Topic Wiki

Since I've posted periodically over the years about the Bobsled/skeleton team (israelbobsled.team) and back when I was doing my skeleton run, it was suggested that it might be fun to have a semi-regularly updated thread on how and where the team's doing on our road to 2022.  It can provide an insight as to how some Israeli Olympic efforts operate and run.  Some of the team members and myself will also occasionally drop in a kind of "blog" as we progress through the run.  Feel free to follow this thread through the next 15 months or DM any questions.

Brief About Me:
    • AJ Edelman
    • 2018 Olympian
    • Bobsled pilot/driver
    • Modern Orthodox--Maimonides School (Brookline, MA) class of '09

About the team and organization:
    This past year I recruited 4 rugby players (3 ISR National team Druze (Arab ethnic and religious minority) athletes and an American as well, the 2017 Maccabiah Rugby MVP) to join a 4-man team en-route to the 2022 Olympic Games.  It's a competitive team with a very large chance of making the '22 games (I expect us to make it.)  I am the team's pilot (I am in the front of the sled driving) and general manager. 
    We are licensed by the Israeli Olympic committee and the Israel Bobsleigh/Skeleton Federation which has been around since 2002.  We would be the first Olympic bobsled team to qualify Israel.

Social Media:
    Facebook (AJ): Fb.com/IsraelBobsled
    FB (Team): Fb.com/bobteamisrael
    Instagram (AJ): Instagram.com/ajedelman
    Instagram (Team): Instagram.com/israelbobsled

Timeline:
    • Nov '20--April '21: In-season training and a few competitions in Lake Placid if covid doesn't cancel those in January
    • Apr '21--October '21: Training in Israel on dryland
    • Nov '21--Jan '22: Olympic qualification period
    • Feb '22--Beijing Winter Olympic Games

How we train:
    In-season: tons of runs down the bobsled track.  3 tracks in North America that will be focused on this year: Whistler, BC; Lake Placid, NY; Park City, UT
    Off-season: Sprinting and lifting, and for myself endless hours of sponsorship proposals and grant applications

Are points ever used?
    Heck yeah, they're pretty crucial sometimes for flights.  Hotels generally have horrible redemption values close to tracks and we only have so many points, so generally we opt to VRBO local cheap accommodation.

What is bobsled like?  How is it different than skeleton?

Skeleton was my Olympic sport back in 2018.  It's best described as a more intense/difficult version of bobsled on your stomach, head-first.  I describe it as more difficult because the steering mechanisms of the sled are so much more complex, and the balance element is tough when you're being knocked around violently.  When there's no pain and you're on an easy run then it feels a bit like chaotic flying.

Bobsled is in my opinion far more fun, as a pilot.  You can see easily, you use your hands to steer by pulling on 2 rings attached to pulleys (so it acts as a kind of front-wheel-drive car in that respect,) and until you flip over it's less painful than skeleton.  All bets are off once you crash/turn though, which is an incredibly dangerous situation.
    For the boys in the back who push--their job is to essentially push the sled as fast as they can for 5 seconds, hop in the back in the correct order (a very difficult maneuver,) and then take an incredible pounding the rest of the run, which ranges from about 52 seconds to a minute.  That feeling is best described as being shoved into a trash can and kicked over masada.  It's a terribly uncomfortable experience.

What are the chances of qualifying for Beijing'22?
    Quite high! I expect we'll make it.
    What equipment is used in bobsled:
    Bobsled is a niche sport--pretty much the only "standard" equipment used is a motorcycle helmet.
    The other critical pieces of equipment are the:
    • Sled: these are complex machines made to withstand a beating.  They generally retail for 50-80k Euro depending on the type and competitiveness of the sled.
    • Sprinting spikes: We wear specialized sprinting spikes with needlepoints on the bottom to grip the ice during the sprinting start

• Suits: paper-thin, lycra suits made for aerodynamic performance
    • runners: these are the tires that hit the road for your sled.  Made of 316L stainless steel and highly regulated, a good/competitive pair will set you back over $15,000.  This means we protect them with our lives if need be, always ensuring that they never get close to touching concrete.

• a burn vest: this is a small vest under our uniforms that prevent our skin from being peeled away from our bodies or burning off when we flip over and are sliding on ice upside down

How can one try out for the team?  What athletic qualities are prioritized?
    Easy! There's a very simple chart of elite/average metrics at https://israelbobsled.team/recruit/
    The skills of a good pusher in bobsled are
    • A love for Israel--no one gets in my sled if Israel isn't their first and only choice
    • Sprinting speed
    • Explosive strength, generally identifiable with power-cleans, squats, medicine ball tosses and standing broad jumps

In 60 seconds: how does one build an Olympic-contending bobsled team from scratch? What does a day look like? What are the more difficult aspects?

It's actually quite complex.  It took about 6 months to put everything into place with the current team and plans change by the week due to Covid-related travel and training availability/restrictions.  The primary areas of consideration are always:

Finances and budgeting
    Finances are the largest stress/burden.  The team has no funding from Israel and since an intended sponsor for this season was unable to support the team as signed off on, I have resorted to borrowing to pay everything out of pocket so the team can continue to train as we seek support through the season.  The team's budget is about $170,000 on a shoestring.

Athlete recruitment
    Recruitment of athletes who are competitive is really difficult as one might imagine.  It's pretty difficult to find good athletes not already committed to other sports willing to just get pounded all year, leaving their jobs, family, etc. for 6+ months at a time.  Luckily we have found 4 superb athletes and the path to the Games because of this is far clearer.

Infrastructure and equipment
    The most time-consuming.  Finding insurance for international athletes doing a niche, extreme sport was incredibly difficult and took about 4 months of being bounced around to different agencies.  Equipment there is an abundance of but is logistically difficult to plan for since even moving a half-ton sled/crate has drastic expense so with covid upending travel planning, equipment planning is difficult as well.  Lodging/airfare/food is done on a relatively ad-hoc basis and also difficult as the Covid situation unfolds.

How can we stay in touch/follow along?
    This thread will be updated periodically for sure, and there's an easy signup link for the mailing list on the team page (BobTeamIsrael.com)

Is there a way to support the team? (have to put this one here--it is a tax-deductible CC spend opportunity)

As mentioned the team did have an agreement to be fully sponsored this year but due to the economic situation that fell entirely through.  As such I have committed to borrowing/taking a loan on the team's budget, since I believe this team has too much potential for good to let it fold. Donations of any kind and sponsorships are the lifeblood of the team and we are a 501c3 (so if you need to hit that CC spend, this is a pretty good way to do so  ;D )
    We do have corporate sponsorship avail. (logos on sleds/uniforms/jackets etc.) and donation opportunities.  If the season gets funded (so half the gofundme.com/israelbobsled mark,) I'll be raffling off my Olympic ring.
    https://www.paypal.com/fundraiser/charity/164739

Where do you train in the offseason?
    Training from May-October of next year will likely be at the Wingate Institute in Netanya.

What's the most meaningful part of the Olympic journey?
    Lighting channukah candles each year at the Koenigssee bobsled track next to Hitler's home.  Started the tradition in 2015 and it continues each year.  Already have my flight to Munich for December.  It's those kinds of little things that remind you who you represent.

Does the team have a name?
    Yep! BobTeam Edelman.  Bobsled team's are all named BobTeam XYZ where XYZ is the last name of the pilot.  Alternatively we are sometimes referred to as BobTeam Israel/Yisrael.

Are there other bobsled teams?
    Indeed there is one other Israeli bobsled team, piloted by a converted parabobsled athlete who found some success in the parabobsled sport.  Unfortunately, in able-bodied bobsled the sprinting start of the run is of the utmost importance and he is unable to perform that role (starting seated in the sled.)  Thus my team's mission is also to support their development if possible to try and get a second sled to the Games, though this would be incredibly difficult.

shirts/masks/mugs are sold at almost no markup just to get the word out and to provide a fun experience too:
    https://www.bonfire.com/store/bobteam-israel/[/list]
    « Last edited by hgeek23 on December 03, 2023, 08:39:57 PM »

Author Topic: BobTeam Edelman / 2026 Olympics thread  (Read 25209 times)

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
      • View Profile
      • Israel Olympian AJ Edelman / Israel Bobsled BobTeam Edelman
    • Location: A bobsled track going 90mph, or in a plane doing 500.
    • Programs: Sleeping-on-couches (Hachnasat Orchim) Diamond
    Re: BobTeam Edelman / 2022 Olympics thread
    « Reply #120 on: February 17, 2022, 11:48:58 AM »

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
      • View Profile
    « Reply #121 on: February 17, 2022, 12:18:25 PM »
    https://olympics.com/en/original-series/episode/israeli-bobsled-pilot-fundraising-for-his-olympic-dream-winter-tracks

A great little episode on the team. Via the Olympic channel
    Fascinating. Really highlights the work that goes into pulling together a team and working without any financial backing.

Most interesting factoid to me is that you are a sushi chef. Any secrets?  :P

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #122 on: February 17, 2022, 12:18:44 PM »
    https://olympics.com/en/original-series/episode/israeli-bobsled-pilot-fundraising-for-his-olympic-dream-winter-tracks

A great little episode on the team. Via the Olympic channel
    Wow, it's really nice!
    It gives a real glimpse into what has gone into this, although it is really just the tip of the iceberg.

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    Re: BobTeam Edelman / 2026 Olympics thread
    « Reply #123 on: April 10, 2023, 01:24:04 PM »
    @Dan if you can change the topic to 2026, would appreciate it!

Updating the thread to account for this past season in case people are interested.

Link to web version: https://mailchi.mp/dd5602b4eb27/finishing-season-1-of-4-on-a-spectacular-note?e=d65684ef5e

the season ends on a huge note, including beating a german world championships medalist. plus, the path forward, and bringing in a female pilot into the program

This team is talented. It’s story historic. Its results terrific. Its mission great.

A little over a year ago I promised you that our mission would be seen through to success in 2026. We are hitting the marks that indicate such future success. Should the team find the resources to make an appropriate run at an Olympic effort we will make it.

Thank you so much for being a part. Without your words of encouragement and support we would not be where we are now. Such huge thanks to Ariel Property Advisors and the Gelmans for helping us repatriate the sled from Germany where it had been stuck for a year and for continuing to help us. Thank you to Normatec for providing recovery equipment we used to excel this past week.

Ward Fawarsy, a talented Arab/Druze athlete who has set many standards in his community in sport, joined me for 5 weeks in Park City, UT in January/February. We saw huge gains in our training destroying our performance metrics from last season. BobTeam Israel capped off our efforts this past week, competing in the only competition races we could afford for the season and put down two spectacular results over 2 days. Facing stiff competition from a host of European, Canadian, and American teams, Israel placed a national record best of 8th of 17 sleds in the 2-man North American Cup, setting national records in a number of categories in Lake Placid. Of the entire contingent of 4 German sleds Israel bested, one of them was a World Championships medalist. We also bested the overall Cup Series 3rd place team in both races, an indication that with a full season we would likely have captured an overall podium finish, an improvement from 8th place overall the season prior.

The season’s send-off

As racing reveals a team’s weaknesses, we wanted to get a data point on where we stood in our performance relative to where we want to be in this Olympic cycle. The 2 man North American Cup in Lake Placid last week provided that opportunity. Many heavy hitters from Europe, including both Italian Olympic teams entered the race to get experience on the track and to close out their seasons.

The 2-man race on Friday is where we truly shined, besting all 4 German sleds and finishing just behind the Italian Olympic team. Every performance metric we improved upon from the season prior. I’m so proud of this team and program. We knew that we were Olympic level when we hit the standard last season, but the exciting fact of the matter is that we have a lot of room to grow and continue to excel, driving ourselves into the top of the sliding field.

On the 4 man side, we were unable to afford to train nor race in the discipline this season. We will return to this discipline next season, if possible.

This team is a shining example of what can be accomplished with heart, determination, and commitment to mission.

The road ahead
    The team’s strategy next season is to find a level of support that will allow us to travel to the 3 North American tracks and train there for 1-2 months each, performing a healthy race circuit.

We're good, and we can be truly great - but we cannot continue to make great strides without additional support. To become a corporate sponsor, feel free to respond to this email and get in touch with me. Tax deductibel donations can also be made using the button below through the PayPal Giving Fund.

Adding a female pilot to the program
    Based on the team’s success we attracted interest from a very promising collegiate track star who would like to join the program. This would give us a terrific shot at a female monobobsleigh Olympic berth. The growth of the program and of Israeli sport is the mission of the team, and it would be a dream to see not only one Olympic team in bobsleigh in 2026, but multiple teams. If we find a benefactor that can support it, she would join the team in our training next season.

Our sled is in New York and Available for Events
    Our gorgeous sled is in New York and will be used at events to try and generate interesting experiences for those who have never been able to interact with our team. If you are interested in having it at an event please get in touch with me. Its first appearance is scheduled for an Israeli Independence Day event on April 25 at Temple Shaaray Tfilla in New York City.

From the bottom of my heart, and from the team as well, thank you for your support. We will do our best to make you proud.

Together we will get to Milan2026.
    To donate and hit the spend on your new chase cards while getting a tax deduction:
    https://www.paypal.com/fundraiser/charity/4487190

www.IsraelBobsled.Team

« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 04:02:15 PM by hgeek23 »

Offline lcm

• View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: April 10, 2023, 10:31:49 PM »
    Wow, really amazing milestones and achievements, keep it coming!
    Update is great!

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #125 on: July 16, 2023, 08:05:23 PM »
    Small mid-offseason update:
    It's now the middle of the offseason for bobsled I thought I would provide an update on the team.
    We are coming into off-season 2 of 4 for the 2026 Olympic games.

I've graduated from my MBA program and following a brief recovery for a surgery related to my prior skeleton injuries I'm back to training.

my brothers on Broadway
    For some fun laughs including some based on my journey, my brother Alex is on Broadway with his show "Just for Us." Check him out  ;D

team position

The team is in a healthy position performance wise. We bettered all expectations at our race in March. We've been able to recruit a couple of new athletes into the team pending our funding crisis abating. The classic problem in recruiting athletes to the team is that it is very tough for Israelis and Jews to take 6 months away from Israel to train at the bobsled tracks we visit without being supported in their flights and housing. I'm hopeful that the team will continue to grow with incredibly talented athletes going forward.

building the team/recruiting
    We are still recruiting, even for next season. If you have a strong, fast athlete in mind, have them message me through Instagram (@ajedelman or @israelbobsled) or here! The 4 man team will be fielding new athletes and I'm always on the lookout for recruits.
    We have an athlete who's graduating during this season and will be with us g-d willing next season. So if there's not a commitment for this coming season, no problem!

funding
    This is always the biggest issue. The team needs a new 4 man sled and a coach this season, meaning it will be our heaviest cost season, at 250k. I've thankfully managed to raise 3% thus far. I've put my bobsled and Olympic ring on eBay to try and see if it creates some organic interest. If you know anyone in the market for something cool to add to their collection, can't go wrong there 🛷. https://www.ebay.com/itm/394747986506?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=njdxdhd4tjw&sssrc=2524149&ssuid=njdxdhd4tjw&var=
    If they actually are interested in it don't buy it on eBay, just get in touch and it can be a gift in return for a contribution to the team.
    Same goes for the ring. https://www.ebay.com/itm/394748221163?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=njdxdhd4tjw&sssrc=2524149&ssuid=njdxdhd4tjw&var=

Suggestions on bridging the gap are always much appreciated. A link to our non-profit donation page is in my signature.

seasons schedule going forward
    The team will be in a team building season this year. Training up the four man portion of the team to work seamlessly come next season where we would expect to pull multiple podiums on our circuit. One of the lessons from the last go-around was that the more lead time the other athletes have to gel together the better. This year I'll be going hard into their development, necessarily sacrificing some racing. We will begin our training in November.

Three races will start the year in November and early December followed by period of training and finally culminating in a race in March.

what we do in the offseason
    In the offseason the other boys have a very simple task--get better at pushing heavy things fast.
    All the other team members are in Israel right now sprinting and lifting for that particular purpose.

My responsibilities are far more broad. Hiring a coach, setting out a development plan for the next three years, fundraising (The vast majority of my time--it is never ending,) recruiting, equipment sourcing, and logistics including housing and flights. Sponsorship packets are sent out individually to different companies as well. All of the success for the coming season has its foundations laid very carefully in the offseason, right now.  There's always a lot of work to be done and the schedule is not yet set in stone and would not be until probably October.  For the moment I split my time between New York, where the bobsled is, and Boston.

expanding the network
    I'm trying to expand the network that surrounds the team. If you know anyone who might be able to hop on a call to dispense some advice about philanthropy and fundraising or public relations, I'm sure it would be of great help.
    DM me  :)

thank you
    Thank you so very much for following along. I love that we can share this journey with the community. Looking forward to representing you all in the coming year.

Sincerest best,
    AJ and Team
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 08:30:23 PM by hgeek23 »

Offline lcm

• View Profile
    « Reply #126 on: July 16, 2023, 08:16:22 PM »
    Nice update, keep up the perseverance!
    Figuring out a way no matter what!

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #127 on: July 16, 2023, 08:19:12 PM »
    Nice update, keep up the perseverance!
    Figuring out a way no matter what!

Something about if you will it, it's not a dream sticks out in my mind. Pretty much this team.

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #128 on: November 08, 2023, 12:34:52 AM »
    Link to properly formatted update with pictures: https://eepurl.com/iDpq76

What follows is the relatively unformatted version with less pictures. It's quite late in lake placid, apologies.

A Season Unlike Any Other
    The team is at war, but continues to represent

In Brief:

The team members at war

This year’s focus

A new coach

Representation efforts

Sponsorship implications representing Israel

Personally where I am at

End-of-year giving

My dearest supporters,
    This is not the kind of email I thought would welcome the start of our tenth year together.
    I'm writing to you from Lake Placid, where I began my journey representing Israel nearly 10 years ago.  I had planned to begin this season with five teammates accompanying me. All these athletes were Israelis from diverse athletic backgrounds, trying the bobsled for the first time.
    Ward, our very special Druze push athlete with us from 2020, was taking the season off to build a sport facility in his community.  He has been using his platform and achievements to make a positive change for his people.
    All five of the boys and Ward are presently serving in Gaza. They are in good health and I am in contact with each of them regularly. Should you wish to send them a message of support please feel free to respond to me directly and I will pass it on.
    Ward and Roman (another athlete) sent along pictures [in the linked version of the update].

We have been lucky to have an Israeli athlete from the US who was not called to service join us in the last couple of days, named Sam.  I am excited to welcome him into the BobTeam Edelman family.

Year 10--expectations versus the present reality--season 2 of 4 in the 2026 Olympic cycle

In 2022, the Israeli team hit the Olympic standard for the first time in history. As You know, we fell one short of the quota cap. We are on the road to 2026. This season is two of four.
    I had high expectations for the season.  Our results last season put us in line for an expected overall podium finish on the North American Cup circuit.  I had set a high bar for this season for our team, aiming for Israel’s first ever podium finishes in bobsled.
    Objective-wise, the season should have been one where all of the athletes learned to gel as a team and push together. But as an Olympic caliber team our responsibility in representing the State is to shift with the circumstances, and that is what we have done.
    Presently, the expectations and goals have shifted to one of pilot development and push-training for Sam. We are together in Lake Placid and will train for the races but not compete in the races with any expectation of high-placement finishes. With only 3 days of training for Sam to learn to push a sled, the goal is to represent Israel proudly at this time of need and lay the groundwork for a successful potential race in March when we return here. I am proud of Sam and his commitment to learning with such a short lead time. It takes not only a leap of faith but also a drive that is commendable—he has dropped what he is doing to make a solid commitment. A true Israeli spirit.

A new coach-a double European champion
    Joining us for the first part of the season and hopefully in years three and four is Oskars Kibermanis, who retired after his third Olympic Games this past season. He is a double European champion and quite the addition to the team. We are blessed to have such a talent. He believes that this team not only has the skill to achieve our Olympic goal but also the heart to do so. I am honored that he chose to join our team.

The team as a vehicle for Israeli representation
    Never have I believed so much in the power of this team to represent Israel in a way that creates a positive perception of our people. To that end, a number of initiatives have been undertaken to use the team as a vehicle to create positive outreach.
    The first are a number of events that I have held in parks around New York City where I set up a table and invited individuals to engage in a dialogue or debate about the issues surrounding Israel and Gaza. They have been well received. A 90-second video of one of the events can be seen here: https://youtu.be/LwVIZUEuwis?si=2QoyFQfRVhSAffD1
    New York 1 News came to cover one of the days as well.
    The second is our van which has been wrapped to proudly display Israel from every angle that the van can be seen. It will be driven across the country from race to race, over 6,000 miles this season. I am very proud of the design.  It has attracted a lot of positivity here in Lake Placid.
    Finally, all team members (including the coach and helpers) have been issued team gear that is proudly representative of our nation and people. This has resulted in a number of very positive conversations here in Lake Placid. I believe so strongly in this team as a force for good.

Sponsorship—a new sponsor in a time where a few have walked away
    I am proud that we signed on a new sponsor this season, Scorpion Helmets. I have worn Scorpion helmets for the past two seasons.  Helmets are the most important piece of protective equipment that we wear and they have been so generous in donating an abundance of helmets to the team so that we can compete safely this season.  Find their premium gear at ScorpionUsa.com

We are also blessed and most proud to continue representing Ariel Property Advisors (arielpa.nyc) who have been with me since 2015. They have been a staunch supporter of Team Israel over the years.  I cannot thank them enough. They have helped make this journey possible.

Unfortunately, the present situation has made the team un-sponsorable for a few companies that had considered signing on to the team this year.  It is always an issue politically in approaching companies for partnerships with us in any season but this season has seen our sponsorship potential nearly completely evaporate.

This is part and parcel of being an Israeli team. Over the years we have received numerous rejections for Israel being a sensitive topic to consumers and brands, and this season has been without a doubt the most challenging.  As Israeli companies have diverted their attention away from sport (rightfully so,) and due to the challenges, we have had to forego plans to purchase new sleds and other equipment.  We will succeed despite the challenges, as we always do.  That’s what Israelis do.

Personally, where I am at
    On a personal note I am thankfully in the best health that I have been in during my sliding journey.
    Mentally I'm clear and relentlessly pursuing this goal with success squarely in mind.

End of year tax deductible donations
    We have been blessed to receive some donations from individuals who wish to remain private. I thank them endlessly. We always appreciate consideration in end of year planning and gift-giving.
    Credit card donations may be made at www.israelbobsled.team/donate, or checks can be made to

Advancing Jewish Athletics
    19 Catlin road
    Brookline Massachusetts 02445

Thank you very much for being a part of this journey. I am proud to represent you.
    My very best to all of you and your loved ones.
    Sincerest best,
    AJ

Offline lcm

• View Profile
    « Reply #129 on: November 08, 2023, 12:42:20 AM »
    Wow, thanks for the update!

It's very impressive how nimble you are, rolling with the punches and doing what needs to get done.

Really great to hear that you are in a good space!

Offline JuryDuty

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
      • View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: January 17, 2024, 09:50:15 AM »
    https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/careers/the-m-b-a-s-who-cant-find-jobs-669cc1fa

I didn't realize you were looking for a full time job outside of bobsledding! On a serious note, I'm sure there's a huge community of people here who could help out
    Jury Duty: Nothing to do there but chill and write a TR. Kinda like the beach but missing the view and ocean breeze.

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #131 on: February 21, 2024, 12:49:20 PM »
    https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/careers/the-m-b-a-s-who-cant-find-jobs-669cc1fa

I didn't realize you were looking for a full time job outside of bobsledding! On a serious note, I'm sure there's a huge community of people here who could help out

Indeed I am still looking 🙏

Today we had a really nice piece in the new York Post!
    https://nypost.com/2024/02/21/sports/israels-bobsled-team-pushing-for-olympic-glory-amid-gaza-war/

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #132 on: March 10, 2024, 04:27:16 PM »
    Historic end-of-season update--recreated from my email list email to supporters (PM me to get on it)

Israel Becomes the First Modern Team to Accomplish a Significant Feat, taking the Overall Race Circuit Podium

In Brief:
    • History—the Overall Podium
    • What Lies Ahead
    • Timeline to the Olympics
    • Let’s Finish This Together

My dearest supporters,
    I write to you with the greatest of pride and invite you to share in it.
    Bobsled teams are named for their pilots. Personally, I would prefer a longer name with all of the brakemen, but this season demonstrated why that has not become standard.  BobTeam Israel/Edelman competed in 8 races this season on the North American Cup, with 4 different brakemen, a new push athlete in each race (due to all our expected members being called to serve in the war.)  And we earned some unique history.

There are 3 race circuits in bobsled.  The World Cup, which has 8 individual stops and is cost prohibitive for a team like ours (where transporting sleds alone would be in the multiple tens of thousands of dollars,) and the 2 “continental cups,” one in Europe (EC,) and one in North America (the NAC,) on which we traditionally compete.  The NAC has 4 stops of 2 races each, making it far more cost effective.

Each circuit gives out awards for the overall top 3 points finishers in 2-man, 4-man, and combined 2/4 man rankings.  Since the IBSF started keeping online records in 2007, there has not ever been a team to finish in the overall top 3 of the NAC that was not representing a nation which had competed in the prior Olympic Games.  On Thursday evening, Israel became the first.  This is a big deal in our world.  It is big for the team and it is special for Israel.  Individual races are wonderful to excel at—to string together consistent performance in 8 races is an exceedingly difficult task.  Thanks to everyone working together and doing their part, Israel succeeded.  This is now most likely the most successful unfunded and unsubsidized bobsled team in modern times.  We should all be proud at what Israel can accomplish when we really set our heart to it.

A record-setting season closes with the overall podium

Last season we set one goal in mind for the 23/24 season—to finish the year with the overall podium.  It was important for 2 reasons:
    • I feel this team represents the potential of Israel when it comes to not only winter sport, but all that can be accomplished in sport with dedication and hard work.
    • This accomplishment is rarer for a small-nation in bobsled than making the Olympic games.  I wanted our little-team-that-could to set a midway statement: we are serious contenders.

In my prior update I mentioned how the team had earned Israels first podium finish in our 22 year history (a bronze medal in Whistler.)  Combined with top-6 finishes in over half of our races, the team continued its his historic run with new brakemen in each race.  Jason Dunn, Daniel Jackson, Ori Magnezi, and finally Ran Fawarse (the cousin of our teammate Ward Fawarse.  Both were serving in the military in the ongoing war.)

The push to take the overall podium was a prime motivator for almost every decision this season.  The team had a goal and we would stop at nothing to accomplish it.  The team sacrificed in unique ways this season—foregoing lunches to afford training runs, re-sewing torn race and training suits, and splitting athletes at one point into 4 different volunteer homes to afford training accommodation.  In difficult conditions the team pushed ahead, persevered, and took on this task in a manner that I am proud of.

Our final races in Lake Placid saw stiff competition from 16 teams.  In both races we had top-5 top speeds and closed out with performances that merited the overall podium in 2man bobsled.

Moving forward—Where We Stand Olympics-Wise

My attention turns now to two tasks:

1. Keeping the team alive financially and purchasing new equipment
    2. Rebuilding the 4 man team

The team had 3 partners this season—Ariel Property Advisors (with us for 9 years now,) Scorpion EXO Helmets (which literally saved my life in multiple instances with their exceptional R1 Carbon helmet,) and Lion Parts Powersports which kept the team warm with jackets.

What is missing is the only component that will now keep us out of the Games—we as a team lack financial support.  Teams like ours simply do not succeed in a sport often likened to Formula 1 on ice.  We need over $200,000 of equipment alone this offseason to remain competitive for the Olympic field.  We are good, there is no doubt, but we are the least funded team on the entire circuit.  Half of my offseason efforts will be dedicated to changing this.  The present efforts are to seek to put together a group of companies and individuals who would take an “ownership” in the team.  Should this plan succeed, I believe we would have absolutely no problem making an Olympic finals.

Recruitment is the other big lift.  Finding new athletes and training them is hard, and to compete as a 4-man unit requires time and trust.

The Timeline

The next 7 months are the training offseason.  I will be either in New York City, Lake Placid, or a mix of the two to train.

The next season is our pre-Olympic season where the new team will show off what it can put down together after a limited time training in the offseason as a unit, and then progress as much as we can towards what will be the Olympic qualification season from November, 2025 to mid-January, 2026.

I promise you: Israel will succeed. God willing.
    Thank you for being a part of this journey with me.  Thank you to our athletes, our federation, the volunteers who housed us when in need, and for anyone who sent words of support and encouragement.  We are so grateful

If our mission resonates with you and you would like to make a year-end tax deductible donation to the team, credit card donations may be made at www.israelbobsled.team/donate, or checks can be made to

Advancing Jewish Athletics

19 Catlin road

Brookline Massachusetts 02445

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 04:37:46 PM by hgeek23 »

Offline lcm

• View Profile
    « Reply #133 on: March 10, 2024, 07:09:09 PM »
    Wow, quite some accomplishments!
    Keep up the amazing work making us proud!

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #134 on: March 11, 2024, 12:21:11 AM »
    I admire your tenacity and dedication and your feeling responsibility for others. It is a trait to be admired.

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #135 on: March 12, 2024, 10:45:35 AM »
    Wow, quite some accomplishments!
    Keep up the amazing work making us proud!

Thank you so much 😊. All credit to my teammates. They make it work

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #136 on: March 12, 2024, 10:46:44 AM »
    I admire your tenacity and dedication and your feeling responsibility for others. It is a trait to be admired.

That's what we do as Israelis!

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
      • View Profile
    • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
    « Reply #137 on: April 14, 2024, 09:43:08 PM »
    Ok after seeing Alex Edelman perform at a local Jewish event, my wife and I just watched his HBO special. Had no idea he was your brother until he mentioned you a thousand times during the show lol.
    Knew I had to come back and report on Dans Deals.
    btw - show was great - highly recommend everyone watch!

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
      • View Profile
    • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
    « Reply #138 on: April 14, 2024, 10:47:46 PM »
    What is the name of the HBO special?
    Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline JMHO