Author Topic: A face mask that cancelled a flight.  (Read 1678 times)

Online Kobe bryent

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: A face mask that cancelled a flight.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 03:47:53 PM »
If one baby dies from this policy but a hundred old men are saved does that make it morally incorrect?
Are you serious?
The baby is 19 MO.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 03:57:01 PM »
Are you serious?
The baby is 19 MO.
So your (emotional) argument is that age is the only factor? Bleeding heart conservative ;)
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Online Kobe bryent

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 03:58:18 PM »
So your (emotional) argument is that age is the only factor? Bleeding heart conservative ;)
Why don't you explain to me why children under 2 are exempt from masks? Does Canada have a different policy?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Ritz Carlton Gold, *G, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Total Rewards Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, DDF Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 04:01:52 PM »
Why don't you explain to me why children under 2 are exempt from masks? Does Canada have a different policy?
I donít know the answer, nor do I necessarily agree with their policy. I just posed what I thought was a legitimate question and have heard nothing but ad hominem attacks with nothing addressing the logical validity therein.

Some possible answers?

1- Younger children pose less risk of spreading COVID, as well as less risk of becoming severely ill (thus less risk of a lawsuit)
2- There needs to be some cut off, and an actuarial decision in the company arrived at the conclusion that 24 months makes the most economic sense
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Online Kobe bryent

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 04:06:29 PM »
I donít know the answer, nor do I necessarily agree with their policy. I just posed what I thought was a legitimate question and have heard nothing but ad hominem attacks with nothing addressing the logical validity therein.

Some possible answers?

1- Younger children pose less risk of spreading COVID, as well as less risk of becoming severely ill (thus less risk of a lawsuit)
2- There needs to be some cut off, and an actuarial decision in the company arrived at the conclusion that 24 months makes the most economic sense
I'm working under the assumption that under 24 Months they are exempt from wearing a mask, and therefore this is a travesty.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 04:09:28 PM »
There are rarely broad governmental policies that result in zero loss of life, no matter how emotional an argument one can make in the extreme examples that end up that way.

Seatbelt mandates cause a non-zero amount of deaths each year. That in no way minimizes the extraordinary amount of lives they save.

True, an airline policy should ideally cause no deaths.Youíre probably referring to a quote of mine but thatís not what I said at all. In trying to illustrate why one *may* be upset at others for not wearing masks and thus endangering them, despite this being a free country, I used the obviously extreme analogy of someone firing an AK-47 and daring others to cross it. Naturally, all agree that thatís inherently wrong. Using the same principle of limiting oneís actions that potentially endanger others in a less extreme case (that of masks) one can understand how one *may* be upset.

Ben Shapiro often uses another analogy- your right to swing your fist ends at my face.I would be extremely upset. Itís much easier to be angry when one sees an action result in a direct consequence as opposed to inaction resulting in a slow and vague consequence, even if the slow and vague consequences have far more severe ramifications.

I assume you understand there have been no babies killed due to this policy, nor are there likely to ever be, correct? Yet you claimed

You are full of straw man arguments. Make the mask policy sensible and it won't cause issues. Make it non-sensical it will be treated as such.
Just because things turned out a certain way doesn't mean you were right.

Offline etech0

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 04:12:49 PM »
I'm working under the assumption that under 24 Months they are exempt from wearing a mask, and therefore this is a travesty.
Wasn't it considered dangerous for children under 2?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 04:38:36 PM »
You are full of straw man arguments. Make the mask policy sensible and it won't cause issues. Make it non-sensical it will be treated as such.
Please point to an example, I donít think I am.

I also donít think itís true that any ďsensibleĒ policy wonít have some drawbacks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 04:42:26 PM by S209 »
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 04:43:28 PM »
If that is the case then itís more a question of what was going on in the first place
Gowns By Shevy
732-806-1136
info@gownsbyshevy.com

Offline etech0

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 05:06:17 PM »
If that is the case then itís more a question of what was going on in the first place
+1
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Online Kobe bryent

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 05:47:09 PM »

Absolute trip power. Horrifying.

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2020, 04:34:40 PM »
It was an issue with a 3 year old
According to WestJet, the only issue was with the 3 year old. So far it's a he said she said situation. But I do find it strange that according to the passenger, the 3 year old was eating a snack, was told that there was a zero tolerance policy and the door couldnt close until the kid had a mask on, and the passenger still asked whether the kid could finish the snack. Either way, the facts need to come out.

Online Kobe bryent

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2020, 08:44:30 PM »
According to WestJet, the only issue was with the 3 year old. So far it's a he said she said situation. But I do find it strange that according to the passenger, the 3 year old was eating a snack, was told that there was a zero tolerance policy and the door couldnt close until the kid had a mask on, and the passenger still asked whether the kid could finish the snack. Either way, the facts need to come out.
Guests can eat or drink while on board as long as they replace their mask once finished.

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 09:49:41 PM »

Some possible answers?

The CDC says it's dangerous for children under 2 to wear a mask because they may not be able to remove it if they have trouble breathing
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2020, 10:05:02 PM »
The CDC says it's dangerous for children under 2 to wear a mask because they may not be able to remove it if they have trouble breathing
But masks don't cause a problem breathing......
Just because things turned out a certain way doesn't mean you were right.