Author Topic: Deblasio Shutting 9 ZIP Codes Again  (Read 91035 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Deblasio Shutting 9 ZIP Codes Again
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2020, 06:32:55 PM »
Let's start with new hospitalizations.

When that has gone up to uncalled for levels then most ppl will agree action needs to be taken

Most ppl don't really care about new cases or positivity rates especially if many/most are mild.
Won't that be too late to do anything?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2020, 06:41:06 PM »
Won't that be too late to do anything?

Obviously not to wait to the point we were at in the spring. They should set a threshold that when new hospitalizations exceed that it means there are too many serious cases. The number can and should be far below what we had then. But if there are only a couple of new hospitalizations a day then its obviously not concerning and means that majority of cases are mild.

Being hospitalized nowadays is not a sure death sentence like it was back then and I would still rather say to use hospitalizations over new cases as a metric.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2020, 06:50:06 PM »
Obviously not to wait to the point we were at in the spring. They should set a threshold that when new hospitalizations exceed that it means there are too many serious cases. The number can and should be far below what we had then. But if there are only a couple of new hospitalizations a day then its obviously not concerning and means that majority of cases are mild.

Being hospitalized nowadays is not a sure death sentence like it was back then and I would still rather say to use hospitalizations over new cases as a metric.
Who's & how many lives should we sacrifice till we reach this magic number of hospitalizations you speak of ? Some of these people being hospitalized won’t make it out.
BTW in one of hatzolahs warnings they begged people to go to the hospital & not wait it out till it’s very severe. Seems like people are avoiding hospitals at all costs.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2020, 06:55:28 PM »

Ahhh so people who are incapable of drawing any fine line will suddenly cooperate when some magical number is hit. Yup sounds like something sure to work. Just like some who said that when we reach 25 cases a day we should take it seriously all take it seriously now, right?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2020, 07:04:00 PM »
Let's start with new hospitalizations.

When that has gone up to uncalled for levels then most ppl will agree action needs to be taken

Most ppl don't really care about new cases or positivity rates especially if many/most are mild.

The amount of hospitalizations in Jewish communities is much higher than elsewhere. Are you proposing that we need to first fill up the hospitals with Jews before we can start caring?
Visibly Jewish

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2020, 07:11:31 PM »
Who's & how many lives should we sacrifice till we reach this magic number of hospitalizations you speak of ? Some of these people being hospitalized won’t make it out.
BTW in one of hatzolahs warnings they begged people to go to the hospital & not wait it out till it’s very severe. Seems like people are avoiding hospitals at all costs.

Being hospitalized is not a death sentence as you intimate. No need to sacrifice any lives.

But there's also no need for the current alarm bells. With schools being the first thing to go. Uncalled for.

What is called for is enforcement. I'll repeat what others have already said - wear masks ALL the time out of your house. Period.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2020, 07:22:52 PM »
Being hospitalized is not a death sentence as you intimate. No need to sacrifice any lives.

But there's also no need for the current alarm bells. With schools being the first thing to go. Uncalled for.

What is called for is enforcement. I'll repeat what others have already said - wear masks ALL the time out of your house. Period.
Sounds like someone’s been listening to Cuomo’s briefing.

Hate to tell you, there have already been far too many lives lost in just the last week or two.
But if there are only a couple of new hospitalizations a day then its obviously not concerning and means that majority of cases are mild.
The majority of cases are and have *always* been mild, but are you seriously saying that a couple of new hospitalizations a day is “obviously not concerning”?! Please tell me I misread somehow.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2020, 07:23:55 PM »
The amount of hospitalizations in Jewish communities is much higher than elsewhere. Are you proposing that we need to first fill up the hospitals with Jews before we can start caring?

G-d forbid.

But kids going to school are not the problem. The adults are. So what's the point of closing the schools?

Perhaps if they gave ppl stats on hospitalizations in these zips, ppl would take heed. My point is that new cases which are mostly mild doesn't mean much - it means as much as how many new cases of strep or ear infections there currently are.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2020, 07:24:50 PM »
Sounds like someone’s been listening to Cuomo’s briefing

Not even a half a word.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2020, 07:26:02 PM »

1) It is time for alarm as there are many ill out there. If you need names for tehillim I’ll provide some for you.

2) How could they properly enforce it when people refuse to listen ? You want them to act like the Israeli police ?

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2020, 07:28:41 PM »
G-d forbid.

But kids going to school are not the problem. The adults are. So what's the point of closing the schools?

Perhaps if they gave ppl stats on hospitalizations in these zips, ppl would take heed. My point is that new cases which are mostly mild doesn't mean much - it means as much as how many new cases of strep or ear infections there currently are.
That’s idiotic. COVID doesn’t cause death or serious illness in the great majority of people it infects, but it does in an unacceptably high number of cases. In no way does that make it like strep or ear infections.

Once more, for those that still don’t get it: In the vast majority of cases, COVID will cause mild illnesses (with unknown long term side effects). In an unacceptably high percentage, it will cause serious illness and death. And the same infection that causes the mild effects in one individual will cause the death of another, more vulnerable individual. The two are not separable.

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2020, 07:29:21 PM »
Perhaps if they gave ppl stats on hospitalizations in these zips, ppl would take heed.
Not a chance. People can’t be bothered

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2020, 07:36:41 PM »
Just got an email from my daughters' school saying that all students 3 and over, and their families, should get tested tomorrow, as a negative test will likely be required in order to attend school after YT.

Need to buy shares in the companies making these tests.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2020, 07:39:09 PM »
That’s idiotic. COVID doesn’t cause death or serious illness in the great majority of people it infects, but it does in an unacceptably high number of cases. In no way does that make it like strep or ear infections.

Once more, for those that still don’t get it: In the vast majority of cases, COVID will cause mild illnesses (with unknown long term side effects). In an unacceptably high percentage, it will cause serious illness and death. And the same infection that causes the mild effects in one individual will cause the death of another, more vulnerable individual. The two are not separable.

So your answer to that is to close the schools??

I'm sure that will totally solve the problem and we will stop seeing the serious illnesses and deaths caused to some.

From your mouth to G-d's ears.

And just to be clear: Even 1 death is 1 too many.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2020, 07:39:59 PM »
So your answer to that is to close the schools??

I'm sure that will totally solve the problem and we will stop seeing the serious illnesses and deaths caused to some.

From your mouth to G-d's ears.

And just to be clear: Even 1 death is 1 too many.
Did I say to close the schools?

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2020, 07:40:33 PM »
Just got an email from my daughters' school saying that all students 3 and over, and their families, should get tested tomorrow, as a negative test will likely be required in order to attend school after YT.

Need to buy shares in the companies making these tests.

I'm assuming your school is outside of the 9 affected zip codes.

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2020, 07:47:57 PM »
I'm assuming your school is outside of the 9 affected zip codes.

Correct. We are 11213. I am guessing the local schools at 11225 and 11203 (and the other schools at 11213) will be sending out similar emails.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »
G-d forbid.

IMHO schools aren’t causing the outbreaks, but closing a school is a real and required consequence of an outbreak. IOW, when things are calm you should not expect a school to be the cause of new cases, but once dozens of kids infected locally are coming into school with COVID they will transmit it and get teachers, faculty, and students sick. Pandemics have consequences.
Visibly Jewish

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2020, 07:56:00 PM »
IMHO schools aren’t causing the outbreaks, but closing a school is a real and required consequence of an outbreak. IOW, when things are calm you should not expect a school to be the cause of new cases, but once dozens of kids infected locally are coming into school with COVID they will transmit it and get teachers, faculty, and students sick. Pandemics have consequences.
This applies to shuls and simchos as well. The question is if there is a safe alternative, more extreme than just masks and SD but less extreme than temporary total shutdown.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »
This applies to shuls and simchos as well. The question is if there is a safe alternative, more extreme than just masks and SD but less extreme than temporary total shutdown.
I think simchos and shuls can definitely be a cause of an outbreak.