Author Topic: RBG DDF shortlist and how it will shape the Elections  (Read 33483 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: RBG DDF shortlist and how it will shape the Elections
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2020, 02:23:25 PM »
Wouldn't it be tough for McConnell to justify leaving a SCOTUS seat open indefinitely if Biden gets to make a pick in Year 1?
I don't think that he would be able to and even trying could destroy the institution. He can and should use leverage to ensure a more moderate nominee.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• View Profile

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2020, 04:16:16 PM »

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 22, 2020, 06:16:55 PM »
2016, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas): “It has been 80 years since a Supreme Court vacancy was nominated and confirmed in an election year. There is a long tradition that you don’t do this in an election year.”
2018, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.): “If an opening comes in the last year of President Trump’s term, and the primary process has started, we’ll wait to the next election.”
2016, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.): “I don’t think we should be moving on a nominee in the last year of this president’s term - I would say that if it was a Republican president.”
2016, Sen. David Perdue (R-Ga.): “The very balance of our nation’s highest court is in serious jeopardy. As a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I will do everything in my power to encourage the president and Senate leadership not to start this process until we hear from the American people.”
2016, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa): “A lifetime appointment that could dramatically impact individual freedoms and change the direction of the court for at least a generation is too important to get bogged down in politics. The American people shouldn’t be denied a voice.”
2016, Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.): “The campaign is already under way. It is essential to the institution of the Senate and to the very health of our republic to not launch our nation into a partisan, divisive confirmation battle during the very same time the American people are casting their ballots to elect our next president.”
2016, Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.): “In this election year, the American people will have an opportunity to have their say in the future direction of our country. For this reason, I believe the vacancy left open by Justice Antonin Scalia should not be filled until there is a new president.”
2016, Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.): “The Senate should not confirm a new Supreme Court justice until we have a new president.”
2016, Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Col.): “I think we’re too close to the election. The president who is elected in November should be the one who makes this decision.”
2016, Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio): “I believe the best thing for the country is to trust the American people to weigh in on who should make a lifetime appointment that could reshape the Supreme Court for generations. This wouldn’t be unusual. It is common practice for the Senate to stop acting on lifetime appointments during the last year of a presidential term, and it’s been nearly 80 years since any president was permitted to immediately fill a vacancy that arose in a presidential election year.”
2016, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.): “I strongly agree that the American people should decide the future direction of the Supreme Court by their votes for president and the majority party in the U.S. Senate.”
“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.”
Mitch McConnell, March 2016

Not one of these statements mention divided government as the reason.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2020, 06:23:07 PM »
Not one of these statements mention divided government as the reason.
Now compile the list of Democrats who said the opposite...

Offline Kobe Bryant

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2020, 06:44:55 PM »
President Trump - I will be announcing my Supreme Court Nominee on Saturday, at the White House! Exact time TBA.
Pres. Trump will announce his Supreme Court nominee on Saturday at 5:00pm ET.

"I'm getting very close to having a final decision made," Pres. Trump says, about announcing a Supreme Court nominee following the passing of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Offline cks33

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2020, 06:50:20 PM »
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH

On everything except the last part. Yes that is most definitely the logical end from the Dems abolishing the filibuster for nominees. For the rest you need to brush up on history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_slip

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH

On everything except the last part. Yes that is most definitely the logical end from the Dems abolishing the filibuster for nominees. For the rest you need to brush up on history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_slip

You are joking right?

2007 -15 D Control Senate - adhered to the policy of not moving forward while a DEM is president - republicans abolish it when they take charge after a R becomes president - that is an escalation on their part -- now, you can argue about the past but the most recent escalation on this specific issue is on the R side. You can also say D's were dumb and should have just advanced their nominees like the republicans are doing.

2015 to present - R controls senate

From 2007 to January 3, 2018: The chairman’s blue-slip policy allowed movement on a judicial nominee only if both home-state Senators returned positive blue slips to the committee. If one home-state Senator returned a negative blue slip, no further action would be taken on the nominee.[5]
January 3, 2018 - present: "The lack of two positive blue slips will not necessarily preclude a circuit-court nominee from receiving a hearing unless the White House failed to consult with home-state senators. Hearings are unlikely for district court nominees without two positive blue slips."[6]

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2020, 07:00:49 PM »
Whoever says that I'm not open to hearing the other side is completely wrong. It can sometimes take years, but there are times when I agree with the opposition.

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/765561775257288704

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2020, 07:10:08 PM »
Link? Either way, Graham most certainly did not. And he’s having trouble with his foot. Hope it tastes ok.
Here is a letter written in 2016, signed by the Republicans on the Judiciary Committee, INCLUDING Graham, in which they clearly stress the point of it being a divided government.

https://www.grassley.senate.gov/sites/default/files/judiciary/upload/SCOTUS%2C%2002-23-16%2C%20member%20signed%20letter%2C%20no%20hearings.pdf

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2020, 07:25:44 PM »
Here is a letter written in 2016, signed by the Republicans on the Judiciary Committee, INCLUDING Graham, in which they clearly stress the point of it being a divided government.

https://www.grassley.senate.gov/sites/default/files/judiciary/upload/SCOTUS%2C%2002-23-16%2C%20member%20signed%20letter%2C%20no%20hearings.pdf
It's definitely was not stressed.

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2020, 08:30:07 PM »
You are joking right?

2007 -15 D Control Senate - adhered to the policy of not moving forward while a DEM is president - republicans abolish it when they take charge after a R becomes president - that is an escalation on their part -- now, you can argue about the past but the most recent escalation on this specific issue is on the R side. You can also say D's were dumb and should have just advanced their nominees like the republicans are doing.

2015 to present - R controls senate

From 2007 to January 3, 2018: The chairman’s blue-slip policy allowed movement on a judicial nominee only if both home-state Senators returned positive blue slips to the committee. If one home-state Senator returned a negative blue slip, no further action would be taken on the nominee.[5]
January 3, 2018 - present: "The lack of two positive blue slips will not necessarily preclude a circuit-court nominee from receiving a hearing unless the White House failed to consult with home-state senators. Hearings are unlikely for district court nominees without two positive blue slips."[6]

Ancient traditions from 2007..... Escalations while ignoring the ones who started it. mmhhhmmm.....

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2020, 08:38:07 PM »
Would be the first Supreme Court Justice not from Harvard/Yale/Stanford Law School (Top 3) appointed in the past 45 years.
Right now, I believe every justice (alive) attended Harvard or Yale. I think RBG was the only Stanford alum on the court...

ETA: Actually, RBG studied in Cornell and Harvard...
Columbia and Harvard.

There have been many Harvard Law grads on the high court, but RBG was not one of them.  RBG received her BA from Cornell and her JD from Columbia Law School.

A top graduate of Cornell University, RBG enrolled at Harvard Law in 1956, following her husband, who was in his second year there - he'd attended for one year before his legal education was interrupted by the military draft.

Her class at Harvard Law had 552 men but just eight other women. In a story that's now legend, the school's then-dean asked those women, at a dinner party, how they justified taking a place that would have gone to a man.

RBG left Harvard after her second of three years, since her husband had accepted a position at a New York law firm in New York. RBG transferred to CLS - and was denied a Harvard degree, despite having gotten the majority of her legal education at Harvard. Years later, in 2011, Harvard awarded her an honorary degree. The occasion, I suspect, served more to bolster Harvard than RBG, who achieved plenty in her legal career despite the "indignities" (see https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1993/7/23/ginsburg-blasts-harvard-law-pin-testimony/) Harvard imposed on her.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2020, 08:39:47 PM »
There have been many Harvard Law grads on the high court, but RBG was not one of them.  RBG received her BA from Cornell and her JD from Columbia Law School.

A top graduate of Cornell University, RBG enrolled at Harvard Law in 1956, following her husband, who was in his second year there - he'd attended for one year before his legal education was interrupted by the military draft.

Her class at Harvard Law had 552 men but just eight other women. In a story that's now legend, the school's then-dean asked those women, at a dinner party, how they justified taking a place that would have gone to a man.

RBG left Harvard after her second of three years, since her husband had accepted a position at a New York law firm in New York. RBG transferred to CLS - and was denied a Harvard degree, despite having gotten the majority of her legal education at Harvard. Years later, in 2011, Harvard awarded her an honorary degree. The occasion, I suspect, served more to bolster Harvard than RBG, who achieved plenty in her legal career despite the "indignities" (see https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1993/7/23/ginsburg-blasts-harvard-law-pin-testimony/) Harvard imposed on her.
Right, she studied law at Harvard and Columbia.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2020, 10:23:21 PM »
I think Trump will nominate Amy Coney Barrett because she is a Catholic, and he knows at least one Democrat won't be able to hold themselves back from saying that she should be nixed because she's religious, and Trump will ride to reelection on that comment.

Just a thought.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2020, 10:51:36 PM »
I think Trump will nominate Amy Coney Barrett because she is a Catholic, and he knows at least one Democrat won't be able to hold themselves back from saying that she should be nixed because she's religious, and Trump will ride to reelection on that comment.

Just a thought.
I agree. I think Trump will nominate ACB. The only question is, what scandal do you think the Democrats are going to conjure up this time around ? As the usual thomasing won't work.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2020, 10:54:45 PM »

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2020, 11:12:13 PM »
I think it will be Lagoa. She will help in Florida (which is absolutely a must win), is more mainstream, and is still Catholic.

Also could help him win over Hispanics in other potential vulnerable states like Texas and Arizona.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2020, 11:13:45 PM »
I think it will be Lagoa. She will help in Florida (which is absolutely a must win), is more mainstream, and is still Catholic.
I think it looks like he's relying on her for the win if he nominates her. It makes him look desperate. But you may be right.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2020, 11:15:28 PM »
I think it looks like he's relying on her for the win if he nominates her. It makes him look desperate. But you may be right.
I thibk ACB has a lot of potential baggage, and he can only afford to lose 1 vote on the nominee herself. He needs a safe pick, not a fight over her record.

That being said, the Florida felon voting issue is all over the press now and could hurt Lagoa.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2020, 11:17:31 PM »
I thibk ACB has a lot of potential baggage, and he can only afford to lose 1 vote on the nominee herself. He needs a safe pick, not a fight over her record.
Why only 1 vote?