Author Topic: OSM (Our Shuls Matter) Protests  (Read 46528 times)

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: OSM (Our Shuls Matter) Protests
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2020, 02:26:23 PM »
I feel, that your posts along with many other posters', have the tone of "everyone else is so foolish/why can't they just have some brains".

I'm glad to see there are others who feel this way. The derogatory tone used by those posters is uncalled for.

You thought it through and came to another conclusion? Please present it. Nobody is stopping you. But when nobody can present a coherent argument in favor of what you are saying forgive me if I don’t believe it exists.

Most people won't even try because they don't want to risk being instantly shot down (just like will probably happen to me right now). Sorry, but that's just the reality on a forum where there are people who are unable to see any other point of view other than their own, no matter what. Period.

And no use denying it because I see it here all the time.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2020, 02:29:03 PM »
Everyone should know, the few very loud and constant commentators here are the very small minority of Klal yisroel talking. The majority especially Bnei torah are in complete disagreement with the views consistently brought here.
Thank you for enlightening me. I fully and totally trust you on this matter and am now convinced that the silent majority agrees with you.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2020, 03:05:53 PM »
I'm glad to see there are others who feel this way. The derogatory tone used by those posters is uncalled for.

Most people won't even try because they don't want to risk being instantly shot down (just like will probably happen to me right now). Sorry, but that's just the reality on a forum where there are people who are unable to see any other point of view other than their own, no matter what. Period.

And no use denying it because I see it here all the time.

I rarely see anyone get shut down unless they post something counterfactual. There are many opinions here, some more popular than others, and they all get airtime. I'm more than a little opinionated, and I've gotten into more than a few debates. Occasionally I get snarky, but I don't believe I've ever dismissed another opinion out of hand. It's rare that it happens to anyone here. The derogatory tones can probably be dialed down a bit, but understand that they almost never happen in a vacuum. There's usually history between the posters and/or on that specific topic, and that context is important. It doesn't excuse the attitude, but to say people cannot post an opinion without getting cancelled is wrong. Just be prepared to back your opinion with facts.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2020, 03:27:25 PM »
Guess we found the latest anti-reality excuse. We are right but nobody listens to us so we won't bother explaining why.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2020, 06:02:43 PM »
The derogatory tones can probably be dialed down a bit...

As long as we agree on this, I'm good  :)

Now let's see those who need to put it into action, do so please.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2020, 06:04:22 PM »
As long as we agree on this, I'm good  :)

Now let's see those who need to put it into action, do so please.

Can we also agree that there are instances where it may be warranted?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2020, 06:14:33 PM »
You mean derogatory tones like this?

no use denying it because I see it here all the time.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2020, 06:21:26 PM »
Can we also agree that there are instances where it may be warranted?

Look, I realize that if someone gets attacked or feels like they're under attack they have a right to go on the defensive and push back. In that case, I would agree it is warranted.

However, whoever did the attacking should not have done so in the first place. Everything can be said in a polite, civil way and we will get your point loud and clear. No need to resort to snarkiness, rudeness, etc.

Note that this doesn't include if someone politely, albeit even if boldly, opposes someone's opinion, that's not an attack even if it might feel that way  ;D.  We need to learn the art of how to agree to disagree here.

Thanks for listening :).

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2020, 06:32:27 PM »
Look, I realize that if someone gets attacked or feels like they're under attack they have a right to go on the defensive and push back. In that case, I would agree it is warranted.

However, whoever did the attacking should not have done so in the first place. Everything can be said in a polite, civil way and we will get your point loud and clear. No need to resort to snarkiness, rudeness, etc.

Note that this doesn't include if someone politely, albeit even if boldly, opposes someone's opinion, that's not an attack even if it might feel that way  ;D.  We need to learn the art of how to agree to disagree here.

Thanks for listening :).
You’re currently making a blanket attack on all those who disagree with you. Point to a place where others attacked you unfairly and we can discuss it. The place I remember you complaining is here where you said

Let's just imagine that this spike would have happened even though everyone would have worn masks religiously and practiced proper social distancing.

All those predictors out there would have still found some kind of reason to say: I told you so, it was predicted, we brought it on ourselves, etc.

and then complained bitterly when others defended themselves. Sorry, it didn’t make sense, and you deserved just a little bit of pushback. Now, if this is just your way of apologizing, I think I speak for all of Team COVID when I say nobody is offended and we can all move on. But I may still be a bit too snarky for your taste. I apologize in advance.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2020, 06:36:02 PM »
You’re currently making a blanket attack on all those who disagree with you. Point to a place where others attacked you unfairly and we can discuss it. The place I remember you complaining is here where you said

and then complained bitterly when others defended themselves. Sorry, it didn’t make sense, and you deserved just a little bit of pushback. Now, if this is just your way of apologizing, I think I speak for all of Team COVID when I say nobody is offended and we can all move on. But I may still be a bit too snarky for your taste. I apologize in advance.

Besides the hypocracy of posting a snarky (and totally untrue) comment then putting things into people's mouths that they never said to make up false examples to complain about the snarkiness of others. Doesn't sound like any of that bothers him at all-only when he gets called out!
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
["-"]

Offline SayWhat

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2020, 07:26:16 PM »
https://www.newsweek.com/are-bill-de-blasio-andrew-cuomo-targeting-new-york-citys-jews-opinion-1537149

I don't know about the specific Jews who are in Uman, but as a whole, we as a people are spreading disease. Many of the posters here (and it seems like most of the Jews in the tri state area that I have been to) are adamant about not wearing masks and social distancing because, because because ... There are so many ppl that hate us and we give them ammunition to attack us.

Say what  ::)

please speak for yourself

Do you have statistics to back up your baseless ANTISEMITIC allegations.

I wear a mask where required by law. For those that don't, they definitely give off the impression that they may be spreading disease. Whether they are or aren't is irrelevant. For hundreds of years jews were blamed for pandemics which resulted in pogroms.  You are creating a chilul Hashem and stoking antisemitism. Learn a little history.

I don't mean to blame the victim here but this was predicated weeks ago and it's unfortunate that many people can't understand that their actions (or inactions) have consequences.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 07:29:23 PM by SayWhat »

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2020, 07:35:44 PM »

I don't mean to blame the victim here but this was predicated weeks ago and it's unfortunate that many people can't understand that their actions (or inactions) have consequences.
You’re not blaming the victim, you’re blaming the perp

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2020, 07:37:29 PM »

You’re not blaming the victim, you’re blaming one of the perps
FTFY

Offline Lamppost

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2020, 08:16:06 PM »
Cant we all just get along :-X The division is the worst part of the whole thing... Remember when we all thought moshiach was coming Peasch....

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2020, 08:37:56 PM »
Cant we all just get along :-X The division is the worst part of the whole thing... Remember when we all thought moshiach was coming Peasch....
Have any ideas? We try very hard. We aren't going around spending time trying to enlighten people for no reason. We do it because we care.

All I can say is השיבה שופטינו כראשונה. We could use a strong, qualified leader now. I guess Mashiach would fill the current void very nicely.  :)

Offline iluv2travel

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2020, 09:20:40 PM »
Have any ideas? We try very hard. We aren't going around spending time trying to enlighten people for no reason. We do it because we care.

All I can say is השיבה שופטינו כראשונה. We could use a strong, qualified leader now. I guess Mashiach would fill the current void very nicely.  :)

Double thumbs up for this post.

I would venture to say, I "know" Moshiach would fill the void...

And thanks for caring ;).

Offline shulemw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2020, 09:33:51 PM »
BH we have leaders. And Big ones in israel and abroad. you just need to LISTEN to them! Not say since when can rabbanim have a say in health issues!!!!

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2020, 09:43:20 PM »
BH we have leaders. And Big ones in israel and abroad. you just need to LISTEN to them! Not say since when can rabbanim have a say in health issues!!!!
Are you saying we should listen to the instructions from R Chaim Kanievsky about shuls and minyanim and simchas torah? I don't see anyone really following his directives here. They are MUCH stricter than what people here are doing.

Offline shulemw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2020, 09:44:49 PM »
So the problem is not that we don't have leaders... You don't need to daven השיבה שופטינו now.. you just need to listen. Our gedoilim say you just need to listen...