Author Topic: Deblasio Shutting 9 ZIP Codes Again  (Read 92583 times)

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Deblasio Shutting 9 ZIP Codes Again
« Reply #500 on: October 08, 2020, 08:48:23 PM »
You're involved in enough askonus to know how things work.

Yes and I know that working together means exactly that. It is like someone who argues with a teenager about taking the car until they give up and let the kid take the car whenever they want until they get into an accident. That wasn't working together at all. Working together would mean discussing appropriate limits to adhere to the entire time.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 08, 2020, 10:04:25 PM »
Rockland County Is COVID Hotspot; Shuls To Have 10 People

New restrictions are coming in Rockland County where COVID-19 infection rates have risen exponentially. That rate is now 4.5%.

“It’s critically important that we get this under control. The numbers are starting to grow exponentially. We don’t need that right now,” Rockland Co. Executive Ed Day said. “We’ve made great progress and great strides here.”

Day announced that the Governor’s Cluster restrictions will take effect at 12:01 AM, Friday, October 9, 2020.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #502 on: October 09, 2020, 12:02:33 AM »
Just wondering: how many of these positive tests are symptomatic?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #503 on: October 09, 2020, 12:07:00 AM »
Just wondering: how many of these positive tests are symptomatic?

Wondering if the testing drives are counterproductive?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Online yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 09, 2020, 12:20:38 AM »

Yes and I know that working together means exactly that. It is like someone who argues with a teenager about taking the car until they give up and let the kid take the car whenever they want until they get into an accident. That wasn't working together at all. Working together would mean discussing appropriate limits to adhere to the entire time.

From what I've seen the last few months, the government was not turning a blind eye. They have publicly highlighted their concerns with the Jewish community without calling us out directly or accusing us of the egregious actions they were very aware of. They also met askonim many times privately to discuss exactly what would happen if things go sour. The noticeably muted warnings were an opportunity for the Jewish leaders to step up before things got worse but of course we botched it up big time.

The same exact story has been playing out in Lakewood yet it will somehow be a surprise when NJ is forced to close our schools.
Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 09, 2020, 12:29:07 AM »

From what I've seen the last few months, the government was not turning a blind eye. They have publicly highlighted their concerns with the Jewish community without calling us out directly or accusing us of the egregious actions they were very aware of. They also met askonim many times privately to discuss exactly what would happen if things go sour. The noticeably muted warnings were an opportunity for the Jewish leaders to step up before things got worse but of course we botched it up big time.

The same exact story has been playing out in Lakewood yet it will somehow be a surprise when NJ is forced to close our schools.

Concerns, warnings, what would happen, etc. Are not working together. Sounds like some need a parenting lesson.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 09, 2020, 12:33:36 AM »

Concerns, warnings, what would happen, etc. Are not working together. Sounds like some need a parenting lesson.

What do you consider "working together"? They didn't just warn, they in fact turned the warnings into action.
Visibly Jewish

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 09, 2020, 12:35:57 AM »

What do you consider "working together"? They didn't just warn, they in fact turned the warnings into action.

No that does not qualify at all. Working together means trying to discuss things with them and find a workable solution for everyone. Did they make any attempt at figuring out something which would work and have the community on their side? Not that I saw. THAT would be leadership, not giving up.

Online yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 09, 2020, 01:05:53 AM »
No that does not qualify at all. Working together means trying to discuss things with them and find a workable solution for everyone. Did they make any attempt at figuring out something which would work and have the community on their side? Not that I saw. THAT would be leadership, not giving up.

I guess I saw differently. You think in their numerous meeting with askonim they never discussed guidelines for shuls/schools/weddings that would help prevent COVID from spreading? What more could they possibly have done to get the community on their side except for looking the other way? Anecdotally speaking, almost everyone I know wanted no restrictions at all. Anything more than nothing and you lost the crowd.
Visibly Jewish

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 09, 2020, 06:51:53 AM »
I guess I saw differently. You think in their numerous meeting with askonim they never discussed guidelines for shuls/schools/weddings that would help prevent COVID from spreading? What more could they possibly have done to get the community on their side except for looking the other way? Anecdotally speaking, almost everyone I know wanted no restrictions at all. Anything more than nothing and you lost the crowd.
That's what happens with unrealistic demands, they shut down reasonable discussion. Demanding nearly full lockdown when there are no cases is not working together.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #510 on: October 09, 2020, 07:10:07 AM »
That's what happens with unrealistic demands, they shut down reasonable discussion. Demanding nearly full lockdown when there are no cases is not working together.

Coming from a guy who found wearing a mask an unrealistic ask? Come on...

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 09, 2020, 07:13:25 AM »
Coming from a guy who found wearing a mask an unrealistic ask? Come on...
I guess they're better off throwing in the towel.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 09, 2020, 07:27:24 AM »
I guess they're better off throwing in the towel.

Your argument is just false. They haven't asked for a "near lockdown" for months. Not of Jews nor of anyone else. But I'll bite...

In your opinion, what would have been a reasonable and realistic ask?

Online shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 09, 2020, 10:37:55 AM »
https://twitter.com/Yochidonn/status/1314309986198134794

Unpopular opinion alert:

For better or for worse, when one wears a uniform, they lose their status as individuals. They are now representing something larger than themselves. Their actions bring both pride and shame to the larger group. It is therefore incumbent on the group to make sure that those representing them are doing so correctly.

Now, we are all human. We understand that there can be rogue actors who bring undue shame to the uniforms they represent. We expect them and their bad actions to be called out. It is the reason we back the police and the military, even though not everyone acts in the manner the uniform demands. They have internal policing measures to ensure the standards are kept. When there is a cover-up, or when it seems a blind eye is turned, we are rightfully outraged.

From the time we went down to Mitzrayim, there have been three things which have set us apart. We pride ourselves on our dress, our language, and our names. We wear them as a badge of honor. A uniform, of sorts. Something that tell us, tells the world, WE ARE DIFFERENT. What we do while in uniform reflects on everyone else who rides under that flag. How we react to the misbehavior of others wearing that uniform is closely watched, and we are judged accordingly.

From the start of this pandemic, right through the summer and up until today, there has been rampant misbehavior in the frum communities of NY. Not only has it rarely been called out by our leaders, it has actually been endorsed by many. Have there been pockets of exceptions? Sure. Some neighborhoods and groups have done better than others. During some periods of time, compliance was better than others. But by and large, those who fall under the umbrella of "ultra-Orthodox" in NYC have not kept to the restrictions placed upon them by the government.

This argument isn't about whether the restrictions are justified. This is specifically addressing the complaint of anti-Semitism by Cuomo. You don't need to like the law, and you can choose to follow it or not, but that doesn't change the fact that his accusation is accurate. This also isn't an argument about whether other people also misbehaved. It's irrelevant. They don't wear a uniform. They represent no one but themselves.

It hurts to be called out. It hurts even more when the person calling up out is a scumbag with no right to the moral high ground. It's scary when we think being called out in a certain way will lead to more anti-Semitism in a city already overflowing with it. None of that makes him wrong.

Side rant: if you're a political activist who sells the community's votes to politicians as a block, don't complain when those same politicians treat you like a block.

@Yehuda57 you can tear me apart now.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 09, 2020, 01:33:51 PM »
Unpopular opinion alert:

For better or for worse, when one wears a uniform, they lose their status as individuals. They are now representing something larger than themselves. Their actions bring both pride and shame to the larger group. It is therefore incumbent on the group to make sure that those representing them are doing so correctly.

Now, we are all human. We understand that there can be rogue actors who bring undue shame to the uniforms they represent. We expect them and their bad actions to be called out. It is the reason we back the police and the military, even though not everyone acts in the manner the uniform demands. They have internal policing measures to ensure the standards are kept. When there is a cover-up, or when it seems a blind eye is turned, we are rightfully outraged.

From the time we went down to Mitzrayim, there have been three things which have set us apart. We pride ourselves on our dress, our language, and our names. We wear them as a badge of honor. A uniform, of sorts. Something that tell us, tells the world, WE ARE DIFFERENT. What we do while in uniform reflects on everyone else who rides under that flag. How we react to the misbehavior of others wearing that uniform is closely watched, and we are judged accordingly.

From the start of this pandemic, right through the summer and up until today, there has been rampant misbehavior in the frum communities of NY. Not only has it rarely been called out by our leaders, it has actually been endorsed by many. Have there been pockets of exceptions? Sure. Some neighborhoods and groups have done better than others. During some periods of time, compliance was better than others. But by and large, those who fall under the umbrella of "ultra-Orthodox" in NYC have not kept to the restrictions placed upon them by the government.

This argument isn't about whether the restrictions are justified. This is specifically addressing the complaint of anti-Semitism by Cuomo. You don't need to like the law, and you can choose to follow it or not, but that doesn't change the fact that his accusation is accurate. This also isn't an argument about whether other people also misbehaved. It's irrelevant. They don't wear a uniform. They represent no one but themselves.

It hurts to be called out. It hurts even more when the person calling up out is a scumbag with no right to the moral high ground. It's scary when we think being called out in a certain way will lead to more anti-Semitism in a city already overflowing with it. None of that makes him wrong.

Side rant: if you're a political activist who sells the community's votes to politicians as a block, don't complain when those same politicians treat you like a block.

I like your post because I like how you do eloquently presented your thoughts.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #517 on: October 09, 2020, 01:36:54 PM »

Don't have the time or patience today, but I had you in zinen when I was shlogging

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 09, 2020, 01:58:26 PM »
Don't have the time or patience today, but I had you in zinen when I was shlogging

I'm honored to have made the cut.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 09, 2020, 03:00:30 PM »
Actual footage
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WRyELq_msGw