Author Topic: Deblasio Shutting 9 ZIP Codes Again  (Read 91133 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Deblasio Shutting 9 ZIP Codes Again
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2020, 08:03:59 PM »
This applies to shuls and simchos as well. The question is if there is a safe alternative, more extreme than just masks and SD but less extreme than temporary total shutdown.

I've been suggesting that alternative for months. It might not work on a global level, but should work and be relatively easy to implement on a communal/shul/simcha hall level.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2020, 08:04:23 PM »
This applies to shuls and simchos as well. The question is if there is a safe alternative, more extreme than just masks and SD but less extreme than temporary total shutdown.

Shuls maybe, simchos, depends on the event. Full blown indoor weddings are absolutely causing outbreaks. Smaller, safer events should be fine - if there isn’t an outbreak brewing nearby.
Visibly Jewish

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2020, 08:06:12 PM »
G-d forbid.

But kids going to school are not the problem. The adults are. So what's the point of closing the schools?

Perhaps if they gave ppl stats on hospitalizations in these zips, ppl would take heed. My point is that new cases which are mostly mild doesn't mean much - it means as much as how many new cases of strep or ear infections there currently are.
I personally know of kids who caught from their rebbi/teacher and passed it to the family.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2020, 08:07:21 PM »
Now certain stores are not allowing "families" from these zip codes to shop.

https://app.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?owner=20026200&location=PARK%20SLOPE

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2020, 08:07:43 PM »
Being hospitalized is not a death sentence as you intimate. No need to sacrifice any lives.

Not a death sentence but most definitively sakonas nefashos. How do you plan on translating x amount of hospitalizations into no lives sacrificed?

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2020, 08:07:59 PM »
I personally know of kids who caught from their rebbi/teacher and passed it to the family.
But most kids don’t get very sick so that’s not a problem! /s
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline junion

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2020, 08:12:00 PM »

https://app.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?owner=20026200&location=PARK%20SLOPE
Is this legal?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2020, 08:12:17 PM »

Perhaps a certain AG can weigh in on the legality of excluding these zip codes. ;)

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2020, 08:13:11 PM »
So your answer to that is to close the schools??

I'm sure that will totally solve the problem and we will stop seeing the serious illnesses and deaths caused to some.

From your mouth to G-d's ears.

And just to be clear: Even 1 death is 1 too many.

It was SO predictable that schools will close due to the carelessness that people had. You don't want the schools to close? Don't create a situation where it becomes inevitable!

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2020, 08:15:39 PM »
It was SO predictable that schools will close due to the carelessness that people had. You don't want the schools to close? Don't create a situation where it becomes inevitable!
It was predicted,on this very forum for at least 6 weeks

Offline Luvisrael

• View Profile

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2020, 08:29:50 PM »
08701 may be next  https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=118498.msg2332176#msg2332176
Not really likely although I did overhear some very prominent Lakewood officials discussing some agitating goings-on with the Governor’s office today

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2020, 09:05:12 PM »

Who cares what I want or for that matter what anyone else "wants"?

The point is that closing schools is not the solution regardless of if it was predicted or inevitable.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2020, 09:05:32 PM »
Who cares what I want or for that matter what anyone else "wants"?

The point is that closing schools is not the solution regardless of if it was predicted or inevitable.
Source?

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2020, 09:08:10 PM »
If you listen to the full news conference Cuomo said clearly that zip codes are the “rough draft”. The State is going to refine that in the next days so they can shut down for example the satmar blocks in Williamsburg or the Jewish blocks in Flatbush, even those extending into other zip codes, while lifting the restrictions on the rest of the zip code. He spent some time elaborating on this. So for those who think the State is locking down Far Rockaway until the 878, and Lawrence and the Five Towns will be left alone, think again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dn0_yoh1ifo

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2020, 09:09:25 PM »

Nice way to turn down the Frum families who want to go there for a chol hamoed trip.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2020, 09:11:19 PM »
If you listen to the full news conference Cuomo said clearly that zip codes are the “rough draft”. The State is going to refine that in the next days so they can shut down for example the satmar blocks in Williamsburg or the Jewish blocks in Flatbush, even those extending into other zip codes, while lifting the restrictions on the rest of the zip code. He spent some time elaborating on this. So for those who think the State is locking down Far Rockaway until the 878, and Lawrence and the Five Towns will be left alone, think again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dn0_yoh1ifo

Lawrence and the 5 towns will be treated differently, perhaps similar to other hotspots in Rockland/Orange counties. All 20 zip codes in the two zones were identified by Deblasio and are in NYC.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline SayWhat

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2020, 09:13:03 PM »
It was predicted,on this very forum for at least 6 weeks

He is 100% right. I think the one thing we can all agree on is that we don't want another shutdown. But if this blows up to where it was March/April time there will be another shutdown. So we can either take the basic precautions now like mask wearing, social distancing & avoiding large indoor gatherings or the govt will enact another shutdown. Which one is it going to be?

I'm not in favor of this shutdown, but it was predicated by myself as well as others weeks ago - it didn't take a genius to see this coming and we don't really have anyone to blame but our selves.

Something I can't understand. Hatzalah will be Mechal Shabbos for a Sofek Pikuach Nefesh, & I believe there is a pretty liberal interpretation of Sofek Pikuach Nefesh (each Hatzalah organization my have slightly different guidelines). If the shiur to be Mechal Shabbos for a Sofek Pikuach Nefesh is 1 in 100 or 1 in 500 or 1 in 1,000, what is the Shiur (risk of death) needed to reach the level of Sofek Pikuach Nefesh required to wear a mask? We are allowed to be Mechal Shabbos for a deep cut because maybe it will get infected but we won't wear a mask to possibly prevent the spread of a deadly disease, even if it is only dangerous to a small minority?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2020, 09:16:47 PM »
Just got an email from my daughters' school saying that all students 3 and over, and their families, should get tested tomorrow, as a negative test will likely be required in order to attend school after YT.

Need to buy shares in the companies making these tests.

This business with the students needing a negative test to attend school is BS, it’s just to “scare” people into coming to test so that they get a high turnout. The entire purpose of this exercise is to lower the positivity rate, which is why they discourage anyone with any symptoms from attending. Same as is being done in other communities

In the event of a shutdown, if a recent negative test result will be required to attend school once the state is ready to do so, the odds are super slim they’ll accept results dated 10/6, which would be before schools in this zipcode were even shut down.

The silly irony is that even a politically motivated testing drive like this could R”L cause COVID spread. Unless they have strict enforcement, which I doubt they will, it will be yet another crowded community event where most people aren’t masked.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2020, 09:17:20 PM »
I'm not in favor of this shutdown, but it was predicated by myself as well as others weeks ago - it didn't take a genius to see this coming and we don't really have anyone to blame but our selves.

Something I can't understand. Hatzalah will be Mechal Shabbos for a Sofek Pikuach Nefesh, & I believe there is a pretty liberal interpretation of Sofek Pikuach Nefesh (each Hatzalah organization my have slightly different guidelines). If the shiur to be Mechal Shabbos for a Sofek Pikuach Nefesh is 1 in 100 or 1 in 500 or 1 in 1,000, what is the Shiur (risk of death) needed to reach the level of Sofek Pikuach Nefesh required to wear a mask? We are allowed to be Mechal Shabbos for a deep cut because maybe it will get infected but we won't wear a mask to possibly prevent the spread of a deadly disease, even if it is only dangerous to a small minority?
Apparently pikuach nefesh isn’t doichah personal comfort. Pathetic