Poll

Are we back in 1936?

Yes, and we should run for the hills
23 (37.1%)
No, stop being a conspiracy theorist
39 (62.9%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Are we back in 1936?  (Read 15243 times)

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
Re: Are we back in 1936?
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2020, 12:05:04 AM »
If they are posting fines on locked doors, that would have to be either motivated by hate, or caused by extreme stupidity.

I'd put a lot of money on extreme stupidity. From the top down.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2020, 12:06:33 AM »
I'd put a lot of money on extreme stupidity. From the top down.
Wow. So stupid to not even realize that you're supposed to only fine shuls that have more than 10 congregants? And, you know, maybe take a peek inside, so that you can tell the judge how much people you witnessed present?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2020, 12:15:23 AM »
Wow. So stupid to not even realize that you're supposed to only fine shuls that have more than 10 congregants? And, you know, maybe take a peek inside, so that you can tell the judge how much people you witnessed present?

What training were they given? What instructions were they given? If NY's idea of contact tracing is anything to go by, incompetence reigns. It's definitely a real enough possibility to give me serious pause before concluding there's widespread systemic anti-Semitism.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2020, 12:16:18 AM »
I'm not sure it boils down to anti-Semitism at its core. It comes down to inept people compounding thoughtless policies with further bad decisions, magnified by sending unqualified and untrained drones to enforce them all. Is it 100% wrong and indefensible? Yes. Is it motivated by hate? That's a harder sell.
Totally agree. Is it time for cheshbon hanefesh now?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2020, 12:20:34 AM »
Totally agree. Is it time for cheshbon hanefesh now?

I think you agreeing with me is more exception than rule. You're still good. But be careful... it's a slippery slope.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2020, 12:22:07 AM »
I think you agreeing with me is more exception than rule. You're still good. But be careful... it's a slippery slope.
'Totally' agreeing indeed is  ;)

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2020, 05:56:43 PM »
I have been off the forums for a bit so I didn't see this thread till now and it brings up interesting points

One point missed is that we are forgetting what happened BEFORE covid. Jersey City, Monsey on Chanuka etc etc. These were just two of many anti semitic attacks. It was getting uncomfortable well before covid.

I'm not sure it boils down to anti-Semitism at its core. It comes down to inept people compounding thoughtless policies with further bad decisions, magnified by sending unqualified and untrained drones to enforce them all. Is it 100% wrong and indefensible? Yes. Is it motivated by hate? That's a harder sell.
BLM had riots with gross violations and the politicians did squat. All the jews did wrong was try to practice their religion in a way that is incompatible with the goverment restrictions. (no, I don't buy the "but they should have been wearing masks" argument. A tefilla or a tish with thousands of masked people isn't going to make anyone happier). I think there is SOME anti semitism involved. Look at NJ. The numbers here were plenty bad yet Gov Murphy chose to work WITH our community not AGAINST us like in NY.

Another point is that this country was founded on the right to religious freedom. The government and the courts have been trampling on these rights for the last 7 months. Basically any government official can make any rule in the name of public health whether there is scientific basis or not and nothing can stop them.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2020, 06:12:12 PM »
I have been off the forums for a bit so I didn't see this thread till now and it brings up interesting points

One point missed is that we are forgetting what happened BEFORE covid. Jersey City, Monsey on Chanuka etc etc. These were just two of many anti semitic attacks. It was getting uncomfortable well before covid.
BLM had riots with gross violations and the politicians did squat. All the jews did wrong was try to practice their religion in a way that is incompatible with the goverment restrictions. (no, I don't buy the "but they should have been wearing masks" argument. A tefilla or a tish with thousands of masked people isn't going to make anyone happier). I think there is SOME anti semitism involved. Look at NJ. The numbers here were plenty bad yet Gov Murphy chose to work WITH our community not AGAINST us like in NY.

Another point is that this country was founded on the right to religious freedom. The government and the courts have been trampling on these rights for the last 7 months. Basically any government official can make any rule in the name of public health whether there is scientific basis or not and nothing can stop them.

The question isn't whether there is anti-Semitism. Of course there is! Since the beginning of time, and until the end. The question is how much of the "enforcement" we've seen over the last week is gross incompetence vs anti-Semitism? BLM's issues were a different animal altogether, and the government's policies towards them were purely political. The situations are not comparable.

I think one thing many NYers are missing is the extent of Cuomo's gaivah. He really thinks he solved Covid back in April. The man wants to be universally obeyed and adored. Spitting in his face will only make him angrier and less reasonable. Contrasting with Murphy, who is of a different temperament and chooses to handle things a little differently, doesn't make Cuomo an anti-Semite. It just makes him look foolish and incompetent.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2020, 06:24:12 PM »
The question isn't whether there is anti-Semitism. Of course there is! Since the beginning of time, and until the end. The question is how much of the "enforcement" we've seen over the last week is gross incompetence vs anti-Semitism? BLM's issues were a different animal altogether, and the government's policies towards them were purely political. The situations are not comparable.

I think one thing many NYers are missing is the extent of Cuomo's gaivah. He really thinks he solved Covid back in April. The man wants to be universally obeyed and adored. Spitting in his face will only make him angrier and less reasonable. Contrasting with Murphy, who is of a different temperament and chooses to handle things a little differently, doesn't make Cuomo an anti-Semite. It just makes him look foolish and incompetent.
+1k
We can still turn him into an anti-Semite if we will scream that enough over and over.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2020, 07:43:43 PM »
Today in the morning at the Lakewood GG chase branch  before 9 I walked in to use the ATM, a non Jew walked in behind me talking on the phone on speaker, 'I am in chase waiting for the ATM someone is using it' the other guy on speaker 'it's not a Jew right?'
["-"]

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2020, 07:56:46 PM »

Cuomo acting foolish still fuels the rise in antisemitism.  Making covid into a Jewish issue

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2020, 08:10:05 PM »
Cuomo acting foolish still fuels the rise in antisemitism.  Making covid into a Jewish issue

No arguments here. Covid is very much a Jewish issue. IMO, it puts the onus on us a bit to make sure our actions and reactions don't create consequences which we don't want to have to deal with down the road.

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2020, 08:41:48 PM »
+1k
We can still turn him into an anti-Semite if we will scream that enough over and over.
If I say blacks die of Covid at a higher rate because they don't take care of their health or because they don't SD I am a racist. If Cuomo yells that Jews don't SD and uses scam science to justify heavy crackdowns, then continuously harps on the Jews at his press conference,  and Deblasio sends every available inspector in the city to give fines whether there are violations or not, that's the Jews fault not antisemitism.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2020, 08:46:31 PM »
If I say blacks die of Covid at a higher rate because they don't take care of their health or because they don't SD I am a racist. If Cuomo yells that Jews don't SD and uses scam science to justify heavy crackdowns, then continuously harps on the Jews at his press conference,  and Deblasio sends every available inspector in the city to give fines whether there are violations or not, that's the Jews fault not antisemitism.

If you can prove that Black people don't take care of their health, we can have a conversation. Are you implying that there has been any semblance of social distancing in Frum Brooklyn?

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2020, 10:09:24 PM »
What's the story with members of the National Guard roaming the streets of Borough Park? Didn't Cuomo refuse to send in the National Guard during the riots? All of a sudden, to BP where there is zero violence, it is ok to send down the National Guard? What is the purpose of that anyways? I assume they're not issuing citations, are they?

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2020, 10:18:19 PM »
What's the story with members of the National Guard roaming the streets of Borough Park? Didn't Cuomo refuse to send in the National Guard during the riots? All of a sudden, to BP where there is zero violence, it is ok to send down the National Guard? What is the purpose of that anyways? I assume they're not issuing citations, are they?
I heard that one of them lives in the neighborhood & they were off duty. They weren’t involved in anything.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2020, 10:39:27 PM »
I heard that one of them lives in the neighborhood & they were off duty. They weren’t involved in anything.
I was wondering, because involving the National Guard would be really extreme, although, somehow involving every department in NYC's too big government is also crazy.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2020, 10:48:04 PM »
Today in the morning at the Lakewood GG chase branch  before 9 I walked in to use the ATM, a non Jew walked in behind me talking on the phone on speaker, 'I am in chase waiting for the ATM someone is using it' the other guy on speaker 'it's not a Jew right?'

I was in a NYC hospital yesterday (not COVID related) and was next in line. A distraught (perhaps deranged) elderly man tried to cut the line and the lady told him he has to wait. He started muttering “go back to Jerusalem” to me repeatedly. When I politely told him that it was the hospital clerk and not me who told him to wait the line, he first said he wasn’t talking to me, then he told me “f*** you, Jew” and some other choice words. A security guard was standing right there and overheard the entire exchange, he politely led the man away.

Later I was sitting in a waiting room nearby right next to this man, and he either didn’t recognize me or he had calmed down. He didn’t look my way or tell me another word.

Not the first time something similar has happened to me, and I still don’t feel like Brooklyn in 2020 is like 1936 Europe...
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2020, 10:52:08 PM »
I once had some road range with some guy and we were both trying to pass each other till we walked in to the same Dr office..... It was quite embarrassing 😂
["-"]

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2020, 11:22:02 PM »
I once had some road range with some guy and we were both trying to pass each other till we walked in to the same Dr office..... It was quite embarrassing 😂
anger management therapy? ;D