Author Topic: United - Cancel or reschedule?  (Read 506 times)

Offline JackM

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
United - Cancel or reschedule?
« on: September 24, 2020, 11:29:48 AM »
I recently had to cancel my United flight and I wanted to share what I learned about the option of whether to cancel or reschedule

Reschedule
- The advantage of rescheduling is that
  • you can reschedule on a partner airline (even though I had bought the ticket originally with an Electronic Flight Certificate which was only valid on United-operated flights)
  • you don't have to wait to receive a Electronic Travel Certificate or Future Flight Credit before booking your next flight
- The disadvantage of rescheduling is that
  • If rescheduled flight is higher fare, you cannot use a Electronic Travel Certificate or Future Flight Credit to pay the difference (at least you can't online but I didn't try calling an agent to see if they could do it)
  • If rescheduled flight is lower fare, you lose the difference (but Dan has said that if the ticket was issued on 3/2/20 or earlier will get an electronic travel certificate for the difference)

Cancel
- If you cancel, you can elect to receive an Electronic Travel Certificate or a  Future Flight Credit (Dan posted about the differences between the two here https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/united/1-week-left-cancel-take-future-flight-credit-electronic-travel-certificate-cancelling-united-flight/)
- I wanted an ETC. As Dan posted here https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/airlines/united/no-united-hasnt-cancelled-electronic-travel-certificate-refund-just-simplified-get/, Electronic Travel Certificates are not available online. I had to call an agent to cancel the ticket and get the ETC.
- The ETC was emailed to me less than 48 hours after I called. (But I know the last time I cancelled a ticket and requested a ETC, it took much longer. I've seen mentioned on this board that it can take up to 20 days)
- The ETC I got is valid for 2 years from when it was issued
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:56:05 AM by JackM »

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: United - Cancel or reschedule?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 11:26:55 PM »
Wait it out?