Author Topic: Anosmia - solution/treatment  (Read 14293 times)

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
Anosmia - solution/treatment
« on: September 29, 2020, 12:55:02 PM »
Back in March my Aishes Chayil and all of my kids lost taste and smell while I was the only one that did not suffer from Anosmia...but I was the one with the fever and severe congestion. Like most families, there have been some post-COVID complications which some of us have been dealing with but BH we have all recovered.

One of the quirky aspects of the Anosmia is that for at least one family member, certain foods have continued to taste "off" since March, although general taste and smell have returned. The "offensive" foods include splenda, peppers and pineapple. I have spoken with one of my coworkers whose wife also had it and has similar residual offensive flavor issues (he did not have it, nor did any other members of his family).

I am throwing this out to the DDF to see if others have experienced this residual issue and if there are any non-surgical solutions being offered.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: Anosmia - solution/treatment
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 01:13:01 PM »
Back in March my Aishes Chayil and all of my kids lost taste and smell while I was the only one that did not suffer from Anosmia...but I was the one with the fever and severe congestion. Like most families, there have been some post-COVID complications which some of us have been dealing with but BH we have all recovered.

One of the quirky aspects of the Anosmia is that for at least one family member, certain foods have continued to taste "off" since March, although general taste and smell have returned. The "offensive" foods include splenda, peppers and pineapple. I have spoken with one of my coworkers whose wife also had it and has similar residual offensive flavor issues (he did not have it, nor did any other members of his family).

I am throwing this out to the DDF to see if others have experienced this residual issue and if there are any non-surgical solutions being offered.
Someone told me last week they cannot eat peppers anymore. If you’re looking to be in touch with them PM me for contact info.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 01:17:39 PM »
I know a few people who can't stand the taste/smell of hard boiled eggs since then
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 01:19:12 PM »
From Dr Ditchek facebook

Stuart Ditchek

For those people struggling with post COVID-19 difficulty with smell, I thought that you would find this outline from Northwell Health helpful. The original source(citation) for the data is documented at the end of the post.
Smell Loss and Olfactory Training
- A viral infection of the nose or sinuses is one of the reasons people may suddenly lose their
sense of smell. Sometimes patients will recall having had a cold or a flu just prior to losing
their sense of smell. Other times these viral infections are so mild the person may not
remember much at all about having been ill.
- Corona virus 2019 (COVID-19) is one of the viral infections that could lead to smell loss and
there are also lots of other types of viruses that can cause smell loss, e.g., other types of
coronaviruses, rhinoviruses and influenza viruses.
- When people lose their sense of smell, they often feel like they’ve also lost their sense of
taste. Because the flavor of food (ability to make out the difference between watermelon vs.
cherry) is dependent on the ability to smell it. The only ‘tastes’ left are the basic ones of
sweet/salty/sour/bitter that the tongue delivers directly to the brain.
- People are sometimes able to recover their sense of smell after a viral infection. If this is
going to happen, the majority of recovery usually happens in the first several months after
being sick. A slower recovery could possible still happen over the next year or so.
Unfortunately, there are many people who do not recover.
- Losing your sense of smell and taste can really affect a person’s quality of life. It may be
hard to enjoy food and drink. It may be hard to judge personal hygiene. It may be hard to
detect dangerous things such as smoke, natural gas, and food that has turned bad.
- Unfortunately, no medications have been proven to help people recover their sense of smell
after a virus. Even though medications may not be helpful, there is a treatment called
olfactory training (OT) that can be helpful. OT is a very simple protocol that a person can do
themselves at home to help retrain their brain to smell again. OT actually has high-level
evidence showing that it works. OT may not bring all the sense of smell back, but it is simple
and can help many improve.
- Losing the sense of smell and taste can be an early sign of COVID-19 infection and is
sometimes the only symptom people have. If this happens to you without any other
symptoms, consider self-isolating if possible so you do not transmit the infection to others.
If you develop other symptoms of COVID-19 in addition to your smell loss, contact your
healthcare provider to be screened and possibly tested.
This technique of olfactory training (OT) is based on the idea that the nerves responsible for providing our sense of smell can be strengthened through exercise. OT has been shown to be effective in multiple clinical studies. However, these results are averaged across multiple patients and it should be remembered that each individual person may improve by different amounts. The improvement in smell is often slow and occurs over many months, even up to two years.
Technique
A. The training consists of smelling four different odors: rose, eucalyptus, lemon, and clove, twice a day, every day.
1. Choose one odor and smell it for approximately 15 seconds while trying to remember what it once smelled like.
2. Rest for about 10 seconds.
3. Smell the next odor for approximately 15 seconds.
4. Rest for about 10 seconds.
5. Repeat until all 4 odors have been sampled
B. After 3 months switch to a new set of odors: menthol, thyme, tangerine, and jasmine and train with them as described in part A.
C. After 3 months switch to another new set of odors: green tea, bergamot, rosemary, and gardenia and train with them again as described in part A.
Note: if there is a particular smell you want to be able to smell again, add this to your training. The actual substance is not required to produce an effect. Most people purchase essential oils containing the odors listed above. The advantage is ease of use and ability to cap the bottles to prevent gradual decreasing strength of the odor. These can be purchased through multiple online vendors, some holistic medicine shops, and health food stores.
Source: International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology, Vol. 10, No. 7, July 2020

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 01:23:09 PM »
From Dr Ditchek facebook

Stuart Ditchek

For those people struggling with post COVID-19 difficulty with smell, I thought that you would find this outline from Northwell Health helpful. The original source(citation) for the data is documented at the end of the post.
Smell Loss and Olfactory Training
- A viral infection of the nose or sinuses is one of the reasons people may suddenly lose their
sense of smell. Sometimes patients will recall having had a cold or a flu just prior to losing
their sense of smell. Other times these viral infections are so mild the person may not
remember much at all about having been ill.
- Corona virus 2019 (COVID-19) is one of the viral infections that could lead to smell loss and
there are also lots of other types of viruses that can cause smell loss, e.g., other types of
coronaviruses, rhinoviruses and influenza viruses.
- When people lose their sense of smell, they often feel like they’ve also lost their sense of
taste. Because the flavor of food (ability to make out the difference between watermelon vs.
cherry) is dependent on the ability to smell it. The only ‘tastes’ left are the basic ones of
sweet/salty/sour/bitter that the tongue delivers directly to the brain.
- People are sometimes able to recover their sense of smell after a viral infection. If this is
going to happen, the majority of recovery usually happens in the first several months after
being sick. A slower recovery could possible still happen over the next year or so.
Unfortunately, there are many people who do not recover.
- Losing your sense of smell and taste can really affect a person’s quality of life. It may be
hard to enjoy food and drink. It may be hard to judge personal hygiene. It may be hard to
detect dangerous things such as smoke, natural gas, and food that has turned bad.
- Unfortunately, no medications have been proven to help people recover their sense of smell
after a virus. Even though medications may not be helpful, there is a treatment called
olfactory training (OT) that can be helpful. OT is a very simple protocol that a person can do
themselves at home to help retrain their brain to smell again. OT actually has high-level
evidence showing that it works. OT may not bring all the sense of smell back, but it is simple
and can help many improve.
- Losing the sense of smell and taste can be an early sign of COVID-19 infection and is
sometimes the only symptom people have. If this happens to you without any other
symptoms, consider self-isolating if possible so you do not transmit the infection to others.
If you develop other symptoms of COVID-19 in addition to your smell loss, contact your
healthcare provider to be screened and possibly tested.
This technique of olfactory training (OT) is based on the idea that the nerves responsible for providing our sense of smell can be strengthened through exercise. OT has been shown to be effective in multiple clinical studies. However, these results are averaged across multiple patients and it should be remembered that each individual person may improve by different amounts. The improvement in smell is often slow and occurs over many months, even up to two years.
Technique
A. The training consists of smelling four different odors: rose, eucalyptus, lemon, and clove, twice a day, every day.
1. Choose one odor and smell it for approximately 15 seconds while trying to remember what it once smelled like.
2. Rest for about 10 seconds.
3. Smell the next odor for approximately 15 seconds.
4. Rest for about 10 seconds.
5. Repeat until all 4 odors have been sampled
B. After 3 months switch to a new set of odors: menthol, thyme, tangerine, and jasmine and train with them as described in part A.
C. After 3 months switch to another new set of odors: green tea, bergamot, rosemary, and gardenia and train with them again as described in part A.
Note: if there is a particular smell you want to be able to smell again, add this to your training. The actual substance is not required to produce an effect. Most people purchase essential oils containing the odors listed above. The advantage is ease of use and ability to cap the bottles to prevent gradual decreasing strength of the odor. These can be purchased through multiple online vendors, some holistic medicine shops, and health food stores.
Source: International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology, Vol. 10, No. 7, July 2020

Thanks - these are some good suggestions.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 02:59:12 PM »
I lost my sense of smell after I didn't have any other symptoms. It's been over a week. Will I have to do this therapy, or it might just come back on its own?

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 03:05:45 PM »
I lost my sense of smell after I didn't have any other symptoms. It's been over a week. Will I have to do this therapy, or it might just come back on its own?

Most people get it back within a few weeks. The only way to know is wait and see... I have one relative who hasn't made a borei minei bisamim since Purim, and another with continued altered taste, but the rest were back to normal within 2-8 weeks.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 03:16:34 PM »
Most people get it back within a few weeks. The only way to know is wait and see... I have one relative who hasn't made a borei minei bisamim since Purim, and another with continued altered taste, but the rest were back to normal within 2-8 weeks.
Yikes. Thanks. Let's hope I get it back soon... I unfortunately get colds all the time, but I never had loss of smell as a symptom..

Online EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 05:08:38 PM »

For my 4 kids, most tastes and smells returned over the first two months post CVOVID, although they really made the best of it and had interesting conversations around the table where they ranked how strong they tasted the food on a 1-10 scale.

Unfortunately for my AC, she is still dealing with food that tastes off, almost six months post :-( but  I am intrigued by the therapy.

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 05:17:34 PM »
Someone told me last week they cannot eat peppers anymore. If you’re looking to be in touch with them PM me for contact info.
my brother. peppers taste like poison and he used to love peppers. he says lettuce lately is also pretty bad
#TYH

Offline maxie m

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 07:10:16 PM »
I Lost all smell and taste last Thursday, really annoying. Hopefully comes back soon be'h
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 08:48:02 PM »
I Lost all smell and taste last Thursday, really annoying. Hopefully comes back soon be'h
I think it’s COVID-19. It’s going around, and I hear it’s catchy.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 09:14:24 PM »
I lost my smell when I got sick back in March.
I thought I got it back, but I'm realizing that it's probably only at half capacity. There are certain strong smells that people around me will mention and I cannot smell it at all.
(anecdotally, I heard that Gefen sold a huge amount of Besomim pallets after the first wave. I guess everyone thought their besomim had gone bad).

Regarding the taste, I myself am fine but I know several people that are complaining of this. They state that certain foods (I've heard eggs for sure) taste horrible to them since they had Corona.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 09:37:10 PM »
I know a few people who can't stand the taste/smell of hard boiled eggs since then
Never was able to :)
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline maxie m

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2020, 09:39:07 PM »
I think it’s COVID-19. It’s going around, and I hear it’s catchy.
yeah so they say.      (Tested positive)
Dumb people learn from their own mistakes,smart people,from the mistakes of others

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2020, 09:41:31 PM »
Never was able to :)
aaaand we found the real patient zero!
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2020, 09:42:43 PM »
aaaand we found the real patient zero!
In that case I might have had it 3x :D
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2020, 12:06:01 PM »
Its been a month since the last post and I am wondering if anyone has any success with any treatments.

Unfortunately the list of formerly pleasant and now unpleasant foods has not seen any improvement, although its now seven months since recovery.

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 01:54:42 PM »
Its been a month since the last post and I am wondering if anyone has any success with any treatments.

Unfortunately the list of formerly pleasant and now unpleasant foods has not seen any improvement, although its now seven months since recovery.
Zinc and Vitamin C have worked for our family to restore fully. Also heard toothpaste, but that must burn a bit up the nose.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.