two different banks and I can't use Bit.