Author Topic: Dealer Lease buyout  (Read 83089 times)

Offline justaregularguy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Dealer Lease buyout
« Reply #480 on: September 21, 2023, 08:16:18 PM »
found a few threads this might be appropriate for, but this is fine

i have zero zero background on leasing and buyouts and 3rd party sellers and all that stuff.
my cousin offered to sell me his car for all cash which i have. its a lease, over in 1 week. id "buyout" the car wtvr that is.

question: is this a common thing? do dealers facilitate this or theyre not involved at all?

am i buying from my cousin, or from the dealer?

does my cousin put down my name on the contract when buying out from the dealer maybe?

also i saw someone post about double tax in NY? whats that all about? state and city? (cousin lives in nj im in ny. idk if the lease is from nj but lets say it is)

please help! 🙏
thank you!!
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 21, 2023, 09:42:52 PM »

i have zero zero background on leasing and buyouts and 3rd party sellers and all that stuff.
my cousin offered to sell me his car for all cash which i have. its a lease, over in 1 week. id "buyout" the car wtvr that is.

question: is this a common thing? do dealers facilitate this or theyre not involved at all?

does my cousin put down my name on the contract when buying out from the dealer maybe?

also i saw someone post about double tax in NY? whats that all about? state and city? (cousin lives in nj im in ny. idk if the lease is from nj but lets say it is)

please help! 🙏
thank you!!
The first question is what brand is the car.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 21, 2023, 09:57:06 PM »
honda civic

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 21, 2023, 10:16:58 PM »
honda civic
Honda doesn't allow 3rd party buyouts. Your best option is to find a Honda dealer that will facilitate the transaction for a few hundred dollars.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #484 on: September 21, 2023, 10:46:19 PM »

please help! 🙏
thank you!!
honda civic
@justaregularguy  Feel free to message me. Went through the whole process myself.

And if you don't want to message me, here's a short summary.

For starters, you have to find out if the company, in this case, Honda, lets you do third-party buyouts.
Which they don't. So...
That leaves it for you to buy it from him.

He'll need to pay it off.
Log onto the lease website. For example, with my Hyundai, I was able to go onto Hyundai's leasing website and attach my bank account and make the full payment. If not, you'll need to mail a check for the remaining balance of the vehicle.
Now the car is paid off, you'll get the title in his name and a bill of sale.
If it's leased in NJ, it makes your life easier. If in NY, you'll have to do the paperwork there to title it in his name. Again, all depends on where you live and where he leased the car. If all in the same state, less work to do.

Either way, you'll title it in his name.
I'm just putting it out there; a friend wanted to take ownership of a Honda, which was leased in NY, and he lives in NJ.
So he went to title it on behalf of his sibling, who lives in NY. But they didn't let him do the paperwork because he had an NJ license. He had to get someone who had a NY license to do the work for him to title it in his sibling's name. Again, YMMV depending on who you get at the DMV.
But after doing that, he took the title to NJ and titled it in his name and registered it in the state he lives in.

Lots of random points...
Get a copy of his license to title it on his behalf.
Should you want to title it in your name during the same visit to the DMV, then you'll need a power of attorney letter. You can find a pre-written one or make your own with yours and his address and state exactly what you're doing, all coming from the owner of the car, stating that he's allowing you to sign on his behalf on the title and
Sell the car to you and ...
Or to make life simple, have him come with you to the DMV/MVC or bring home the title and have him sign it and fill it out like a regular sale, stating that he's selling the car to you.
Again, if you're going to pay the remaining lease off, then the tax should or will be added to the total. So make sure when filling out the title that you write GIFT in the sale price to avoid paying tax for a second time.
Pretty straightforward.
I had to do all my research on my own. But after doing the research, it wasn't, in fact, that complicated.
I was able to help two friends facilitate such a transfer since I did mine a few months ago.
It paid off the time I spent, being that I was able to help others do the same.
As well, you can also call the NJ or NY DMV/MVC offices, and they'll tell you exactly what needs to be done.

Probably worth writing a short report of my recent MVC visits. From taking over a NY lease in NJ and an NJ in NJ. Different make vehicles.

Adding a spouse to a title after the fact. Needed to do that so I could get a discount on a second Hyundai vehicle I was planning to buy.
Though changing and adding my spouse as the owner and myself as the co-owner, as that would get my spouse's name on the registration card, as only one name is on the registration while the other owner is on the receipt with the license number. So, for a discount on a second car to make everything simpler, having the documents that match with the family member's name. Required a new title and new plates since I changed ownership. But just to add a spouse in NJ, it's $67 for a new title adding a co-owner. But changing who's the owner and who's now the co-owner would now require new plates.

Changed my registration to another address for the purpose above. Changed online for free. New NJ license with a new address cost me $11.75 if I wanted an updated card. New registration paper with an updated address cost $5.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 10:53:35 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Willie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 21, 2023, 10:50:46 PM »

please help! 🙏
thank you!!

get quotes from carvana, algo, carmax no?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 21, 2023, 10:51:58 PM »

get quotes from carvana, algo, carmax no?
Lol he wants the car. Never mentioned he wants to sell it.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 21, 2023, 10:55:37 PM »
Honda doesn't allow 3rd party buyouts. Your best option is to find a Honda dealer that will facilitate the transaction for a few hundred dollars.
Saved the few bucks and did it on my own. Not hard to do.
Yes, if you're lazy, or cant find the time to do it, have a dealer buy it out and then buy it from them with a fee above. Or do it on your own.

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 22, 2023, 12:06:10 AM »
What about double tax?

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 22, 2023, 12:19:07 AM »
@justaregularguy  Feel free to message me. Went through the whole process myself.

And if you don't want to message me, here's a short summary.
 Et al
thank you for this grand summary!

And yes if I had time to research as you did I might be able to pull this off myself, but I don’t :(

Just one question- I’ve seen several approaches regarding the tax solution, one saying lower it a little, one saying take off a whole bunch, like put the sale down as 5,000$ so tax is low, and now you suggest set it as a gift straight up.

If I was a betting man which would be within the most reasonable of ways to go?

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 22, 2023, 10:47:31 AM »
Saved the few bucks and did it on my own. Not hard to do.
Yes, if you're lazy, or cant find the time to do it, have a dealer buy it out and then buy it from them with a fee above. Or do it on your own.
They don't officially allow it, how did you do a 3rd party buyout on your own?

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 26, 2023, 09:05:39 AM »
They don't officially allow it, how did you do a 3rd party buyout on your own?
Wasn't a 3rd party buyout, meaning I did all the work on my end so it may seem like a 3rd party buyout.
 I got the title in my siblings name now he owns the car, not the leasing company anymore. Now there's no need for me to register it in his name because I'm buying the vehicle.
(Not to confuse the two. The title is what shows ownership and in NJ you need to have the same person on the title and registration.) While in NY he can be on the Title and I can register it in my name so you don't have to bother buying out the car from your sibling who had a lease in his name.
 So I filled the title and wrote he's the seller, I'm the buyer and he's gifting it as he's my sibling(i did pay the full tax when i paid off the full value of the vehicle online, i attached my bank account information and made the payment.)
 Now I have a title in my name and I registered the car and got new plates.

What about double tax?
Not sure why everyone is so busy with double tax. Just gift it to your sibling. Family is allowed to gift a car.

thank you for this grand summary!

And yes if I had time to research as you did I might be able to pull this off myself, but I don’t :(

Just one question- I’ve seen several approaches regarding the tax solution, one saying lower it a little, one saying take off a whole bunch, like put the sale down as 5,000$ so tax is low, and now you suggest set it as a gift straight up.

If I was a betting man which would be within the most reasonable of ways to go?
Not exactly a tax expert, but If I were you just pay off the full lease and pay the appropriate tax on the remianing lease, and then let him sell you the car by filling out the title as you being the buyer and him the seller and in the price, you'll write gift. They won't ask any questions. You're entitled to receive a gift from your sibling.

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 26, 2023, 10:21:50 AM »
Wasn't a 3rd party buyout, meaning I did all the work on my end so it may seem like a 3rd party buyout.
 I got the title in my siblings name now he owns the car, not the leasing company anymore. Now there's no need for me to register it in his name because I'm buying the vehicle.
(Not to confuse the two. The title is what shows ownership and in NJ you need to have the same person on the title and registration.) While in NY he can be on the Title and I can register it in my name so you don't have to bother buying out the car from your sibling who had a lease in his name.
 So I filled the title and wrote he's the seller, I'm the buyer and he's gifting it as he's my sibling(i did pay the full tax when i paid off the full value of the vehicle online, i attached my bank account information and made the payment.)
 Now I have a title in my name and I registered the car and got new plates.
 Not sure why everyone is so busy with double tax. Just gift it to your sibling. Family is allowed to gift a car.
 Not exactly a tax expert, but If I were you just pay off the full lease and pay the appropriate tax on the remianing lease, and then let him sell you the car by filling out the title as you being the buyer and him the seller and in the price, you'll write gift. They won't ask any questions. You're entitled to receive a gift from your sibling.
Wow. Where do I start.
Anyone can gift a car to anyone, but a gift which is worth $20,000 may trigger an audit since they know people do this to avoid paying sales tax.

I hope and pray that you don't get audited, because they will see the funds going from your bank account to the finance company.

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 27, 2023, 06:50:54 AM »
Wow. Where do I start.
Anyone can gift a car to anyone, but a gift which is worth $20,000 may trigger an audit since they know people do this to avoid paying sales tax.

I hope and pray that you don't get audited, because they will see the funds going from your bank account to the finance company.
Those funds from the bank account to the finance company has sales tax included, and if anything, would show that in reality he bought it directly from them and not from his sibling.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 27, 2023, 10:13:00 AM »
Those funds from the bank account to the finance company has sales tax included, and if anything, would show that in reality he bought it directly from them and not from his sibling.
Well said. That's exactly was I was trying to do.
 Besides the vehicle being under 20k.
Don't think I did anything wrong. Paid sales tax and put it in my name.  They make it complicated with no 3rd party buyouts. But I avoided that by buying it out and gifting it.
Though I would have liked to title it directly in my name which would have kept the extended warranty intact. But beggers can't be choosers.

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: September 27, 2023, 10:26:11 AM »
Huh?

On paper, his sibling bought the car and then gifted it to him. He did that to avoid paying sales tax two times.

In the event of an audit, they will see that it was not gifted, because he paid for the car from his account.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #496 on: September 27, 2023, 08:02:51 PM »
Huh?

On paper, his sibling bought the car and then gifted it to him. He did that to avoid paying sales tax two times.

In the event of an audit, they will see that it was not gifted, because he paid for the car from his account.
But in truth you are not required to pay sales tax on an item you are purchasing to resell, only most people don’t bother with the proper paperwork. I don’t think you’d actually owe the state money if it comes to that. (Technically you’re not allowed to buy a car to resell without a dealer’s license but I don’t think an auditor will care about that. Worst case, you’ll have a hard time getting a dealer’s license should you so desire).
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 27, 2023, 08:57:09 PM »
As a reference I ended up using leaseland from money. Yoel from leaseland is a really nice guy- he works with an official Honda dealer who purchased the car (I sent cousin money-he sent leaseland check-leaseland sent to Honda dealer). Leaseland then will register and get me title for car. His fee is 350$ which was a whole lot better than the 500-1000 quote I had heard of.
Cousin paid for fee
I pay for sales tax and registration approx 1700$ more. I think good deal all around

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #498 on: September 27, 2023, 10:12:58 PM »
Toms River Auto Sales (I’m related) facilitates lease buyouts every day.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ushdadude

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 20, 2024, 11:42:26 AM »
Honda CRV is up this week and can't extend it anymore. I see they don't allow 3rd party buyouts.
Is there a way to capitalize on it's equity though? Would it make sense to buy it ourselves and then trade it in (maybe after driving it for a bit longer)?

Would a honda dealer trade it in for another lease?