Author Topic: RBG DDF shortlist and how it will shape the Elections  (Read 33458 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
Re: RBG DDF shortlist and how it will shape the Elections
« Reply #261 on: September 26, 2020, 09:01:37 PM »
Shoots!! I was waiting the whole Shabbos to see if my phone would ring...

Maybe I'll get the nomination next time...

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #262 on: September 26, 2020, 09:03:42 PM »
Shoots!! I was waiting the whole Shabbos to see if my phone would ring...

Maybe I'll get the nomination next time...

If only they had looked at your like count and ratio, they'd have realized there would be bi-partisan support.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 26, 2020, 11:17:27 PM »
Can't wait for the defense of non-Jewish religious beliefs by the Frum Right Wing.

ACB could be catholic and a fine judge. She also could hold religious beliefs that are disqualifying as it  relates to judging cases impartially.

I wouldn't support any judge that bases decisions of religious theology and not the US Constitution.

I'd also posit that if Obama had appointed a Muslim Judge, there would be intensive scrutiny over the extent to which he or she would use Sharia Law to base his or her decisions. Don't pretend that wouldn't be a factor.
Of course it would.

BUT SEE, e.g. Sotomayor saying that her faith guided her at times. RBG saying Jewish values guided her. I would provide cites but don't actually have the time rn.

Faith is only a problem if it is from those with whom you disagree. That ends up usually meaning the left has a problem since they seem to disagree with the idea of faith generally these days.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 26, 2020, 11:19:31 PM »
Merrick garland was specifically designed to be the least controversial pick possible, in the hopes of creating momentum to force a vote.

Trump's only risk here is that ACB says something in her hearings that make 2 or more Republicans not support her. I can't think of anything she could possibly say to change their minds.
Agreed. Dont think there is much risk here.

Disagree on the Garland thing though. Obama knew Garland wasn't going to get a vote. So he specifically chose the most moderate person he can find to make the GOP look stupid, and should a situation like the one today arise, hypocritical. Had he chose a super liberal judge, the GOP would have just said we oppose on ideological grounds.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #266 on: September 27, 2020, 10:33:56 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hirono-blumenthal-amy-coney-barrett.amp

Just the video link is: video.foxnews.com/v/video-embed.html?video_id=6194877496001 interview with Trump at 4:44 followed by comments at 5:44.

@Dan, how could voting for the alternative even be considered? Would you be comfortable with the Bolshevik party machine or Kamala Harris having this kind of impact?

How about @CountValentine, what would your response be?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 27, 2020, 10:39:48 AM »
What new law did Roe v Wade legislate? They reviewed the law and made a determination of a right to privacy. And this is held up as THE standard for legislating from the bench.

The answer in both cases is that judges expanded a right beyond its original intent.
Privacy was a creation of the court but long before Roe.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 27, 2020, 10:53:31 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hirono-blumenthal-amy-coney-barrett.amp
Seems to be following the precedent of not meeting with a nominee during an election year.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #269 on: September 27, 2020, 11:18:48 AM »
Privacy was a creation of the court but long before Roe.
Privacy from prying eyes is based on illegal search and seizure as well as housing of soldiers. THat the right to privacy restricts regulating an action is new. It is a stretch to say that a right to privacy means that a doctor can't be regulated against having an abortion clininc with a big huge sign in front.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 29, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
Privacy from prying eyes is based on illegal search and seizure as well as housing of soldiers. THat the right to privacy restricts regulating an action is new. It is a stretch to say that a right to privacy means that a doctor can't be regulated against having an abortion clininc with a big huge sign in front.
Exactly.

If I *privately* murder my roommate, I don't lose my right to privacy by getting charged with murder. The liberal narrative surrounding abortion is just hilarious and laced with hypocrisy.

Just to start, the fact that it is framed as reproductive justice when it is about everything beside reproduction is just comical. I guess calling it killing fetuses just wouldn't garner as much political support.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 29, 2020, 01:17:10 PM »

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 29, 2020, 01:22:40 PM »
Exactly.

If I *privately* murder my roommate, I don't lose my right to privacy by getting charged with murder. The liberal narrative surrounding abortion is just hilarious and laced with hypocrisy.

Just to start, the fact that it is framed as reproductive justice when it is about everything beside reproduction is just comical. I guess calling it killing fetuses just wouldn't garner as much political support.
One could make the argument that framing it as murder is equally laughable...

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 29, 2020, 01:24:52 PM »
irrelevant to the constitutional argument.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 29, 2020, 01:26:56 PM »
The millions of unborn babies who have been killed in the US wouldn't find it "laughable."
"Homicide" would be the correct term.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 29, 2020, 01:28:14 PM »
The millions of unborn babies who have been killed in the US wouldn't find it "laughable."
"Homicide" would be the correct term.
Right, but recognize that the entire framing of the debate is contingent on a specific fact, which is anything but simple.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 29, 2020, 01:32:52 PM »
irrelevant to the constitutional argument.
Absolutely relevant.

If you come from the perspective that it's murder, then even if there were an implied right of privacy, it would certainly not apply.

If you come from the perspective that abortion is a medical procedure, then assuming there's an implied right to privacy (an if to be sure), there's what to debate whether the state's need to stop abortions overrides individual privacy.

My comment was pointing out the leap in comparing abortion to a case where someone commits a murder in private.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 29, 2020, 01:38:44 PM »
Right, but recognize that the entire framing of the debate is contingent on a specific fact, which is anything but simple.

This is simply false. There is ZERO right to privacy about regulating doctors doing other medical procedures and this would be no different. There is no right to privacy implied anywhere in the constitution for such a thing. It is totally manufactured. This has ZERO to do with whether or not abortion is murder and what good, moral, and wise policy should be.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 29, 2020, 01:43:16 PM »
This is simply false. There is ZERO right to privacy about regulating doctors doing other medical procedures and this would be no different. There is no right to privacy implied anywhere in the constitution for such a thing. It is totally manufactured. This has ZERO to do with whether or not abortion is murder and what good, moral, and wise policy should be.
From Wikipedia:

January 1973, the Supreme Court issued a 7–2 decision ruling that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provides a "right to privacy" that protects a pregnant woman's right to choose whether or not to have an abortion. But it also ruled that this right is not absolute, and must be balanced against the government's interests in protecting women's health and protecting prenatal life.

My point is that there are 2 options to strike down Roe:

1. Abortion = murder, therfore, the  interest in protecting prenatel life is higher than was originally ruled (a court may be tempted to say this as they can likely point to medical advances since 1973 as basis for the change).

2. The entire premise of the right to privacy is manufactured.

You could imagine there are a few nafka Minas to that.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 29, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »
Exactly.

If there was any political support to killing babies in the womb, there would have been a law passed by Congress.
The fact is there never was, and that's why the left had to legislate from the bench.
To imply that the framers protected killing the unborn, in the constitution is beyond "Laughable"