Author Topic: Deblasio Shutting 9 ZIP Codes Again  (Read 91027 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Deblasio Shutting 9 ZIP Codes Again
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2020, 09:17:49 PM »
Who cares what I want or for that matter what anyone else "wants"?

The point is that closing schools is not the solution regardless of if it was predicted or inevitable.
How is that the point? I think the point is that some felt the need to flaunt all restrictions even though it was very obvious that this would be the result. You want to place blame? Look at them! It is starting to sound like you can look in the mirror I'd you want to see who is to blame.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2020, 09:21:28 PM »
I'm not in favor of this shutdown, but it was predicated by myself as well as others weeks ago - it didn't take a genius to see this coming and we don't really have anyone to blame but our selves.

Something I can't understand. Hatzalah will be Mechal Shabbos for a Sofek Pikuach Nefesh, & I believe there is a pretty liberal interpretation of Sofek Pikuach Nefesh (each Hatzalah organization my have slightly different guidelines). If the shiur to be Mechal Shabbos for a Sofek Pikuach Nefesh is 1 in 100 or 1 in 500 or 1 in 1,000, what is the Shiur (risk of death) needed to reach the level of Sofek Pikuach Nefesh required to wear a mask? We are allowed to be Mechal Shabbos for a deep cut because maybe it will get infected but we won't wear a mask to possibly prevent the spread of a deadly disease, even if it is only dangerous to a small minority?
One difference is a safek befonov or loi befonov.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2020, 09:26:49 PM »
Lawrence and the 5 towns will be treated differently, perhaps similar to other hotspots in Rockland/Orange counties. All 20 zip codes in the two zones were identified by Deblasio and are in NYC.
Yes but it seems that Cuomo is taking it a step further. He said it subsequently came up in discussions with other officials that zip codes are imprecise and the wrong way to do it. Cuomo said he agreed and that’s why he went with the zip codes temporarily as a rough draft. He is tasking officials with going beyond the imprecise zip codes in the near future.

Here’s where it can get a bit dangerous almost like gerrymandering a voting district. If you have a standalone cluster of satmar addresses that are midway between another satmar cluster and a black neighborhood, do you draw a line so it lumps the cluster together with the immediate black neighbors, or do you say it’s those jews again and draw the line around the whole satmar neighborhood. It becomes very subjective and subject to bias.

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2020, 09:31:57 PM »
How is that the point? I think the point is that some felt the need to flaunt all restrictions even though it was very obvious that this would be the result. You want to place blame? Look at them! It is starting to sound like you can look in the mirror I'd you want to see who is to blame.

Why does this have to spiral into a blame game and/or finger pointing? I wasn't doing anything of the sort, nor should you.

I've worn a mask throughout and even did so at home when I developed a slight cold just to be on the safe side.

All I'm saying is that closing schools is not the solution  - not for bringing down hospitalizations or deaths nor for bringing ppl into compliance.

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2020, 09:34:36 PM »
Nice way to turn down the Frum families who want to go there for a chol hamoed trip.
Yup, thats how I found out about it... A friend went today with his family and they kicked them out. Even though the store was empty.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2020, 09:49:50 PM »
Yup, thats how I found out about it... A friend went today with his family and they kicked them out. Even though the store was empty.

Are they requiring proof of address? Or discriminating on sight?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2020, 09:52:12 PM »
According to their site they’re requiring ID.

Offline whacked1

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2020, 09:55:29 PM »
According to their site they’re requiring ID.
My friend was not asked for ID. It can be they updated their site after

Yes, they were all wearing masks

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2020, 09:58:06 PM »
My friend was not asked for ID. It can be they updated their site after

Yes, they were all wearing masks
They definitely changed something on the site very recently. So they just threw him out for being jewish ?

Offline whacked1

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2020, 10:04:51 PM »
They definitely changed something on the site very recently. So they just threw him out for being jewish ?
They said due to lack of reservation. They refused to speak to him further.

Offline Boruch Parnes

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 05, 2020, 10:53:26 PM »
What will closing stores help   everyone will just go shopping in other zipcodes and spread it to the rest of the city

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2020, 11:02:13 PM »
What will closing stores help   everyone will just go shopping in other zipcodes and spread it to the rest of the city
Nobody ever accused him of having a brain.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #152 on: October 06, 2020, 12:08:04 AM »
The amount of hospitalizations in Jewish communities is much higher than elsewhere. Are you proposing that we need to first fill up the hospitals with Jews before we can start caring?
You talk passionately in support of new rules and closures.  What do you propose?  Full closure until what point?   Asking put of curiosity,  not in an argumentative way
#TYH

Offline TimT

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2020, 12:40:59 AM »

Offline whacked1

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2020, 12:45:56 AM »

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2020, 01:00:17 AM »
poof ;)

Wow, that was fast. Must have gotten some heat from somewhere.

Offline yitzgar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2020, 01:02:33 AM »
This doesn't really address the root of the problem. It's basically cancel culture, which doesn't do anything to address the underlying feelings which are worse than the symptoms imo. But as long as everyone can go paint pottery we should be happy, right?

Offline whacked1

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2020, 01:19:42 AM »
This doesn't really address the root of the problem. It's basically cancel culture, which doesn't do anything to address the underlying feelings which are worse than the symptoms imo. But as long as everyone can go paint pottery we should be happy, right?
Root of the problem being anti semitism? You will never get rid of that. The issue is when people feel it is acceptable to express their anti-Semitism with the cover of safety. That has the potential to blow up really fast. So for now the people that made a big deal about it behind the scenes did good by preventing others (even neighbors) from doing the same.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2020, 01:45:40 AM »
You talk passionately in support of new rules and closures.  What do you propose?  Full closure until what point?   Asking put of curiosity,  not in an argumentative way

I don’t like the idea of shutdowns, they are reactionary and I believe that simple precautionary measures are much easier to swallow. But shutdowns were always inevitable based on the guidelines that our local governments have implemented and should have never been ignored. Diblasio didn’t shut down the schools, the Jewish communities did.

Honestly after seeing how reckless everyone has been despite our recent history and countless warnings, leading to a huge outbreak, I’m not convinced it’s entirely the wrong move. When a school has dozens of cases, countless families will be safer with the school (and other vectors) closed.

Let me pose a theoretical question - if a school was able to operate without any interruptions or impositions from anyone, as long as each participating parent signs a waiver that they will not use hospitals or Hatzalah for COVID related issues in their family, how many would sign that waiver? Would you sign? If no, why not?
Visibly Jewish

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2020, 02:04:16 AM »
I don’t like the idea of shutdowns, they are reactionary and I believe that simple precautionary measures are much easier to swallow. But shutdowns were always inevitable based on the guidelines that our local governments have implemented and should have never been ignored. Diblasio didn’t shut down the schools, the Jewish communities did.

Honestly after seeing how reckless everyone has been despite our recent history and countless warnings, leading to a huge outbreak, I’m not convinced it’s entirely the wrong move. When a school has dozens of cases, countless families will be safer with the school (and other vectors) closed.

Let me pose a theoretical question - if a school was able to operate without any interruptions or impositions from anyone, as long as each participating parent signs a waiver that they will not use hospitals or Hatzalah for COVID related issues in their family, how many would sign that waiver? Would you sign? If no, why not?
Personally,  probably yes.  I'm young and healthy and so is my family  BH. For people like us the rates to be severely affected are close to none.  And I would be careful around extended family that might be higher risk. I would rather stay away from high risk locations and people instead of full lockdown and no school.   I can't see myself doing that again.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 02:08:07 AM by Mordyk »
#TYH