Author Topic: Used Car Research  (Read 5917 times)

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Used Car Research
« on: September 21, 2020, 07:19:44 PM »
Looking into purchasing a 2017 Kia Sedona. A top mechanic told me they are good vans. Can anyone comment on their experience (or that of others they know have it) with the Sedona ?

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Used Car Research
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 12:56:24 PM »
Looking into purchasing a 2017 Kia Sedona. A top mechanic told me they are good vans. Can anyone comment on their experience (or that of others they know have it) with the Sedona ?

Highly recommend. Good value for the quality.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 01:32:16 PM »
Highly recommend. Good value for the quality.

Thanks! Do you, or did you own one? I'm nervous to spend all that $  So few in our circles have them so not much to ask around.... I'm looking at a 2017 with 28k for just under $20,000 I'd pay $2-3k more for a Sienna with double the mileage.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 01:45:45 PM »
Thanks! Do you, or did you own one? I'm nervous to spend all that $  So few in our circles have them so not much to ask around.... I'm looking at a 2017 with 28k for just under $20,000 I'd pay $2-3k more for a Sienna with double the mileage.

I have one and know at least 5 others who do, too. It's probably a half-step down from the Sienna and Odyssey, but you can save thousands. My plan was to use it for 5 years and then sell, and it seems to hold its value pretty well.

Offline pointer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 03:56:12 PM »
Consumer reports rates the 2017 Sedona's overall reliability as very good / 4/5
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:59:51 PM by pointer »

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 04:08:07 PM »
I got a 3-yr old sienna xle for about 21,500 with about 30k miles, give or take... (this was back in 2015).

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 04:13:33 PM »
I got a 3-yr old sienna xle for about 21,500 with about 30k miles, give or take... (this was back in 2015).

Vans increased approx $1500-2,000 just in the last 6 months, forget about 2015! I am getting quoted significantly above the 21.5 you mention for Siennas with 45-50k

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 04:18:17 PM »
I have one and know at least 5 others who do, too. It's probably a half-step down from the Sienna and Odyssey, but you can save thousands. My plan was to use it for 5 years and then sell, and it seems to hold its value pretty well.

Thanks. I am glad to hear you guys are happy with it. Makes me more comfortable going ahead with it. As mentioned above; a top notch mechanic told me they are very good vans and he purchased one for his sister (or daughter?). Two other good mechanics I spoke with- one had no opinion and one said the older ones were not good and he doesn't have enough info to say the newer ones are better but they say they are better. So he felt to stick with the Sienna. This is the herd mentality in the frum community. Noone even bothers thinking for themselves, just do what their neighbor did.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 04:18:37 PM »
Consumer reports rates the overall reliability as very good / 4/5
Thank you

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 04:22:53 PM »
...This is the herd mentality in the frum community. Noone even bothers thinking for themselves, just do what their neighbor did.

Soooo why are you coming here asking for your neighbors advice?  ;D
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 04:25:50 PM »
Soooo why are you coming here asking for your neighbors advice?  ;D
I'm not. I'm looking for others that have the van, with positive experience or knowledge of such. Have no neighbors or friends to ask about a Kia  :-\

Offline pointer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »
Just keep in mind. unlike most mini vans, you can not remove the first row of seats.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »
Just keep in mind. unlike most mini vans, you can not remove the first row of seats.
I thought it's the back row that cannot be removed or folded? Any row is annoying though.

Offline pointer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 04:34:01 PM »
I thought it's the back row that cannot be removed or folded? Any row is annoying though.
That would be really bad!
But no, the last row does fold into the floor.
The middle seats are not removable/foldable.

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 04:41:10 PM »
Actually the pacifica is also extremely popular in the frum circles so it's no longer just the sienna and odysees.

I once asked a very busy mechanic on his experience with used minivans, he told me that sienna will have the longest life, a lot of people driving at 250k miles with no issues, odysse is a decent runner up, and the pacifica is the car he makes his parnasah from.. total piece of garbage beyond the first 30-50k miles, only a good option for a lease. He told me to stay away from a used pacifica. I didn't ask him on the sedona as it wasn't relevant at the time.

Prices for used siennas and even odysses are indeed through the roof now.

(And as a btw, speaking of minivans, the 2020 Sienna looks extremely appealing, especially the driver's seat setting and sidebars which is like a SUV and no longer the typical uncomfortable minivan seats. Not on the market yet)

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 04:41:36 PM »
That would be really bad! but no, the last row does go into the floor.
The middle seats are not removable/foldable.
Makes Pesach cleaning somewhat harder. I do also fold one middle seat once a year when traveling to the Castkills and jamming up the van.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 04:43:14 PM »

Back row folds flat into the trunk. Middle row folds in half or can be pushed up a pretty close to the front seats, but cannot be removed.

Thanks. I am glad to hear you guys are happy with it. Makes me more comfortable going ahead with it. As mentioned above; a top notch mechanic told me they are very good vans and he purchased one for his sister (or daughter?). Two other good mechanics I spoke with- one had no opinion and one said the older ones were not good and he doesn't have enough info to say the newer ones are better but they say they are better. So he felt to stick with the Sienna. This is the herd mentality in the frum community. Noone even bothers thinking for themselves, just do what their neighbor did.

The older models aren't great, but they redesigned them a few years ago and they are top-notch now. I actually like it better than the Sienna and Odyssey because it drives more like a car than a minivan. Of the people I know who have the Sedona, I haven't heard any complaints, and some bought on my recommendation, so I'd be the first one they'd tell  :).

Vans increased approx $1500-2,000 just in the last 6 months, forget about 2015! I am getting quoted significantly above the 21.5 you mention for Siennas with 45-50k

The Sedona I have can be sold now at market value for just $1000 less than I paid for it, extra mileage included.

Offline pointer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 04:45:18 PM »
Actually the pacifica is also extremely popular in the frum circles so it's no longer just the sienna and odysees.

I once asked a very busy mechanic on his experience with used minivans, he told me that sienna will have the longest life, a lot of people driving at 250k miles with no issues, odysse is a decent runner up, and the pacifica is the car he makes his parnasah from.. total piece of garbage beyond the first 30-50k miles, only a good option for a lease. He told me to stay away from a used pacifica. I didn't ask him on the sedona as it wasn't relevant at the time.

(And as a btw, speaking of minivans, the 2020 Sienna looks extremely appealing, especially the driver's seat setting and sidebars which is like a SUV and no longer the typical uncomfortable minivan seats. Not on the market yet)
Consumer reports rates the Pacifica's Reliability 1/5!
piece of junk indeed.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 04:45:34 PM »

Correct, Pacifica has become popular too due to good leases, at times. And yes; everyone I speak to says they are a disaster., garbage.

Offline Dovdovmoneytree

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2020, 04:51:26 PM »
Once on the subject- is there any reason to avoid dealers off the internet? I see comparable vans on cars.com craigslist etc priced significantly better ($1500-2000) than what I'm being quoted by the frum dealer, and happens to be much nicer colors than what he's offering me. Yes, color is not my top criteria but if I'm spending some 20k, may as well like the color?? I don't know anything about these dealers but if the Carfax is good, is there any reason to not buy from them?? I mean after all, where is the frum dealer buying it from already?? The auction  ::)