Topic Wiki

Since I've posted periodically over the years about the Bobsled/skeleton team (israelbobsled.team) and back when I was doing my skeleton run, it was suggested that it might be fun to have a semi-regularly updated thread on how and where the team's doing on our road to 2022.  It can provide an insight as to how some Israeli Olympic efforts operate and run.  Some of the team members and myself will also occasionally drop in a kind of "blog" as we progress through the run.  Feel free to follow this thread through the next 15 months or DM any questions.

Brief About Me:
    • AJ Edelman
    • 2018 Olympian
    • Bobsled pilot/driver
    • Modern Orthodox--Maimonides School (Brookline, MA) class of '09

About the team and organization:
    This past year I recruited 4 rugby players (3 ISR National team Druze (Arab ethnic and religious minority) athletes and an American as well, the 2017 Maccabiah Rugby MVP) to join a 4-man team en-route to the 2022 Olympic Games.  It's a competitive team with a very large chance of making the '22 games (I expect us to make it.)  I am the team's pilot (I am in the front of the sled driving) and general manager. 
    We are licensed by the Israeli Olympic committee and the Israel Bobsleigh/Skeleton Federation which has been around since 2002.  We would be the first Olympic bobsled team to qualify Israel.

Social Media:
    Facebook (AJ): Fb.com/IsraelBobsled
    FB (Team): Fb.com/bobteamisrael
    Instagram (AJ): Instagram.com/ajedelman
    Instagram (Team): Instagram.com/israelbobsled

Timeline:
    • Nov '20--April '21: In-season training and a few competitions in Lake Placid if covid doesn't cancel those in January
    • Apr '21--October '21: Training in Israel on dryland
    • Nov '21--Jan '22: Olympic qualification period
    • Feb '22--Beijing Winter Olympic Games

How we train:
    In-season: tons of runs down the bobsled track.  3 tracks in North America that will be focused on this year: Whistler, BC; Lake Placid, NY; Park City, UT
    Off-season: Sprinting and lifting, and for myself endless hours of sponsorship proposals and grant applications

Are points ever used?
    Heck yeah, they're pretty crucial sometimes for flights.  Hotels generally have horrible redemption values close to tracks and we only have so many points, so generally we opt to VRBO local cheap accommodation.

What is bobsled like?  How is it different than skeleton?

Skeleton was my Olympic sport back in 2018.  It's best described as a more intense/difficult version of bobsled on your stomach, head-first.  I describe it as more difficult because the steering mechanisms of the sled are so much more complex, and the balance element is tough when you're being knocked around violently.  When there's no pain and you're on an easy run then it feels a bit like chaotic flying.

Bobsled is in my opinion far more fun, as a pilot.  You can see easily, you use your hands to steer by pulling on 2 rings attached to pulleys (so it acts as a kind of front-wheel-drive car in that respect,) and until you flip over it's less painful than skeleton.  All bets are off once you crash/turn though, which is an incredibly dangerous situation.
    For the boys in the back who push--their job is to essentially push the sled as fast as they can for 5 seconds, hop in the back in the correct order (a very difficult maneuver,) and then take an incredible pounding the rest of the run, which ranges from about 52 seconds to a minute.  That feeling is best described as being shoved into a trash can and kicked over masada.  It's a terribly uncomfortable experience.

What are the chances of qualifying for Beijing'22?
    Quite high! I expect we'll make it.
    What equipment is used in bobsled:
    Bobsled is a niche sport--pretty much the only "standard" equipment used is a motorcycle helmet.
    The other critical pieces of equipment are the:
    • Sled: these are complex machines made to withstand a beating.  They generally retail for 50-80k Euro depending on the type and competitiveness of the sled.
    • Sprinting spikes: We wear specialized sprinting spikes with needlepoints on the bottom to grip the ice during the sprinting start

• Suits: paper-thin, lycra suits made for aerodynamic performance
    • runners: these are the tires that hit the road for your sled.  Made of 316L stainless steel and highly regulated, a good/competitive pair will set you back over $15,000.  This means we protect them with our lives if need be, always ensuring that they never get close to touching concrete.

• a burn vest: this is a small vest under our uniforms that prevent our skin from being peeled away from our bodies or burning off when we flip over and are sliding on ice upside down

How can one try out for the team?  What athletic qualities are prioritized?
    Easy! There's a very simple chart of elite/average metrics at https://israelbobsled.team/recruit/
    The skills of a good pusher in bobsled are
    • A love for Israel--no one gets in my sled if Israel isn't their first and only choice
    • Sprinting speed
    • Explosive strength, generally identifiable with power-cleans, squats, medicine ball tosses and standing broad jumps

In 60 seconds: how does one build an Olympic-contending bobsled team from scratch? What does a day look like? What are the more difficult aspects?

It's actually quite complex.  It took about 6 months to put everything into place with the current team and plans change by the week due to Covid-related travel and training availability/restrictions.  The primary areas of consideration are always:

Finances and budgeting
    Finances are the largest stress/burden.  The team has no funding from Israel and since an intended sponsor for this season was unable to support the team as signed off on, I have resorted to borrowing to pay everything out of pocket so the team can continue to train as we seek support through the season.  The team's budget is about $170,000 on a shoestring.

Athlete recruitment
    Recruitment of athletes who are competitive is really difficult as one might imagine.  It's pretty difficult to find good athletes not already committed to other sports willing to just get pounded all year, leaving their jobs, family, etc. for 6+ months at a time.  Luckily we have found 4 superb athletes and the path to the Games because of this is far clearer.

Infrastructure and equipment
    The most time-consuming.  Finding insurance for international athletes doing a niche, extreme sport was incredibly difficult and took about 4 months of being bounced around to different agencies.  Equipment there is an abundance of but is logistically difficult to plan for since even moving a half-ton sled/crate has drastic expense so with covid upending travel planning, equipment planning is difficult as well.  Lodging/airfare/food is done on a relatively ad-hoc basis and also difficult as the Covid situation unfolds.

How can we stay in touch/follow along?
    This thread will be updated periodically for sure, and there's an easy signup link for the mailing list on the team page (BobTeamIsrael.com)

Is there a way to support the team? (have to put this one here--it is a tax-deductible CC spend opportunity)

As mentioned the team did have an agreement to be fully sponsored this year but due to the economic situation that fell entirely through.  As such I have committed to borrowing/taking a loan on the team's budget, since I believe this team has too much potential for good to let it fold. Donations of any kind and sponsorships are the lifeblood of the team and we are a 501c3 (so if you need to hit that CC spend, this is a pretty good way to do so  ;D )
    We do have corporate sponsorship avail. (logos on sleds/uniforms/jackets etc.) and donation opportunities.  If the season gets funded (so half the gofundme.com/israelbobsled mark,) I'll be raffling off my Olympic ring.
    https://www.paypal.com/fundraiser/charity/164739

Where do you train in the offseason?
    Training from May-October of next year will likely be at the Wingate Institute in Netanya.

What's the most meaningful part of the Olympic journey?
    Lighting channukah candles each year at the Koenigssee bobsled track next to Hitler's home.  Started the tradition in 2015 and it continues each year.  Already have my flight to Munich for December.  It's those kinds of little things that remind you who you represent.

Does the team have a name?
    Yep! BobTeam Edelman.  Bobsled team's are all named BobTeam XYZ where XYZ is the last name of the pilot.  Alternatively we are sometimes referred to as BobTeam Israel/Yisrael.

Are there other bobsled teams?
    Indeed there is one other Israeli bobsled team, piloted by a converted parabobsled athlete who found some success in the parabobsled sport.  Unfortunately, in able-bodied bobsled the sprinting start of the run is of the utmost importance and he is unable to perform that role (starting seated in the sled.)  Thus my team's mission is also to support their development if possible to try and get a second sled to the Games, though this would be incredibly difficult.

shirts/masks/mugs are sold at almost no markup just to get the word out and to provide a fun experience too:
    https://www.bonfire.com/store/bobteam-israel/[/list]
    « Last edited by hgeek23 on December 03, 2023, 08:39:57 PM »

Author Topic: BobTeam Edelman / 2026 Olympics thread  (Read 24506 times)

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
      • View Profile
      • Israel Olympian AJ Edelman / Israel Bobsled BobTeam Edelman
    • Location: A bobsled track going 90mph, or in a plane doing 500.
    • Programs: Sleeping-on-couches (Hachnasat Orchim) Diamond
    Re: BobTeam Edelman / 2022 Olympics thread
    « Reply #80 on: February 27, 2021, 07:07:43 PM »
    +100

Would love to try! Do you pick up hitchhikers?  ;)

Haha yep! But I'm in Korea at the moment and need someone for March 12-30. American hitchhikers are out of luck for now :p

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: March 02, 2021, 05:15:10 PM »
    Awesome! We need some running commentary. Looks like a great run, biggest struggle coming out of turn 9 - can you explain what happened?
    Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: March 11, 2021, 11:02:21 AM »
    Awesome! We need some running commentary. Looks like a great run, biggest struggle coming out of turn 9 - can you explain what happened?

Absolutely! I'll provide a full commentary after the race tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
    AJ

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
      • View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: March 11, 2021, 11:10:42 AM »
    Absolutely! I'll provide a full commentary after the race tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.
    AJ
    Looking forward! I hope there's no weight limit, because we will all be with you (in our hearts) for the ride...  ;D

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: March 15, 2021, 09:28:16 AM »
    Looking forward! I hope there's no weight limit, because we will all be with you (in our hearts) for the ride...  ;D

Weight limit is 390kg with everyone and the sled for a 2-man bobsleigh :)

Now, as for the corners, from my perspective--
    0--the push start: self explanatory--push the sled fast! Get in and settled so you are able to push the lever inside the sled that controls the push bar in time.  Grab the steering rings inside before the end of the "grooves" in the ice end and you are headed into corner 1.

1--left handed curve, 1 pressure--dont want to go in too much to the left here, if you do you'll end up going around the corner too much and you will go too much on the right in 2 which can cause problems.  get into the curve from the middle or right, get out with enough time to push the sled into the second corner on the middle or left side.

2--danger corner! if you do nothing the sled will go on a straight line around the curve as the roof dives down.  you'll intersect with the roof and bam--all sorts of problems.  manipulate the sled to remain parallel with the roof. this is very difficult, get out into curve 3 without smashing the left wall.

3--left to right, one pressure curve.  "generate pressure" to bring you back to the left side entering 4.

4--left to right (same direction as 3, more difficult then to enter correctly,) steer the sled to parallel, looking for the exit as it dives and exit 4 with a cross gradually into 5, without entering 5 pointed up into the curve.

5--right to left, long 2 pressure curve--DANGER curve--can easily flip.  get in, point the sled to parallel and when it comes around the curve dont let it get height at the end or rise up too much.  also don't steer into a dip or you will crash.

6--one pressure left to right--steer this perfectly enough to get a cross into 7 on the right side.

7--left to right, mid-level danger corner, one and a half pressures--manipulate the bounce at the 2/3 points.  if the bounce is too late you can flip on the end--too high you will run onto the wood (we come very close in the POV.)  extremely important to cross from right to left and enter 8 on the left enough.

8. Left to right, 2 pressures--DANGER CORNER--get in on the left side, manipulate the sled to parallel and dont let it take too much height or you can drop down and rise back up on the end, flipping.  get out of the corner and cross into the next corner on the right side.

9. Right to left, no way to properly explain this one, it sucks and it's hard and no one gets it perfect.  Steer in it the way you need to and pray.  don't let it come down too early.  Get out you're going to hit 95% of the time or more.

10/11 are in the "chicane" or what is a non-straight straight.  10 is on the right, hit that one, 11 is on the left most of the way down, hit that too but make sure to hit it while parallel to the wall.  head into 12 however you enter--you can't steer appropriately in a straight.

12--right to left, long 2 pressure, DANGER corner--sled will jump in, make sure it doesn't go anywhere drastic, let it run it's course midway through the curve, on the end is the difficulty, you want to get into the next corner with a nice cross, but without hitting the wall before 13.  manipulate the height on the end to do so.  we have a nice cross in the POV.

13--left to right, 1 pressure, want to generate pressure in this curve to pull you back into 14 similar to [3 to 4].  dont let the sled rise on the end of the curve, and keep it off the left wall before 14.

14--Left to right, 2 pressure DANGER corner--you hit max speed here--get in, point the sled parallel and away from the roof, letting it do it's thing.  on the end you want to manipulate it so it doesnt come back onto the curve and flip over as it's ending.  get out of the curve with a cross into 15 and pointed not too much towards the 15 roof.

15.  right to left, 1 pressure, going to hurt your breakman if you don't go in parallel.  the sled will go way high and abruptly as well.  get in, turn the sled so it doesn't go to the roof, and do what you can to get off the corner without skidding uphill which will kill your speed. avoid hitting the right or left walls, which i tap the right in the POV into 16.

16--Left to right, 3 pressures, just don't let the sled flip here on the end, but steer as little as possible, the finish line is just after it!
    « Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 11:01:52 AM by hgeek23 »

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
      • View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: March 15, 2021, 10:39:04 AM »
    Now, as for the corners, from my perspective--
    It's fascinating (and really impressive) how much nuance goes into the short ride! To me it looked like a roller coaster - just buckle in and enjoy the ride.

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: March 15, 2021, 11:03:47 AM »
    It's fascinating (and really impressive) how much nuance goes into the short ride! To me it looked like a roller coaster - just buckle in and enjoy the ride.

You need to do a bunch in bob! It's definitely a tricky thing. Our steering is secret and learned through a lot of blood and sweat so I've cut out a few things that if someone found could use to a competitive advantage, but left a lot in to help a lay person understand the gist of it. Feel free to ask any questions though of course!

Online lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
      • View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: March 15, 2021, 07:09:11 PM »
    You need to do a bunch in bob! It's definitely a tricky thing. Our steering is secret and learned through a lot of blood and sweat so I've cut out a few things that if someone found could use to a competitive advantage, but left a lot in to help a lay person understand the gist of it. Feel free to ask any questions though of course!
    Wow,
    I'm also amazed by the sheer intense detail and skill that goes into this!

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: March 19, 2021, 10:10:37 AM »
    https://mailchi.mp/8a7c0a81f8de/a-historic-season

Sent out an email to the supporters--link above, a brief season's recap.
    Also copied below albeit without accompanying pictures.

To my very wonderful friends and supporters,

The 2020/21 season has now come to a close and what an absolutely historic season it has been, setting multiple Israeli records and setting new standards in Israeli Bobsleigh.  Our placements this season included 2 noteworthy achievements:
    --Israel’s first ever bobsleigh podium in an international competition
    --Highest ever placement for an Israeli bobsleigh team in an IBSF-calendar competition
    Our performance as a team was also something to take extreme pride in. By season’s end, we had established ourselves as worthy competition against the Olympic silver medalist on his home track (more below about the Korea Cup.)

I’d like to stress that all of the team’s accomplishments are Israel’s accomplishments, and yours as well. If you are receiving this email, you were a part of the journey.  As an (extended) member of the team, I hope you can share in our pride.  This season has cemented the confidence in our prospects. We stand the greatest chance since the original Israeli bobsleigh team 15 years ago of earning Israel an Olympic berth.

It’s been a long while since I provided an update. In that time, a full season has gone by.
    November-February:
    Training this season exclusively took place at the Alpensia Olympic Sliding Center, a return to the track where I last competed on behalf of Israel. In 2018, following the Olympic Games here in PyeongChang, I felt compelled for a number of reasons (a couple of ones having to do with the experience at the Games in PyeongChang,) to leave sliding sport and work for the team in other roles.  At the time, I believed that this was the last time I might have the opportunity to wear our flag, and it was an emotional farewell.

It seemed fitting to continue the journey at this very track.  But the only thing that truly mattered was what was optimal for the team's success, and in that regard there was absolutely no question—no other location in the world could provide what PyeongChang could.  Any teams stuck in the United States would be greatly limited in their ability to develop.  Outside of a few competitions there was almost no training available to international teams and no facilities to take advantage of. In contrast, PyeongChang remained open the entire season to international teams, of which we were one of only two (Australia being the other).  By season’s end we had taken more training runs (over 200) than any other bobsleigh team in the world not situated at their home track.  The run volume was invaluable—the only means of improving during the season is to get on ice, and there was not a day we missed.   

We were also fortunate to have world class facilities available to us—one of only a few functioning “ice-houses” (a practice indoor starting facility to improve the sprinting start) is located in PyeongChang and was available for use, as was a gym. The team trained and developed in both the 2-man and 4-man bobsleigh discipline.  The physical toll is brutal on the athletes and training daily in 4-man is not possible due to injury risk, so we switched often, taking more runs in the 2-man to keep our push-athletes fresh. We also received excellent coaching from 2 coaches available to us in PyeongChang—Heath Spence (2014 Olympian, 2-man and 4-man, Australia) and Dorin Grigoire (2018, Romania.)

I recorded a front-and-back POV (point-of-view) video in the 4-man so you can hear and see what I do on the run—it’s a minute long and I highly suggest watching if you haven’t had the opportunity to see a run before.

February-March—Training and Competition, history made:
    Early February brought on our first international competition at the Horizon’s Cup in PyeongChang.  Although originally billed as an IBSF-sanctioned event, due to a delay in the organizers filing paperwork, it was eventually determined not to be included on the IBSF calendar.  It was considered an international competition with teams from Korea, Vietnam, and Israel, but it did not count towards one of our Olympic requirements.

Bobsleigh is considered to be essentially Formula-1 racing on ice.  A good analogy is that even the best racing driver can’t win a formula one race in a Toyota Prius. A monumental contributor to results is equipment, of which competitive equipment is prohibitively expensive, especially for our team in the 2-man discipline.  We had been training in a rented 13 year old 2-man sled with a massive crack in both sides of the fiberglass, resulting in large speed losses, and with runners (essentially our tires) that were way too sharp for the weather.  Our goal was to show what we could do against the best given the tools we had to work with, and I cannot overstate how proud I am of the team’s results. The team came together beautifully during the event, securing a historic first for Israel Bobsleigh: a podium finish in an international competition with a Silver in the first event, ahead of another Korean team on home track.

Bolstered by this result the team trained hard for the Korea Cup in March, which was placed on the IBSF calendar and doubled as the National Team Selection Races for Korea. The top 3 teams in the competition were the top 3 teams for Korea, including the reigning Olympic Silver medalist Yunjong Won.  Our goal was to finish as close to Yunjong as possible.  Putting down a good result relative to the world’s best would put Israel on the radar, so to speak, and I’m proud to say we did just that. In the race we finished 2.4 seconds over 2 runs behind Yunjong, a monumental result, and a placement higher than any other Israeli bobsleigh team (4 of 8) in an IBSF competition in history.  We placed ahead of a Korean team and both Vietnamese teams.  It was an incredible boost for a team that only 6 months ago was looking like it might not come together. This competition closed out the competitive season and we have now officially entered the offseason.

What’s next?  When is the qualification season?  What else is necessary?
    We have from now until October to improve in all of the ways we can off the ice.  For the athletes, this means pushing faster and better.  Sprinting and lifting is the name of the game. For the team as a whole, this means a host of things that need to be secured.
    -finances
    -team managers
    -equipment
    -coaches
    Through generous support of individuals, Toyota and Ariel Property Advisors, the team managed to secure 12% of the budget this season, with 88% unfunded.  This is unsustainable and it is hard to envision a way for the team to have a qualifying season without finding a more complete sponsorship arrangement.  Our equipment cannot keep up and we won’t be able to afford coaching, medical and training care, and logistics.

On the logistics and team management front, I will be searching for a team manager.  It was brutal and exhausting work to manage the team while simultaneously training. For our Olympic qualification season, we will need someone to take care of this more completely.

Equipment-wise, if we find the funds we will attempt to secure more competitive equipment.

Coaching-wise, we will need to find a dedicated coach who can travel with us.

We’ll be based from October onwards largely in North America where we will compete on the North American Cup circuit en route to Beijing qualification.  The competitions will take place November through about January 10th, with the Beijing Games opening on February 4th, 2022.

Thank you so very much for being a part of this journey.  The team’s success is Israel’s success and you yourselves are a part of the team. Even simple messages of encouragement go a long way and we really appreciate all the support.

My deepest appreciation,
    AJ

Online lcm

• View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: March 19, 2021, 11:55:06 AM »
    Wow, wow, wow!
    Fantastic update, these accomplishment are huge and monumental!
    It is really beautiful and inspiring to see where things are now, as you put it-consodering where things were 6 months ago.
    Lots and lots of Hatzalcha going forward to clinch this!

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: March 20, 2021, 09:03:02 PM »
    Wow, wow, wow!
    Fantastic update, these accomplishment are huge and monumental!
    It is really beautiful and inspiring to see where things are now, as you put it-consodering where things were 6 months ago.
    Lots and lots of Hatzalcha going forward to clinch this!

אמן!

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
      • View Profile
    « Reply #91 on: May 03, 2021, 08:39:00 PM »
    How are things coming along?

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #92 on: May 14, 2021, 09:13:33 AM »
    How are things coming along?

Training hard. The chances of making the games are quite high but unfortunately we just have now the same issues that have always been the concern. Funds.

In 4 months I will need to raise an enormous amount and it's just not the reality that the team is a priority for people or companies. I'm concerned. We're at the doorstep but we can't open the door without the right pieces.

I head to Israel in about a month for a combine for the athletes, one of a few to see who might be priority for the Olympic team. I'm excited, we have 9 terrific athletes lined up. But here too is an issue in that ideally we'd take the top 5 of them to placid in September/October and see which of them gelled well with the setting and team (many people quit after day 1 in a sled so we can't just take 3,) but telling athletes to quit their jobs to do something dangerous and not certain of their placements or qualification, without any kind of financial support just isn't really an appealing option for many.

Training in California this week and next then back to New York for training another few weeks and Israel the week of the 20th of June. I miss my country and it hurts to be outside of it at this time of need.

Online lcm

• View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: May 14, 2021, 07:45:59 PM »
    Wow, wow, wow!
    Thanks for the update, was getting worried too.
    It's fantastic that it looks like you are really making it, wow!!

I wish you lots and lots of Hatzalcha in bringing funds, may it come easily and bountifully, more that you even expected!

Welcome back to the US, and Hazlacha Rabbah and safe trip!!

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #94 on: July 12, 2021, 05:04:34 PM »
    Busy 2 months!
    Had a trip to Israel to run our combine and shoot 6 days with the Olympic Channel (a series called Far From Home--it will come out in January, 2022), with the other 4 spent on team related issues, speaking at Toyota, and unsuccessfully fundraising.

We had 11 athletes attend the combine.  5 of them would have made the US National Bobsleigh Team standard--it was a terrific showing.  It was an obscene amount of work to put it all together but at the end of the day we found some terrific talent.

Unfortunately, this year's budget has swelled to $282,000.  $70,000 of that is the flights, accommodation, housing, and food for the 6 athletes that i want to bring aboard the team for the season.  While i've taken a loan for a large part of the season, hoping that i can repay it with future sponsorship and fundraising, the reality is that supporting the 6 athletes is not financially feasible.  As such, I told them that unless a miracle occurs, they would have to pay for their flights, accommodation and food.

The top 2 athletes wrote me to tell me that they cannot afford to come over given this financial burden as one is in the army (an elite athlete in Tzahal, he makes $250/month,) and the other is a student.  It was an extremely heavy blow. Though the team can qualify with other athletes in 4-man bobsleigh with my driving ability, they would have put 2-man bobsleigh into contention (given their speed and ability to push,) and that was devastating.

If you'd like to see what a budget for a bobsleigh season looks like i've attached it.  If you know anyone looking to manufacture an extreme amount of credit card spend or looking for a tax deduction, please feel free to DM.

At this point the next steps are to put faith in Hashem that things will work out and then do the work to lay the foundations for success.  The stress has far surpassed that of skeleton, which i would not have thought possible.  in skeleton the stress resulted from uncertainty that we might qualify, in fact i was quite sure that the chances were small.  Here i know the chances to be quite large and i had expected a far easier time of things.  unfortunately, that hasn't been the case.

The very positive thing to have taken from the israel trip though is how I am certain that it will normalize and introduce people to modern orthodoxy or Judaism in general.  Much time was spent talking about the connection to Eretz Yisrael (Land of Israel,) filming putting on tfillin, at the Kotel (western wall,) and other things which would seem foreign to many.  I can think of no greater impact than if someone watches the episode and thinks to themselves "wow, they're just normal people like me."

There are 6 weeks until the first team camp is due to take place--i'm praying that a miracle does occur in that time.

This team will cross the finish line, with Gd's help.
    AJ

Online lcm

• View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: July 12, 2021, 06:36:10 PM »
    @hgeek23 WOW!
    Speechless!
    Firstly, it's fantastic to hear the amazing updates, I was literally thinking the other week that we haven't heard from you in a while.
    Secondly, it's very inspiring to hear your vision of inspiring others, and primarily your determination and faith with which you are just shooting straight ahead!
    May you have tons of continued hatzlacha!!

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: July 12, 2021, 07:35:34 PM »
    @hgeek23 WOW!
    Speechless!
    Firstly, it's fantastic to hear the amazing updates, I was literally thinking the other week that we haven't heard from you in a while.
    Secondly, it's very inspiring to hear your vision of inspiring others, and primarily your determination and faith with which you are just shooting straight ahead!
    May you have tons of continued hatzlacha!!

אמן.
    I went to Rav machlis in Jerusalem to get a bracha for success. I'm sure that gave us an extra push!

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
      • View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: August 17, 2021, 07:53:25 PM »
    An update sent to supporters today

Olympic Preseason Update-August
    An Olympic medalist joins the team, combines in Israel, training and the need for major help

In Brief:

Where the team stands and unique challenges, new promo video

Team selection combine/testing held in Israel in June/July—11 athletes in attendance. 8 made cut for final team selection camp in September/October

Olympic Channel will release an episode on the team (likely January)

Upcoming schedule and steps

An Olympic medalist Joins BobTeam Edelman

Where the Team Stands
    The team is in great shape but are in need of help. The unique challenges of the Olympic season has meant that the budget is almost 2x what it was last season, standing at over $290,000. Thankfully, though immensely generous contributions and efforts we have managed to dwarf last year’s fundraising and have already 10% of the budget committed. This is terrific progress but we still need help! Our promo video was released last week and let’s spread the word and share!

With your help we will make it to the finish line. If you’d like a packet to send to people interested in making a tax-deductible donation to the team or putting their logo on the bobsleds, please dm me or email adam.edelman@olympian.org and i’ll send you our materials. Direct donation instructions are at the bottom of this message.

Team Combine and First Cuts
    In late June we held a combine for 11 prospective athletes in Israel. The athletes were tested in a number of categories sprinting, jumping and lifting – above all ability to work as a team and with a sled. We found some truly talented prospects and believe our team this coming season will be even more successful than we were last season. Of the 11 athletes who tried out, 8 hit superior athletic criteria and were invited to a final team selection camp/tryout in September/October.

While I continue to train in NY these athletes are coalescing in Israel. They will join me after the Yom Kippur holiday around the 19th of September in Calgary, Canada for a final team-selection process where the team will be ranked and cut down to 5-6 push athletes (3 primary for 4-man, a primary for 2-man who can also be used in 4-man, and 2 alternates.)
    2 of last season’s athletes are not returning, primarily due to difficulties in funding their travels and we wish them very well.

Olympic Channel Episode
    While we were together in Israel we also began filming an episode for the Olympic channel on the bobsled team. Expect that to be complete and broadcasted in January, 2022. I'm immensely proud of that episode, as I believe it will present an accurate and beautiful representation of how this nearly impossible dream has been brought to the precipice of reality, while also presenting Israel and our people in a positive light.

An Olympic medalist Joins the team
    I have to keep this under wraps publicly but an Olympic medalist has joined the team. In September I can make it a bit well known but have to keep it under wraps for now.

Upcoming Schedule and Steps
    The schedule upcoming:

September 17-October 29: Team selection camp and final cuts

October 30-November 14: Races 1-3, Whistler BC

November 15-November 29: Races 4 and 5, Park City, UT

November 30-December 14: Races 6-8, Lake Placid, NY

December 14-January 1st: Training

January 1-8: Race 9,10, Europe

January 8-16: Race 11, 12, Europe

How to Donate
    Donations to BobTeam Edelman are 501c3 tax-deductible, processed by the Israeli Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation, Inc. (EIN-45-2617767):

Checks may be made out to “Israeli Bobsleigh and Skeleton Federation, Inc.” and sent to 16420 N 92nd Street # 115, Scottsdale, AZ 85260.

Please include “Edelman” in the memo line for it to be recognized as intended for our team.

Credit Card donations (automatic tax-receipt) can be made through the paypal giving fund at

https://www.paypal.com/fundraiser/charity/164739

or https://www.paypal.com/donate/?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=U4QV3A4V6CJAY if outside the USA (direct contribution to team, not 501c3)

BTC, ETH and other cryptocurrencies are also gratefully accepted.
    BTC: bc1q6nxksnczfepvwkdax0f4dp5ln7uf9ksgzfrudg
    ETH: 0xB29dc4EF7d5C7A704D15a12B78794D6992a866f9
    Doge: D6KQL8FxWr9HZdpZQWkyJ98Vx3ZWaVgcZ7
    Other cryptos also accepted, please respond to this email for any other addresses

All in all, things are looking terrific for our chances. I have no doubt that our team will reach the historic goal of Olympic qualification.

But we do need your help. Please share the video with anyone you think might be interested in being a part of this journey with us. Together, let's make history!

Sincerely, and with much gratitude,

AJ Edelman