Author Topic: RBG DDF shortlist and how it will shape the Elections  (Read 33304 times)

Offline gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: RBG DDF shortlist and how it will shape the Elections
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2020, 08:33:24 PM »
In the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971, as amended in 1974, Congress imposed new and stringent regulation of and limitations on contributions to and expenditures by political campaigns, as well as disclosure of most contributions and expenditures, setting the stage for the landmark case of Buckley v. Valeo.10 Acting in basic unanimity, the Court sustained the contribution and disclosure sections of the statute (although several Justices felt that the sustained provisions trenched on protected expression), but voided the limitations on expenditures.11 Although contribution and expenditure limitations both implicate fundamental First Amendment interests, the Court found, expenditure ceilings impose significantly more severe restrictions on protected freedoms of political expression and association than do . . . limitations on financial contributions.12
As to contribution limitations, the Court in Buckley recognized that political contributions serve[ ] to affiliate a person with a candidate and enable[ ] like-minded persons to pool their resources in furtherance of common political goals. Contribution ceilings, therefore, limit one important means of associating with a candidate or committee. . . .13 Yet [e]ven a significant interference with protected rights of political association may be sustained if the State demonstrates a sufficiently important interest and employs means closely drawn to avoid unnecessary abridgment of associational freedoms.14
As to expenditure limitations, the Court wrote, [a] restriction on the amount of money a person or group can spend on political communication during a campaign necessarily reduces the quantity of expression by restricting the number of issues discussed, the depth of their exploration, and the size of the audience reached.15 The expenditure of money in political campaigns may involve speech alone, conduct alone, or mixed speech-conduct, the Court noted, but all forms of it involve communication, and when governmental regulation is aimed directly at suppressing communication it does not matter how that communication is defined. As such, the regulation must be subjected to close scrutiny and justified by compelling governmental interests.
Basically, to sum it up the court applied strict scrutiny. Yes, that is ususally what happens in free speech cases and it didn't pass muster in Citizens united. Anything else you'd like to share?

BTW in case you didn't know the ACLU (before they became a hyperpoliticized leftist org) actually argued on the side of the FEC since they (used to  at least) believed in free speech. Since you seem to be grounded in politics does that chagne your opinion at all?

And what about Bezos owning the WaPo? That is also big money that influences politics. Perhaps we should limit how much wealth media personalities can have?

you see where I'm going with this. Regulating free speech (an oxymoron) is no easy task.

Offline gubevo18

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2020, 08:37:21 PM »
@shaulyaakov bottom line - I think it is clear that liberal judges are MUCH more likely to legislate from the bench/ And in fact most of my liberal friend are not only okay with that, they are happy about it. (and trust me - I'm surrounded by liberals). I'm not sure why you have such a hard time wrapping your head around that.

Just look at the way tehy described RBG. clearly they were happy she was an activist judge.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2020, 08:37:55 PM »

Offline Pad18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 25, 2020, 11:04:38 AM »
Ruth bader Ginsburg becomes the first woman and the first Jewish person to lie in state in the US Capital.

Offline BP16

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2020, 11:16:44 AM »
Ruth bader Ginsburg becomes the first woman and the first Jewish person to lie in state in the US Capital.

Did she have a Jewish burial? 

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2020, 11:19:22 AM »
Did she have a Jewish burial?
She wasn't buried yet.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline BP16

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2020, 11:30:24 AM »
She wasn't buried yet.
I meant the Tahrah

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2020, 11:35:34 AM »
I meant the Tahrah
Unless Rabbi Shemtov pulled some tangled strings, highly doubtful. She didn't lead a Jewish life in any shape or form.

Offline BP16

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2020, 11:47:41 AM »
Unless Rabbi Shemtov pulled some tangled strings, highly doubtful. She didn't lead a Jewish life in any shape or form.
I feel bad for he soul! not just she went against Jewish values she cant even get a Jewish burial?

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2020, 01:15:12 PM »
Ruth bader Ginsburg becomes the first Jewish person to lie in state in the US Capital.

Very sad.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2020, 04:25:45 PM »
ACB was always on the top of his list.
President Donald Trump intends to choose Amy Coney Barrett to be the new Supreme Court justice, according to multiple senior Republican sources with knowledge of the process told CNN.

All sources cautioned that until it is announced by the President, there is always the possibility that Trump makes a last-minute change but the expectation is Barrett is the choice. He is scheduled to make the announcement on Saturday afternoon.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2020, 04:28:25 PM »
Can't wait for the attacks on christianity from the Democrats and the MSM.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2020, 04:35:40 PM »
Can't wait for the attacks on christianity from the Democrats and the MSM.
Can't wait for the defense of non-Jewish religious beliefs by the Frum Right Wing.

ACB could be catholic and a fine judge. She also could hold religious beliefs that are disqualifying as it  relates to judging cases impartially.

I wouldn't support any judge that bases decisions of religious theology and not the US Constitution.

I'd also posit that if Obama had appointed a Muslim Judge, there would be intensive scrutiny over the extent to which he or she would use Sharia Law to base his or her decisions. Don't pretend that wouldn't be a factor.

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2020, 04:35:49 PM »
Just to be clear
I am no Democrat lover But ACB is more of a “risky’’ pick than Obama’s pick

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2020, 04:42:06 PM »
Just to be clear
Merrick garland was specifically designed to be the least controversial pick possible, in the hopes of creating momentum to force a vote.

Trump's only risk here is that ACB says something in her hearings that make 2 or more Republicans not support her. I can't think of anything she could possibly say to change their minds.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 25, 2020, 05:02:52 PM »
Can't wait for the defense of non-Jewish religious beliefs by the Frum Right Wing.

ACB could be catholic and a fine judge. She also could hold religious beliefs that are disqualifying as it  relates to judging cases impartially.

I wouldn't support any judge that bases decisions of religious theology and not the US Constitution.

I'd also posit that if Obama had appointed a Muslim Judge, there would be intensive scrutiny over the extent to which he or she would use Sharia Law to base his or her decisions. Don't pretend that wouldn't be a factor.
https://www.zazzle.com/the_dogma_lives_loudly_within_you_coffee_mug-168106900951091115?rf=238840279726397180&tc=EAIaIQobChMIkqb7jJqF7AIVBeXICh3TnwHUEAQYASABEgLkYPD_BwE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=us_shopping&utm_term=z168106900951091115&ca_chid=2001810&ca_source=gaw&ca_ace=&ca_nw=g&ca_dev=m&ca_pl=&ca_pos=&ca_cid=381077449563&ca_agid=77510933683&ca_caid=6483200069&ca_adid=381077449563&ca_kwt=&ca_mt=&ca_fid=&ca_tid=pla-540350907559&ca_lp=9004077&ca_li=&ca_devm=&ca_plt=&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkqb7jJqF7AIVBeXICh3TnwHUEAQYASABEgLkYPD_BwE

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 25, 2020, 05:14:24 PM »
Just to be clear
Perhaps 'risky' as a person, but the playfield is much safer. Now you only need 51 votes, and there are more Republicans than that... Then, IIRC, you needed 60, and there were not even 50 Dems.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.