Author Topic: Anosmia - solution/treatment  (Read 14270 times)

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
Re: Anosmia - solution/treatment
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2020, 02:30:45 PM »
Zinc and Vitamin C have worked for our family to restore fully. Also heard toothpaste, but that must burn a bit up the nose.

If I can ask personal questions (feel free to not answer or to respond via PM):

How old were the people who lost taste and smell?
How long after recovery from COVID did they start the zinc and vitamin c?

Offline moka

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2020, 04:04:05 PM »
Zinc and Vitamin C have worked for our family to restore fully. Also heard toothpaste, but that must burn a bit up the nose.
what dosage?

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2020, 10:05:02 PM »
Its been a month since the last post and I am wondering if anyone has any success with any treatments.

Unfortunately the list of formerly pleasant and now unpleasant foods has not seen any improvement, although its now seven months since recovery.

Zinc (25-50 mg per day) + quercetin

Was taking zinc for months and smell was getting better, but on a very small scale; way too slowly. Since I added quercetin, recovery picked up massive speed... Still have a way to go, but getting way better every day bH.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 11:48:04 PM »
Zinc (25-50 mg per day) + quercetin

Was taking zinc for months and smell was getting better, but on a very small scale; way too slowly. Since I added quercetin, recovery picked up massive speed... Still have a way to go, but getting way better every day bH.
That also sounds like what would have happened if it were improving with zero intervention, so how do you know zinc helped?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Ellen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2020, 12:07:45 AM »
That also sounds like what would have happened if it were improving with zero intervention, so how do you know zinc helped?
I don't.
I don't know for sure.
What I can say is that I completely lost my sense of smell. Couldn't smell things burning right near me. Sniffed apple cider vinegar and felt nothing, when before that I would gag if someone opened the bottle a few feet away from me. In the beginning I took zinc for a bit, but stopped after a month or so. I was convinced that my sense of smell will come back on it's own eventually, just like my taste did. But when 4 months passed and I was still smelling zero, I started taking the zinc again. My smell started returning extremely slightly. I held on and hoped it would restore eventually. Added quercetin about 2-3 months ago and I see a much faster bigger difference than I did till now.
Could it be it's the passage of time? Could be.
But something about my pattern of stopping and restarting zinc, followed by the quercetin, and my sense returning makes me feel like the 2 are linked.

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2020, 12:29:30 AM »
I lost my taste and smell on chol hamoed sukkos. While I was sick I was taking zinc, vitamin c and quercitin.
I continued to take zinc a couple times a week and figured my smell would eventually come back. Taste came back like a week after sukkos but couldn't smell anything unless I put my face into it. I couldn't smell anything cooking, frying, burning, diapers, cleansers, etc.
I saw an instagram post from rabbishlomofarhi where he said that he took boswellia pills for 7 days and he got his smell back. I figured there is nothing to loose so I ordered them and started to take them like 2-3 days before Chanukah. Took 2-3 per day and by day 6 I started to smell! First day of Chanukah I couldn't smell any latkes frying but by the last day I walked into the house and I smelled exactly what was cooking! The day I started smelling felt so good! Was enjoying my co-workers grilled cheese smell and the others tuna smell..
I used the pill from the attached link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TMQ3RW8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Someone told me in the name of someone else that her herbalists said it can possibly cause cycle issues for woman so maybe ask your local vitamin store before recommending to females. 

Still trying to take it everyday but BH my smell is back, not sure if it's as strong as before but i am definitely aware of the smells around me.

Eta: instagram post that prompted me to buy it. https://www.instagram.com/p/CIWucNxpzVc/?igshid=1iwe2ezz0969u
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 12:37:06 AM by Crazy tools »

Online yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2020, 01:28:51 AM »
Heard a lot of good things about Boswellia as well, ordered it but Amazon canceled. My smell is somewhat back but my taste is altered and most of my food tastes pretty bad, I’m hoping Boswellia can help for that as well.
Visibly Jewish

Offline pbf

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2020, 09:29:53 AM »
I had COVID back in March and lost my smell. It came back a few weeks later but definitely not the same, I would say at about 50% capacity.
I noticed that about 3 weeks ago I started smelling things strongly again. So it's been about 8 months and I feel like it's fully back now, no intervention on my part.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2020, 09:36:19 AM »
I had COVID back in March and lost my smell. It came back a few weeks later but definitely not the same, I would say at about 50% capacity.
I noticed that about 3 weeks ago I started smelling things strongly again. So it's been about 8 months and I feel like it's fully back now, no intervention on my part.

But if you would have taken zinc for two months after 6 months, you would have gotten it back quicker

Offline monoso

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2020, 09:52:06 AM »
lost smell in march and took about 3 months to come back, only came back fully in the past few weeks though

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2020, 10:15:25 AM »
Heard a lot of good things about Boswellia as well, ordered it but Amazon canceled. My smell is somewhat back but my taste is altered and most of my food tastes pretty bad, I’m hoping Boswellia can help for that as well.

This was why I started this thread.

Back in March my Aishes Chayil and all of my kids lost taste and smell while I was the only one that did not suffer from Anosmia...but I was the one with the fever and severe congestion. Like most families, there have been some post-COVID complications which some of us have been dealing with but BH we have all recovered.

One of the quirky aspects of the Anosmia is that for at least one family member, certain foods have continued to taste "off" since March, although general taste and smell have returned. The "offensive" foods include splenda, peppers and pineapple. I have spoken with one of my coworkers whose wife also had it and has similar residual offensive flavor issues (he did not have it, nor did any other members of his family).

I am throwing this out to the DDF to see if others have experienced this residual issue and if there are any non-surgical solutions being offered.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2020, 11:50:08 AM »
Seems like I will just need to wait to get it back. I have my sense of smell back partially. I can smell things if I focus on them, but barely.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2020, 02:02:44 PM »
This was why I started this thread.

Still haven’t found anything? Tried boswellia? My list of unpalatable foods includes almost everything right now.
Visibly Jewish

Offline theyankel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2020, 09:21:26 PM »
Most people get it back within a few weeks. The only way to know is wait and see... I have one relative who hasn't made a borei minei bisamim since Purim, and another with continued altered taste, but the rest were back to normal within 2-8 weeks.
there is an opinion that says u can still make the brocho bec the Neshama enjoys it and the whole concept of besomim on motzei shabbos is for the neshama (yeseira) to begin with

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2020, 09:28:41 PM »
there is an opinion that says u can still make the brocho bec the Neshama enjoys it and the whole concept of besomim on motzei shabbos is for the neshama (yeseira) to begin with
Source?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2020, 10:11:41 PM »
Still haven’t found anything? Tried boswellia? My list of unpalatable foods includes almost everything right now.

So sorry to hear. My kids started making a list on the fridge of foods that my AC thinks don't taste the same anymore. At least she thinks its funny.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2020, 10:26:10 PM »
Source?

Its based on a unique (but not widely accepted) reading of the gemara

https://jewishvues.com/articles/for-those-who-dont-smell/

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2021, 08:20:32 AM »
Would like to document what I’ve been going through recently because it seems pretty unusual, maybe others can chime in.

Had COVID symptoms almost a month ago, about 2 weeks later when I felt better, my taste was altered. Not lost; but altered in a way where I can still taste the food I’m eating, but my taste also includes an additional indescribable putrid flavor in a lot of basic foods and ingredients. And it’s always the same terrible flavor no matter the food.

More so, I can usually smell when a food has this putrid flavor, so I usually sniff to see if something is edible. But sometimes the smell is so strong that at times I have been literally gagging from shabbos cooking and the like.

The strength of the putridity depends on the food, certain foods like meat and potatoes have really strong smell/taste. Other foods might have a slight flavor that just grows with each bite until I get disgusted.

I’ve been taking 1k mg Boswellia for 10 days but haven’t seen any effect.

My list of unedibles includes::
Meat, poultry, potatoes, eggs, garlic, tomato-based sauce, soy sauce, coffee (not as bad but I force it down) and other ingredients that I haven’t pinpointed yet.

Things that taste normal:
Bread, rice, pancakes, waffles, plain pasta, dairy products, oatmeal, granola bars, candy, some vegetables.

I wish I can find a common factor within either list so I can predict what will taste good before spending time buying/preparing it and throwing it out.

Bottom line, it’s really difficult to continue like this for a long while, Shabbos is not the same, can’t go out anywhere to eat, can’t eat any meat or my favorite foods and snacks. If I lost my taste it would make things 1000x better...I really hope this goes away quickly.
Visibly Jewish

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2021, 08:30:46 AM »

My list of unedibles includes::
Meat, poultry, potatoes, eggs, garlic, tomato-based sauce, soy sauce, coffee (not as bad but I force it down) and other ingredients that I haven’t pinpointed yet.

Things that taste normal:
Bread, rice, pancakes, waffles, plain pasta, dairy products, oatmeal, granola bars, candy, some vegetables.
Sorry that you're going through this. 
Your normal foods are bland, and all or most of your unedibles contain umami.  Especially high I think in meat, tomato, soy sauce.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
Anosmia - solution/treatment
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2021, 08:35:10 AM »
Sorry that you're going through this. 
Your normal foods are bland, and all or most of your unedibles contain umami.  Especially high I think in meat, tomato, soy sauce.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami
I was thinking the same - but potatoes aren't umami though...?

@yuneeq Do all potatoes have the putrid taste? Perhaps only ones prepared with other umami ingredients?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 08:44:24 AM by Euclid »